Commonwealth Champ?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Ringrat, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Ringrat

Ringrat Amateur Full Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Who is the present Commonwealth Heavyweight Champion? Does the title still carry any weight in Britain, and who are the top five contenders for the championship right now?

Time was every boxing fan in Canada, Australia, Brtain, etc. knew who the Commonwealth champ was. It had a certain prestige. I remember getting really ticked off that oor George Chuvalo didn't get a shot at it. I remember Lennox Lewis owned it for a time. Sad to say, I don't know who has it now.

2. maka

maka Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2006

matt skelton:good beat michael sprott on points in his last fight

3. The Lads

The Lads Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Skelton has purse bids for a EU shot due in Dec... i think

4. Big Ears

Big Ears Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    EBU..............that one letter makes a big difference .

5. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    ment to write european, but got lazy

6. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    sorry, didnt GET lazy, I AM lazy.

7. Vantage_West

Vantage_West ヒップホップ·プロデューサー Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    yeah the commonwealth champion was the original minor belt...it was half the world that you were champion of if you got it.

it's still carries alot of wieght (in my opinion) becuase the triple chapion is a very big accomplishment i.e british, commonwelath and european belt

8. Ringrat

Oct 23, 2007
    But on its own? Is there a Commonwealth boxing commission that sanctions title bouts and pressures the champion to defend against credible challengers. When was the last time, since Lewis, that a non-Briton fought for the belt? (Canadians still consider Lewis The Kitchener Thunderbolt) :think

9. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    What matters more commonwealth or brit tiles? I'd say brit!

10. Claypole

Claypole Boxing Addict banned

Aug 4, 2007
    For sure. One of the problems with the Commonwealth title is that the quality of contenders can vary hugely. Unknown fighters from uncelebrated boxing nations can "earn" the right to challenge, just by being decent by their own domestic standards. This can result in woeful mismatches which can discredit the title.

11. Ringrat

Oct 23, 2007
    Probably the same here in Canada. I think it's more because of the anti-British feelings in the ridiculous province of Queebek that the Commonwealth championship lost most of its luster in Canada. That's why their three mediocre heavies haven't expressed interest in acquiring it. (In my version of Title Bout, South Afrika's Ben Foord is the present Empire/Commonwealth heavyweight champion, having won the title from Canada's Tiger Warrington. Right now Jack Petersen of Wales is the top contender.)

12. Ringrat

Oct 23, 2007
    Agreed. I seem to recall Trevor Berbick defending the Commonwealth title against one or two questionable opponents.

13. Big Ears

Big Ears Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Often the commonwealth title and the British title are on the same level but the British title is thought of a bit more favourably due to its prestige .

There is a Commonwealth commision that forces credible defences and mandatories but because the standard is poor in some countries fighters of a low enough quality with a decent record can sometimes challenge for the belt .This is especially true of African fighters , although if they're from South Africa or Ghana(especially Accra) you can be usually fairly sure they will be decent .

The last time a non Brit fought for the heavyweight Commonwealth title was Australian Bob Mirovic in 2004 . Skelton stopped him in 4 rounds .

The following commonwealth champions are non British:
    Troy Ross(Canadian)-Cruiserweight Commonwealth champ
    Ali Nuumbembe(Namibia)-Welterweight Commonwealth champ
    Ajose Olusegun(Nigeria)-Light-Welterweight Commonwealth champ
    Jackson Asiku(Uganda)-Featherweight Commonwealth champ
    Anyetei Laryea(Ghana)-Super-Bantamweight Commonwealth champ
    Tshifhiwa Munyai(South Africa)-Bantamweight Commonwealth champ

The vacant Commonwealth middleweight title is going to be challenged for by Darren Barker(England) and Ben Crampton(Australia)

14. Ringrat

Oct 23, 2007
    go raibh maith agat! I see Troy Ross is scheduled to defend against Michael Steeds in London next month. You hear nothing of this here in Canada.

Cap's Journal

15. dwilson

dwilson Guest

Skelton is worth taking an interset in because he is the only heaveyweight we have that you could see doing some damage to the top competitors around the world, our others are all jokes.