Colin McMillan- How far could he have gone?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by destruction, Apr 5, 2020.

1. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Collin McMillan was the WBO world feather champion back in 1993 and he would have likely become unified champion had he faced Paul Hodkinson for the WBC title back then.

However in the first defence of his title against Ruben Palacio he suffered a serious shoulder injury, which he never ever recovered from. He was never the same again and lost two more times before retiring.

Could he have ended up beating Naseem Hamed had they met in 1994, had he not got injured?

He does an interview on his career at boxing life stories:

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=a...EwiTzrG5htPoAhXPSsAKHWY-DaYQieUEegQIBxAG&ep=6

2. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
  3. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    He was a superb talent, the best pure boxer we've seen in Britain (Buchanan more of a boxer-puncher) perhaps. Herol was super awkward but McMillan was better balanced and smoother. Loved to of seen go on to fight Hoko and Azumah Nelson, and a young Hamed/Barrera. Would've been fun

lloydturnip likes this.
  4. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    It's a good question, while he was a skilled technician I wonder if he genuinely never recovered from the shoulder injury or he simply lacked the ability to transition to the top level. He ran from Robinson when they fought in his next fight

I don't see him being a patch on Hamed. Hamed was simply another level

5. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Was the smoothest most fluid British fighter I have ever seen .his schooling of stecker was amazing .His lack of power may of limited his progress .poetry in motion

Bulldog24 likes this.
  6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I was a fan of Colin, when he first came along and won the belt I was hopeful he was going to make it big. He seemed to have it all going for him to. I was gutted for him, with the shoulder injury, I remember watching it and cringing with his arm hanging like that!
    But yep, a big shame that was effectively the end of his career.

7. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    I remember Eubank being asked if he was the best boxer in Britain, he said 'no, Colin McMillan is'.

lloydturnip and destruction like this.
  8. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    Today, he'd of probably had the physio and rehab to make a full recovery from it. Sad

Fergy likes this.
  9. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    That's true, boxers these days seem to recover from all kinds of injuries.