Cleveland Williams vs Randall Tex Cobb

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by The Undefeated Lachbuster, Apr 12, 2019.

1. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    15 rounds. I consider Williams to be the superior contender and all around fighter, but I feel this will be a terrible matchup for him

2. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I feel like williams athleticism, power, and work rate allow for him to easily win the first 4 rounds. Cobb comes back with some good body shots and they trade blows in the 6 and 7th. Williams runs out of steam in the 8th getting dragged into cobbs's sloppy mud fight pace and the body blows take its toll. Wiliams is down in the 10th and has no snap or power left but luckily for him, his earlier efforts have left big bumps and lumps on Cobb's face along with a swollen shut right eye.

This basically leads to a stalemate as williams lacks the energy to throw more than 1 punch every now and then but cobb can't dodge them with his eye problems. Cobb is throwing a lot but they're mostly landing on the gloves and arms. In the 12th Williams loads up for a huge left hook that snapps cobb's head back and bloodies his lips. Cobb's corner tells him even with the knock down he's behind and needs to end it so in the 13th he rassles and shoves the completely exhausted Williams into the ropes and throws everything but the kitchen sink at him until Williams goes down again. He courageously gets up on wobbly legs but the ref waves it off.

3. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Williams by decision. He would tee off on Cobb head. It would be interesting to see if he could hurt him.

4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Yes its possible Williams exhausts himself trying to take out Cobb and gets clobbered late,but he had enough boxing ability to win on points ,thereby conserving his energy against that Mount Rushmore chin.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  5. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Cleveland by decision , Cobb never hit that hard and was easy to hit

George Crowcroft and timmers612 like this.
  6. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    So an arm puncher vs the 60s version of Razor Ruddock. Cobb would have been pounded on for most of the fight and overwhelmingly lost a deeply boring decision.

7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
  8. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Randy Tex Cobb was a big old handful. He gave a prime Micheal Dokes all he could handle and out slugged the harder hitting Ernie Shavers. Though never an elite fighter I believe Tex was bigger and tougher than the kinds of men Williams usually excelled against. At least Cobb was a very physical, draining guy to beat up on for the Very best fighters of his time. Where as I don’t think Williams was a particularly draining or physical guy for the best men of his time to beat up on. It was usually a white wash.

Williams never beat anybody even as good as Big Tex. I believe Cobb would smother and maul away the leverage and space Williams usually enjoyed against the190 pound guys Cleveland was used to until Randy starts teeing off on him. It would be an untidy fight. Cleveland, brave to the end, would survive knockdowns before losing on points or stopped late.

barberboy2 and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    All respect, but one of the problems with this is precisely leverage. Cobb beat a many-times-beat Shavers who was more lacking in stamina than at any earlier part of his career. Watch the "knock out", it's kind of a joke. Cobb never really learned how to put his full weight behind a punch (something utterly ridiculous to the point of near-inconceivability, especially given the different fighting arts he held positions in).

A prime Williams and equally so Cobb would be even more punishing (to Tex) than the Holmes-Cobb, because Williams was about a Ruddock-level puncher (though I am first to admit the former didn't have the latter's chin or even heart, really). Cobb would have been really leathered and rocked, though it's certainly conceivable he might hang in there.

Let's also keep in mind that the victories over Williams by both Liston and Ali are considered some of their finest moments, ever. One can't say that about Holmes' victory over Cobb (though Larry did look great in that fight...and charitable), nor Dokes, nor anybody notable who beat him, really.

Just my opinion.

10. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Yes Cobb wasn’t the smartest fighter but the guy was bigger and much more physical than the guys Williams beat. Who for the most part were second rate 180 pounders. For instance I don’t think Williams (who often beat men in the 1960s with 20lb advantage) has any chance to look as good as Razor Ruddock did against the sized men Ruddock fought since Ruddock was facing 220-240 sized guys. It’s a lot easier to rag doll a guy with a losing record who is that much smaller than it is to rag doll a guy the same size as you are or bigger.

Liston and Ali are the big guys we saw williams fight on film and it didn’t end well for big cat. Of course they were a different level, but I certainly don’t think Williams would be knocked over any less times by Larry Holmes than Ali was able to. Larry certainly could pop with the right hand at least as hard.

Nobody really flattened Cobb so much as Williams was. And Williams never really overcame live big guys.

The way I see it, Williams and Cobb were a similar level. Neither guy has a real signature win worth anything whilst both were decent contenders. So I think it can come down to chins. Cobb was way more durable. And live.

The most comparable matchup to Cobb v Williams that actually happened was probably Williams v Chuvalo. Which was another fight Williams lost. Against men his own size Williams could be out muscled.

11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Typical negative post on anything Foreman, Liston, or any one of their opponents.

It's well documented Williams was never much chop after being shot in the gut with a 357 Magnum in 1964. Little wonder.

Chuvalo was a full 7 years after that! Williams was 38 and 90 fights deep (in his fourth last fight ever) yet you say Frazier was no good by the Foreman fight!

We may as well look at fantasy fights using the Holmes version of Ali, the Tyson version of Holmes or the Marciano version of Louis.

Lets be fair.

12. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    I’m not sure how picking Tex Cobb reflects badly for Foreman or Liston? This seems rather an unusual fetish of yours that crops up whenever I pick against you in a fantasy fight to bring up those two. As usual I don’t see the link. And I am just as astonished as the last time.

Chuvalo was actually at a comparable part of his career to Cleveland. George was also a veteran who had lost even more fights than Williams had at that point.

Have you even seen the film? I have and it was a very compelling encounter. Williams was certainly up for it and the action was extremely fierce.

No matter how hard you try there is no way this fight can ever be turned into a case of a “once great fighter” succumbing to the fists of a lesser man at all. Simply two veterans who were evenly matched with careers that ran fairly parallel to each other. At no point in his career would Williams have been considered a raging favourite over Chuvalo. Williams never beat that kind of fighter before or after he was shot by a policeman. He gave Chuvalo a good fight. And lost. There is no indication Williams could have beat Chuvalo around the time Chuvalo beat Doug Jones or deJohn. Especially since Williams never beat guys as good as Dejohn or Jones.

13. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Williams pound s away ,Cobb keeps marching in .Cleve win's a decision where TeX is cheered more by the crowd for soaking it up .

14. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    That’s not improbable. I just would not be surprised if Williams succumbed later since Cobb has better wins over Shavers and mercado as well as taking Buster Douglas and a prime Michael Dokes to majority decisions.

I just can’t see Williams taking Dokes or Douglas to majority decisions.

15. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    HW version of Harding vs Andries one. Williams pounds away on Cobb's impenetrable chin . A exhausted Williams is stopped late.