Cleveland Williams vs Randall Tex Cobb

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by The Undefeated Lachbuster, Apr 12, 2019.

1. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Cobb either knocks him out when Williams blows his wad or he gets sent to the hospital. I can't see it going the distance.

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Q.Who did Lyle,Ruddock,Morrison,Foster ko?
    Q Were they big punchers or not?

Williams ko'd as in rendered unable to get up before the count of ten ,41 fighters, and you say his punching power is a myth.
    I'm sorry but you are a half wit.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  3. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009

Among the 41 guys you mention that Williams knocked out is a list if part time guys that nobody heard of. I believe Williams hit hard. Of course he did. But I can’t make up the fact that he was able to hit good fighters as hard as the bad ones he knocked cold because he didn’t do it. Otherwise he would have knocked world class fighters cold. He never did. Did he?

You have split hairs over guys not being out cold if they get off the floor and wobble into a defenceless position at nine and a half, so I am happy to insist this time that Williams did not knock anybody cold who was any good. It did not happen.

If ever there was a title for the hardest puncher who simply never scored knockouts against good fighters the Big Cat Would be the GOAT.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  4. ideafix12

ideafix12 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Williams ud, hes underrated here adn cobbs overrated.

5. SolomonDeedes

SolomonDeedes Active Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Part time guys that nobody heard of?

Roger Rischer was ranked 9th by the WBA when Williams knocked him out. Alonzo Johnson had never been stopped when Williams knocked him out. George Moore was a 219 lb undefeated former amateur star when Williams knocked him out. John Holman had been ranked 4th by the Ring just the previous year when Williams knocked him out.

These may not have been world-beaters but to dismiss them as "bad fighters" is nonsensical.

6. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    These were men of no real consequence in the ATG scheme of things. Rischer and Alonzo Johnson, better than part timers, are still absolutely very fringe in the extreme. Neither were close to challenge for titles.

Williams gets branded as some Herculean puncher yet Tim Witherspoon flattened James Tillis. yet Tim has never gone down as that much of an All time great puncher by comparison to Big Cat Williams.

7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    So because they were not big names, they must have all had bad chins? Name fighters weren't exactly queing up to take Williams on!
    If ever there was a title for the silliest ,most dishonest ,flawed logic poster who is capable of dissapearing up his own fundament.
    You would be the number one contender for it!

8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Rischer was good enough to beat Henry Cooper. You talk out of your arse!

swagdelfadeel and JohnThomas1 like this.
  9. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    I’m sorry but they just are not remarkable enough results. Where does it say you have to be an all time great puncher to knockout Alonzo Johnson?

Why should the criteria be so slim for just one guy?

Please refrain from attacking my stature as a poster simply because you disagree and can’t prove me wrong.

10. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Henry had a better career than Rischer. What else did Rischer do? It looks more like a blip on Coopers career if anything, not that Cooper is guy who really who should be regarded as ATG anyway.

What is this, beat the man who beat Henry Cooper and you can go down as an all time great puncher?

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Where does it say to qualify for being a big puncher you have to have big names on your record ?
    Where are Lyle's,Morrison's,Ruddock's, Sheppard's,Durelle's? Every honest poster knows they were big punchers and so was Williams!
    I attack you because you make fundamentally dishonest arguments.

12. Cleveland Williams: The fighter they called “The Big Cat” stretched no fewer than 58 men. Sonny Liston, who knew a thing or two about power, dubbed him the hardest puncher he’d ever faced.

This content is protected

Cleveland Williams

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You were bumming up Patterson just now saying he ko'd Cooper see what I mean about dishonest?

BTW The Ring has Williams at no 49 in its Hundred Greatest Punchers at all weights
    Johansonn is number 99!
    Firpo79
    Schmeling55
    Tua 48
    Ruddock70
    Satterfield 55

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Reinhardt and JohnThomas1 like this.
  13. choklab

Dec 31, 2009

I disagree with you. I just don’t think the evidence stretches far enough for Williams to still be painted as such an explosive hitter at world level. There is more evidence for just about anyone else being a big hitter. Some of these publications go more on folklore and popularity compared to me.

I certainly think Williams was a big man who has power up to a level. Exciting character. But that’s as far as it goes.

Williams is worthy of comparison with guys like Cobb though. He was a good entertainment.

14. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Geez, you are going to confuse the rubes with facts,LOL!!!

RulesMakeItInteresting and mcvey like this.
  15. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Yes, Williams willl go down as the biggest puncher without knockout wins over famous opponents. The only one.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019