Classic Fights--Kimura vs. Gracie

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by cross_trainer, Jun 17, 2007.

1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    [yt]v2wO3dHUYwQ[/yt]

In 1955, Kimura, at 38 years old, participated in a match in which he defeated Hélio Gracie of the famous Gracie Jiu Jitsu family in a submission judo match held in Brazil. During the fight, Kimura threw Gracie repeatedly with ippon-seoinage (one arm shoulder throw), osotogari (major outer sweep), and haraigoshi (sweeping hip throw). Kimura reportedly threw Gracie repeatedly in an effort to knock him unconscious. However, the floor of the fighting area was apparently too soft to allow this to happen. Kimura also inflicted painful, suffocating grappling techniques on Gracie such as kuzure-kamishiho-gatame (modified upper four corner hold), kesa-gatame (scarf hold), and sankaku-gatame (triangle choke).

This content is protected

Finally, thirteen minutes into the bout, Kimura positioned himself to apply a reverse ude-garami (arm entanglement, a shoulderlock). Gracie refused to submit, even after his arm broke, forcing Kimura to continue the lock on Gracie's broken arm. At this point, Carlos Gracie, Helio's older brother, threw in the towel to end the match to protect his brother's health. In 1994, Helio admitted in an interview that he had in fact been choked unconscious earlier in the match, but had revived and continued fighting.
    As a tribute to Kimura's victory, the reverse ude-garami technique has since been commonly referred to as the Kimura lock, or simply the Kimura, in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and, more recently, mixed martial arts circles.

2. oblate

oblate Active Member Full Member

Sep 16, 2004
  3. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Thanks. :good

4. LocoRoco

LocoRoco ★★★★★ Full Member

May 3, 2009
    Major Bump, but that is some interesting ****, love it

5. ryanty22

ryanty22 VRWC Sledgehammer Full Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Awesome. showed those overrated gracies a thing or two in that match

6. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007
    And you are judging that on a Judo vs BJJ match? There really is no such thing as JJJ anymore.

7. Stoo

Stoo Obsessed with Boxing banned

Apr 4, 2008
    I think our Asian friends might disagree. I mean BJJ is more popular these days, but sayin theres no such thing as JJJ anymore is a bit like saying theres no such things as french fries anymore because they serve them in America aswell

8. codeman99998

codeman99998 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 28, 2006
    :adminFrench fries aren't even actually French anyways. That's just a name Americans gave to them.

Japanese Jujitsu is something the Samurai used to do like, over 100 years ago. BJJ is actually based on Japanese Judo. JJJ is designed for battlefield combat with swords... it's really violent and there is no combat philosophy behind it, it's just a series of different techniques.

9. Stoo

Apr 4, 2008
    Um your wrong on the fries point, they just call em fries there cause they are actually in France
    Correct on your other points though :good cant believe Im actually arguing about fries, we all know they are called chips really anyway :patsch:nut

10. ryanty22

ryanty22 VRWC Sledgehammer Full Member

Jun 21, 2007
    your both wrong they arent called chips, or called french fries. they are freedom fries damnit get it right.:nut:nut:nut

11. Stoo

Apr 4, 2008
    I stand corrected :oops: hehe :patsch:rofl

12. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007
    JJJ is not the same as doing BJJ in Japan. There are obviously excellent grapplers of all types in Japan. I wouldn't call them any better than Brazils, but thats not the point.

I don't think you get the history of all this. JuJutsu was a name for a variety of systems of fighting. Kano developed Judo from this around 1880. Eventually Maeda taught the Gracies Judo, the Gracies tweaked it and called it BJJ. They chose BJJ as the name because of poor relations with the Kodokan, which ran Judo.

So yes, there are a few schools in the world claiming to be Japenese JuJutsu, but they are absolutely worthless unless you happen to live in fuedal Japan. JJJ hasn't produced anything useful to the world since Judo.

I mean really, tell me the best JJJ practioner alive today. Tell me any JJJ practioner alive today. Put them in with the best Japanese BJJ guy, probably Aoki or Kitaoka.

There are however some amazing Jiu Jitsu guys in Japan; the issue is that they are doing Brazillian Jiu Jitsu.

13. MattMattMatt

MattMattMatt Guest

If you ask any Frenchman he would tell you that chips/fries are considered to be of Belgian origin. Though there is debate as to whether they were originally Spanish.