Confessions...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bujia, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    It’s that time again. Discuss or post your own.

I don’t rate Duran’s performance in the third De Jesus fight nearly as highly as most. I thought he was far more impressive in the second fight, among many others. People often laud his patience in the rubber match. I just saw it as straight up inactivity. He seemed to be perfectly content with coasting while waiting for a shopworn De Jesus to tire himself out. And tire himself out he did. He went quickly and without much resistance after that.

I don’t get the fascination with it. I feel like that’s what Duran would fight like if he were on Xanax. No passion. No menace. No thirst for blood. Just going through the motions, assured that things will eventually fall into place.

I may be exaggerating a bit to get my point across, but the heart of what I’m saying is true.

2. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    But in truth, Roberto Duran at that time was having trouble making 135 lbs, He was contemplating a move to the more comfortable 140 lb weight limit. A future fight against Monroe Brooks was on the horizon.

Bujia likes this.
  3. Bujia

Jul 2, 2020
    That makes sense. He fought like a drained fighter. I’m not knocking Duran with this thread. Just expressing a genuine difference of opinion on a topic that I haven’t seen questioned before.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Well, Duran wasn't caught nearly as clean as he was the first 2 fights. If he was patient,,,it worked

5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That's an interesting perspective. I can kinda see it, and I don't think it's Duran's best performance by quite a stretch either, although I don't think it was quite like you described it. I reckon Duran's better performances are Brooks, Leonard I, Barkley, Palomino, Moore, and Hagler

Here's a big one of my own. I find Salvador Sanchez quite overrated. I already said I find the Gomez win quite overrated, which I guess sorta lowers my view of him as whole, since it is a monumental point in his career. When I see him mentioned as the greatest Mexican ever, I just can't see it. He's top five, no doubt, but number one? Nah, definitely not IMO. I also tend to find him a little bit overrated H2H, but he's at such a high level there where it's just what you like, how they'd deal with certain styles, what happened in their careers etc. I don't think he'd beat Pep or Saddler, and I don't really think he'd beat Pedroza or Marcel either. Just my opinion though, those guys are all pretty closely tied.

6. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Deep down, I still secretly believe Alexis Arguello defeats Mayweather at SFW.

There we go, I've said it.

Yes Mayweather has much quicker hands and feet, but he wasn't really a stick and move behind the jab type guy. He leapt in with left hooks and lead rights and I think Alexis times one of those leaps, clips him on the button, and hurts Floyd. Floyd then shells up against the ropes, Alexis with all the space in the world can unload his hellacious volley of shots culminating in Floyd crumpling to the mat.

I know on Classic it's a given that Mayweather outboxes Arguello, and I often play along.

But there you have it, deep down in secret I disagree with the lot of you.

7. Bujia

Jul 2, 2020
    Not bad so far. Keep ‘em coming.

8. JLP1978

JLP1978 Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2020
    I have Pacquiao beating Mayweather.

M 1, 5, 9, 10, 11,
    P 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 12

Pacquiao by a round. Honestly, I could have given him round 9 as well. Mayweather s back was against the ropes, he was dealing with flurries and he look uncomfortable.

Mayweather landed his potshots but they were after Manny threw 10 punches and landed 4. Neither was landing anything super clean because they are both masters but I favored Manny for ring generalship and controlling most of the rounds.

Flo_Raiden, The Morlocks and lufcrazy like this.
  9. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Sorry. I thought I logged onto classic boxing forum not the delusional network.
    W

George Crowcroft likes this.
  10. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
    This content is protected

11. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Lol

12. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    :lol:

Devon likes this.
  13. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
    I think Earnie Shavers punching power was overrated. Where is the long list of 10 count KOs over rated opponents? The Shavers of Ali was to me the best ever. Crushing blows that hurt Ali 4ever. But, overall no way is he the hardest hitter.

14. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
    Even though I couldn't stand him, 1981-1984 jr-lightweight Camacho beats Mayweather with ease. Maybe the fastest ever.

15. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009