Cleveland "Big Cat" Williams (1959) vs Ike "The President" Ibeabuchi (1997)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Sardu, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Sardu

Sardu RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012 Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    The Big Cat had broken Sonny Liston's nose before being kayoed himself in 1959. George Foreman rated him the #3 puncher he ever faced in the ring. A young Foreman had sparred with Williams they never actually had a real bout. He knocked out Ernie Terrell and Zora Folley.

In late 1964, Williams was shot for no apparent reason during a traffic stop by a Houston cop. He was shot in the abdomen by a .357 Magnum, barely survived, lost his right kidney and over ten feet of his small intestine, nerve damage which affected his left leg above the knee, causing it to atrophy as a result. Williams didn't even bear the policeman any malice. Today, he could have sued for millions and probably never would have to make a comeback in 1965.

Ike the President was an emerging force in the division in the late-90's. He fought a beauty of a fight against the murderous-punching David Tua in 1997. That fight broke heavyweight records for punches thrown by both men. I think this fight diminished both men in slightly different ways. Tua was never quite the same fighter afterwards and Ike's craziness and erratic behavior cost him his boxing career and ultimately his freedom in the years following this brutal encounter.

No one until Wladimir Klitschko a few years later annihilated the elusive Chris Bird the way Ibeabuchi did in 1999. he defeated countryman Dunkin Dokiwari twice in the amateurs before emigrating to Dallas from his native Nigeria in 1993. When cut by sparring partner Ezra Sellers during a sparring session for the Byrd fight in 1999, Ike went ballistic straddling him from top position and choking and punching him repeatedly. His promoter Lou DiBella would say that ibeabuchi would complain about being haunted by demons, etc. This behavior became markedly worse after the Tua fight in 1997. he nicked the decision but ended up paying a terrible price for the win.

Who takes this?

Williams: 6'3" 220lbs
    Ibeabuchi: 6'2" 245lbs

2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    At least Williams found his level, he is easier to assess. Ike had two good wins then went into personal meltdown before he could realise his potential. He is harder to assess.

Williams was a dangerous puncher who had been exposed early in his career against unknown Sylvester Jones and the veteran bob satterfeild. He never went past three rounds against a world Champion. As it turned out his big punching was never that effective at the highest level. A Draw with Machen, a knockout over a young, unrated Terrell and shop worn Miteff, are about all there is to talk about. Terrell beat him in a return fight. even Chuvalo outpointed him. Despite this Williams remained exciting because nobody was quite as good to watch at destroying the lower ranks (especially in Texas) and his career ran for years. He was always popular but I feel had he fought more bigger names he would have lost more fights. He never fought Zora Folley but he did box an exhibition against Frazier.

Tua's punching did not bother Ibeabuchi so he took a punch. however, he kind of came out of nowhere before that fight. Nobody raved on him until then. The pace he fought at was good and Ike looked like a boxer with a nice style. His physical appearance did look a bit manufactured, like he was some steroid experiment that went wrong. And it did go wrong. He went wild in a gym one time that we know about. Ezra Sellers was attacked. Then there was the stuff he went to jail for. And Voices in his head.

Based on the Tua fight I think Ike was the better fighter. I would make him the favorite just on that but it seems unfair to the big cat when there is a whole body of work to assess with Williams.

BCS8, catchwtboxing and ironchamp like this.
  3. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    based off a few fights against top level that we have seen both men in against I would favor IKE who seemed more durable. Ike was never beaten and never dropped but had only 20 or so fights, I think Big Cat was about 31-1 when he was KO'd by Satterfield

BCS8 likes this.
  4. Sardu

Jan 22, 2008
    Nice assessments. But to be fair though to Williams there are a few points I'd like to make here.

The Chuvalo loss took place in 1971. Five years after a severely compromised Williams got taken apart by Ali. Williams was through by then. A prime Williams beats Chuvalo easily.

The Terrell loss in 1963 was by a split decision. Big Cat had kayoed Ernie in seven rounds the year before in 1962.

The Sylvester Jones fight took place early in Williams' career in 1953. It was only a four round decision loss. Williams came back and knocked Jones out in the 4th round a year later in 1954.

