Clinching

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Ph33rknot, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot etreuM aL Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    How do you feel about it I'm totally against more points need to be taken

OvidsExile and Eastern Iron like this.
  2. JabbaTheGut

JabbaTheGut Active Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2019
    I'm fine with it when they're trying to fight there

DoubleJab666 likes this.
  3. MagicE

MagicE Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 16, 2017
    You get the odd fight where it's a big issue or certain fighters that abuse it and it's definitely annoying, but I don't see many fights being ruined by too much clinching except in HW.

Refs should penalise the hugging though, especially running hugs

sasto and Eastern Iron like this.
  4. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Clinching is for ***gots and points need to be taken for excessive clinching.

5. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Like Fury did in his rematch with Wilder. Got a point taken away. Kept clinching and headlocking. Pathetic. Should have been disqialified.

6. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot etreuM aL Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    If you clinching you ain't fighting

OvidsExile likes this.
  7. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I don't mind it unless it's excessive. But that's the problem isn't it, one ref won't allow it at all, another will allow it to happen constantly, there is no consistency in enforcement and it effects the outcome of fights. I guess it comes down to what you call excessive, some people have no problem with how much Wlad held Povetkin others are outraged by how much he held. There needs to be a clear and enforceable policy resulting in automatic point deductions.

8. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    I don't see a problem with a clinch every now and then but excessive holding is incredibly annoying and fighters should get penalized for it, they do sometimes although it doesn't happen enough. It happened in Lewis vs Akinwande, not only did Akinwande get points taken off, he was disqualified.

Excessive clinching doesn't really happen too often though

9. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Not in all episodes clinch had been initiated by Wlad. Some from these clinches had been initiated by Povetkin to avoid beatup from Wlad.
    Ofc it is good to claim that this fight was only some bad uncle in Wlad dirtyboxe.
    Povetkin also had questionable stoppage win vs Wach. Yeah, he had won vs Wach on cards for sure but stoppage here__________lol.
    Questionable win on cards vs Huck, then bulked up CW boxer in approx 209 lber.

10. JabbaTheGut

JabbaTheGut Active Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2019
    So Duran was not a real fighter?

11. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    I like inside fighting and except for all time classics like Vazquez Marquez 1 inside fighting will lead to some amount of clinching.

What I really want is for referees to judge if the fighter intends to do anything besides clinching or if it's situational, that's a lot to ask though.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  12. Bumnard_Hopkins

Bumnard_Hopkins Burger King banned Full Member

Jul 13, 2021
    Duran didn't lock the other guy's arms in place. If it is possible for the other guy to free his arms then it is alright.

Compare Duran vs Leonard to Ward vs Bika.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  13. kim_jong_un

kim_jong_un Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Fighters should learn real inside fighting then, if they have a problem with clinching. Inside fighting is sadly a lost art.

14. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    There a lot of business impact too might happen. A side lad clinches : nothing wrong if this is good for his situation in this moment, B side guy if this is good for him, might get ref intervention pretty soon.
    Biased refs and A/B sides in boxing is curse for this business like strange judges cards.

Okey, if they doesn't do rabbit punches and low blows etc ****, I think they might clinch and fight in clinch.

15. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    It's a foul. First gets a warning. Second a point. Third two points. Fourth disqualification. This isn't wrestling or mma.