[CLIP] Rocky Marciano was a refined boxer by the time he met Joe Louis in the ring

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, May 15, 2018.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Goldman stated he didnt like Rocky to lay off for too long because he quickly began to forget all he had taught him. He said he had a 30 min tutorial every time before Rocky boxed in the gym, re-emphasising what he wanted him to do.
    He attributed Rocky's lack of natural refinement to his late start in the game.Source," A Neutral Corner ,"A J Liebling.

ETM and Seamus like this.
  2. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Yeah I mean Walcott had incredible head movement. On another level from most boxers in history. And his footwork was unique

Bummy Davis likes this.
  3. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Rocky did very well ducking low and avoiding the jab and he countered very well. Excellent film, Rocky was an extrodinary fighter and he has grew on me over the years.

A lot of the old time trainers used to tell me years ago that he was special and they were right.

Rocky had some very special ingredients, power,will,conditioning,very smart,tremendous courage,stamina,he took a great punch, and from this film his defence is underated. He is not Willie Pep but pretty good and slipping,blocking with elbows from an aggressive mode.

You will never see another Rocky Marciano like you will never see another Harry Greb or Sam Langford

Thanks Reznick

greynotsoold likes this.
  4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Marciano was cut in most of his major contests and in danger of being tko'd because of it in two of them.I don't see this great defence that some,[not you,] claim for him. You are right . You will never see another 185lbs 5'10" man win the heavyweight title.

5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Rocky wasn't graceful in the ring but he was an athlete. He was able to close distance when he had to and the ability to land his power. Without the will to absorb pain though he wouldn' t have been champion.

Bummy Davis likes this.
  6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Every professional boxer is an athete to one varying degree or another.
    Marciano's principal assets imo, were conditioning,will to win ,the ability to disregard punishment,the capacity to carry his power all through a contest[conditioning,]courage ,and self belief. He is the poster boy for over-achievement.

Bokaj, greynotsoold and Bummy Davis like this.
  7. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    I find the Marciano fan club to be the most sensitive when it comes to any critisism directed at him.
    I also find some of them the most rude
    Reznick, Dagowop, Moongoose / Cobra all booted.
    Pattern emerging?

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  8. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    He did have all that yes he carried that power for 15 rounds but most importantly the ability to land it. Without that skill you would be describing George Chuvalo.

9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Marciano was one of the most inaccurate punchers the heavyweight title has produced, sometimes missing by feet,but he kept throwing and throwing and all of them were big shots that kind of incessant pressure usually brings results. Chuvalo wasn't in Marciano's league for power.

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Dago/Mongoose is a 1st class ****.Cobra too.
    Reznick is a nice enough kid with an infectious enthusiasm for the sport,and he makes good vlogs, but takes any differing opinion as a personal insult, any criticism of one of his "god's",is tantamount to blasphemy!
    I'd like to think he will be back and if he does return ,I hope he can park his heart on his sleeve emotions somewhere else before posting.
    McGrain gave him enough rope,imo but he seemed intent on self- inflicted martyrdom.Well he's got it.

To paraphrase L.Cohen.
    "He said I'm tired of the war,I want the kind of Forum we had before.
    A wedding suit or something white to wear upon my swollen appetite."

escudo, Cecil and BlackCloud like this.
  11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I think you are being extremely kind which is fair enough at this stage but not for much longer.

The forum has always been built on critical debate/scrutiny/praise regardless of who it might be we are talking about. Boxing forums will never reach the level of decorum of say a GOLFWRX and if one was as hard on members as they are the forum would slip slide away rather rapidly.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    If it ain't broke ,don't fix it.

Unforgiven likes this.
  13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I have a few virtues and many vices,no one has ever described me as being extremely kind.
    Rez gave me some stick, a few of his remarks were beyond the pale ,and I repaid him in kind.
    I'd like to think he will be back and contributing ,without the emotional histrionics.WTFK,s?

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  14. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Not gonna happen.

The young man seems to have some kind of a messiah complex. He is never going to respect--or even tolerate--any viewpoints that he sees as undermining his mission of "rescuing" the legacies of old-school heavyweight legends. He's going to keep making outlandish claims about certain fighters and when people like us criticize his analysis, it furthers his view that he and his heroes are under attack, and causes him to lash out aggressively. We toxic people are threats to the future legacy of his heroes and therefore must be stopped. He's not humble enough to accept that people who disagree with him (whether it be us, or contemporary observers of these fighters) may be right. Because McGrain doesn’t do enough to stop us from spreading out dangerous and offensive views, he’s part of the problem. I don't see how any of this will ever change.

15. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    That would be great. He goes extremely well until he gets a bee in his bonnet.