Satterfield was known as a deadly puncher who could also be knocked out himself if he didn't catch you first. He was beaten by greats like Archie Moore, Jake LaMotta, Ezzard Charles. And lost to some very good fighters like Sam Baroudi, Henry Hall, Lee Oma (who he also beat), Rex Layne, Harold Johnson, Wes Bascom (who was undeated when he beat Satterfield before his career imploded). My point is Satterfield only lost to quality fighters so no shame for Williams to lose to him early in his career. He probably kayos Satterfield if he gets a rematch and more experience.

5. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    It's crazy that Satterfield lost to the likes of Jake Lamotta who wasn't a huge puncher and then goes on to Knockout the big heavyweight Willlimas who had big power, just goes to show these fantasy fights of smaller heavyweights of the past beating the likes of Lewis May not be as far fetched as it seems.

JunlongXiFan and ironchamp like this.
  6. Sardu

Jan 22, 2008
    Good point! LaMotta was known to have a head of rock and was nearly impossible to knock out. He is now into his 90's and going strong.

7. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    George Chuvalo was around the same age and had the same kind of career span and simular miles on the clock as big cat. There is no evidence that their result could have been different at an earlier time. It is not like one was going in one direction and the other was on the way down. It was two veterans and actually, it was a good fight. I've seen the highlights and it was all action, hard fought.

Sylvester Jones was a show case night for Williams on the undercard of Marciano v Lastarza at the polo grounds. His backers had moved heaven and earth to get him on that show. Jones was hand picked. A ten fight novice who had already lost a third of his fights where as 27-0 Willliams had already beaten Omilio Agramonte and Keene Simmons respected journeymen. Jones cast as the heel, handed Williams a beating knocking him down twice. It was a disaster. Williams had three times as many fights.

Satterfeild was clearly a danger man but Williams was again the prospect with the impressive 31-1 record having beat the one guy he lost to. He was ready to move up at that point but failed that assignment. Satterfeild had lost twice that year, much smaller and was suposed to be a stepping stone. Satterfeild only lost to good fighters but Williams at 31-1 was hardly thrown in the deep end.

8. Sardu

Jan 22, 2008
    Thanks for the detailed reply. Your knowledge obviously supersedes mine by a mile. I get my info from boxer rec I don't know the details but I'm glad people like you do. I enjoy gleaning information about fighters from the past and their bouts so this site has been an addiction for myself of late.

It is interesting then that the two Cleveland Williams fights are both looked at as two of Sonny Liston's signature wins. Posters on here often denigrate Marciano's competition because although he beat a handful of hall of fame greats, these men were a bit older and past their respective primes. It seems that Liston's competition was a step below Rocky's. Not either's fault because each met the most capable fighters that were available to fight at that particular point in time.

JunlongXiFan and choklab like this.
  9. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    The President by UD. I've never seen a big heavyweight with such great cardio and workrate. Great talent that went to waste.

JunlongXiFan likes this.
  10. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I'm voting for the President.

11. Jon Saxon

Jon Saxon Active Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2011
  12. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Ike beat a prime Tua going toe to toe with him, nobody else was willing to do that. Ike KTFO of Byrd in the 5th round, nobody else ever beat him like that until he had started to fade. Unfortunately that is all we have to go on.

Williams went 1-1 (1) vs. Terrell (KO7 and L10) and he drew with Eddie Machen. He was slaughtered by Bob Satterfield, Sonny Liston twice, Ali, and others.

I like Ike by KO.

13. heavy_handss

heavy_handss Guest

First of all williams in his prime weighed 210-214 not 220, he is overrated like hell.. Ike by ko, he was bigger,stronger,heavier and did take a better shot

14. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    I think Ike is over rated too. There is not that much to go on.

15. heizenberg

heizenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I'd heavily favor Ibeabuchi in this fight from what we got to see of him he looked to be the real deal. The punch output he showed in the war with Tua to go along with being able to catch up to and stop the extremely skilled and slick Chris Byrd leads me to believe Ibeabuchi would've been a very formidable contender possibly a champion. I think these two would have a fight something like Williams vs Liston. It would be action packed and back and forth for a few rounds but eventually Ibeabuchi with his size, work rate and good combinations would overwhelm Williams.