Cleveland Williams vs. Tony Tucker

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SheenLantern, Apr 30, 2021.

1. SheenLantern

SheenLantern Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Heavyweight

12 rounds

Prime for prime

Who wins?

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. lone star

lone star New Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2018
    I’d love to say Cleveland Williams but Tucker took too good a shot at his best and could move pretty good for a big man and had good boxing skills.I wouldn’t have thought Cleveland fought too many fighters who were taller and had reach advantage on him. Plus Tucker had good power and old Cleveland suffered a few stoppage loses.

3. Stiches Yarn

Stiches Yarn Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Tucker stops him late.

Richard M Murrieta and Fergy like this.
  4. Fergy

Fergy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Tucker stops him in 10.

5. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Sonny Liston kayoed Cleveland Big Cat Williams in 1959 and 1960, both times it was early. The Big Cat even broke Sonny's nose. Prime Williams prior to that near fatal shooting by a Texas State Trooper on Nov 30 1964, does own a 7 th round kayo of tall lanky Ernie Terrell in April 1962. I do see Tony TNT Tucker going the 12 round distance, Tucker is not Liston of 1959 or 1960. Tucker takes this one on points, but it would not surprise me if Williams rattled him several times, as he could hit.

Boxingfan2, Fergy and swagdelfadeel like this.
  6. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Cleveland's "few stoppage loses (*losses)" anywhere even remotely close to his peak were against a prime Liston. He also didn't seem to have a problem against fighters who were taller and had a reach advantage over him, most notably Terrell who he knocked out then lost a dispusted SD to.

That being said I'd go for Tucker by UD or Late TKO, barring a hail mary from Williams.

Richard M Murrieta and Fergy like this.
  7. lone star

Mar 10, 2018
    Fair point. Cleveland ran into a prime Liston. Then gets shot and fights Ali when way past prime in his only shot at title.

8. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think Tucker was the more well rounded fighter even if his win list doesn’t reflect it.

9. lone star

Mar 10, 2018
    True. Tucker had the misfortune of coming along at the same time as Tyson. Cleveland came along at Liston’s prime. Could Tucker have been Undisputed champ had it not been for Tyson? Good chance. What you reckon?

10. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    He might have captured lineage either by beating spinks or winning the belts in elimination matches given that the division was a little short on talent from 1987-1989. But I honestly don’t think he had the drive to be a dominant force. Tucker was the type of fighter who only did enough to “ get by “ and that doesn’t make for greatness.

11. daverobin

daverobin Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2015
  12. IHaveAscreenName804

IHaveAscreenName804 New Member Full Member

May 1, 2021
    Tony Tucker only lost 2 fights in his prime. To Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson. Neither stopped him. Tyson never really hurt him. Williams doesn't hit as hard as either Tyson or Lewis and he wasn't really that skilled. His chin was also questionable. Tucker would easily beat him.

13. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Agreed. I myself would pick Tucker to win this match-up, but Williams was the hungrier fighter imo.

mr. magoo and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Tuckers movement would be too much for Williams