Closing fist on impact a myth?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Davidalat21333, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Davidalat21333

Davidalat21333 New Member Full Member

May 18, 2020
    Is it a myth that keeping your fist relaxed until the point of impact is best? I found this video and tony Jeffries explains that even when you make a tight fist in your guard, you are still relaxed. The only thing that’s tight is your fist, the rest of the body is relaxed. Video is below. Most coaches say to do this, but I also find that I can make a tight fist without tensing up my whole body. I’m still relaxed, and able to punch fast.
    This content is protected

2. Stuart_boxer

Stuart_boxer Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2019
  3. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    "clench" is the wrong word

You're not gripping onto something.

Just have the hand closed, not open or loose.

You can't fully close a "tight" fist anyway with gloves on.

if you're worried about details like this you're probably barely a club fighter anyway lol.

energy conversation is massivei n boxing. why the classic high guard with "clenched" fists is not something you see throughout a fight for most high level pro's.

More interesting to talk about when you aren't using a clenched fist. flicking, pawing, fienting etc.

Boxing can become so heavily nuanced dictating "right or "wrong" in itself is wrong. Unless we're dealing with a total noob who is flapping in the wind.

Bruce Lee had it right, You have to understand yourself as a fighter, you will learn off others various things some of which will be contradicting, you have to decide what is right for yourself.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  4. beewood

beewood New Member Full Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Making a fist on impact is a skill that every aspiring boxer should be trying to master. It does take time and patience but is worth the effort. The benefits are a faster punch with more concusive power with less tension required therefore allowing to stay sharper for longer periods without muscle fatigue. The first part of a punch should always be acceleration with the making a fist on impact and release of the fist as soon as the strike is complete.