Congrats to Macarinelli, but Mbaye-Rees stunk of a fix to me...

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Dunky McCafferty, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    Come on, what the **** was that fight all about? round after round M'baye stood within range of Rees, but wouldnt even throw a jab. He would just stand there, giving Rees a rest while he got his breath back, & even letting Rees showboat for seconds at a time... The amount of times I thought M'Baye could have thrown some leather whilst out of Rees range but just stood there, I hate to say it but it was dodgy as ****.

In all my years posting here I have never proclaimed a fight to be rigged, but that one looked fixed in my eyes. Something just wasnt right about that fight. Even M'Bayes cornermen werent giving a **** along with the fighter himself, & at the end M'baye was walking around quite happy:huh

maybe I am wrong, but that was one STRANGE fight. Opinions?

2. faisal

faisal Hoolios daddy Full Member

Feb 24, 2007
    i was kinda shocked about how a fat little shite like rees managed to make Mbaye look like an ameture.

3. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Rees has a simular physique to Pryce It's not dry but It's good and In shape.

4. AllyT

AllyT Active Member Full Member

Oct 13, 2004
    I understand what you are saying but once you see the wisdom of Enzo Calzaghe all becomes clear. He is the master

5. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    Didnt you wonder though sometimes max why M'baye would just stand there, whilst he was in range of the much smaller short armed Rees & not throw anything round after round? I couldnt get my head around it, especially as it wasnt a fast paced fight as Rees was gassed after about 8 rounds...

6. PrideOfWales

PrideOfWales Winston Zedmore Full Member

Apr 20, 2006
    M'Baye is a lazy ****er, did you see his last fight? M'Baye also tried to unload later in the fight - there was definite intent in those punches in the last few rounds. It wasn't a fix.

7. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    I agree It was strange that Rees got away with Roy Jones like showboating.

8. nulty

nulty Guest

Like I said in another thread, if I were one for conspiracy theories I'd be asking questions as to why a number of members of team Khan were at ringside and looking very smug. Given that it is known that Amir will wind up at 140 sooner or later, and he has speed and reach advantages over Gavin and of course Gavin isn't a puncher at 140. These quotes strike me "I will be a world champion at 21", "I trust Frank to help me get to were I want to be"

9. The Exile

The Exile FUBAR Full Member

Aug 17, 2004

Me and my mates watched this and my mates who only really follow thE big names in boxing could not get over the fact that Mbaye was a world champ after that performance, but to be honest he looked crap in his last fight which was quite controversial if i remember - he looked **** to be honest and didnt even seem to care thet he had just lost his title :-(

I agree with one of the other posters who thought Rees looked not in the best of shape, fair enough he got the unexpected win but i actually thought he looked a bit soft around the edges especially for the weight but hey he's the new world champ of a legitimate title so fair play and ALL THE BEST :good

10. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
    i'm glad you started this thread...i was thinking the same thing during the fight. up until the last couple of rounds mbaye wasn't even trying to use his considerable size and power advantage. the whole situation with someone not even ranked in the wba top 15 lww's getting a title shot and then winning against someone not wanting to fight looks dodgy as ****.

i'm not saying the fight was definitely fixed cos i don't want to take any credit away from Rees who did well, but lets see who his first defence is against. i sniff a warren scheme to move khan up to lww so he can win a world title by the time he's 21.

11. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
    yes...i noticed that. i thought originally it was because mbaye was training at oliver harrisons gym, but he had some french guys in his corner. i wonder how much the wba officials were paid off to sanction this fight...if its all part of the grand khan money-making scheme, there could be a potentially high return for warren.

hmmm...but on the other hand, maybe the fight was not fixed and mbaye is just **** and rees fought a great fight. we'll have to look out for any FW announcements over the next couple of months.

12. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai 3 year ESB vet. Full Member

Aug 18, 2005
    This was not a fix, give Rees some credit for his win!!!!!!

M'Baye has shown this side to his game before, he is a lazy fighter and I think in this fight he came in not motivated and could not go up a gear.

13. nufc16

nufc16 Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    thought the same myself. and if you look back at the fight, im certain at the end of the rounds, M'Baye when sat in his corner, kept looking over in Warrens direction. If you are getting beat that badly, why the **** would you be looking to the crowd, you'd be completely fixed on what your cornermen are saying.

Think warren himself cottoned on that it was looking too obvious as he left towards the end of the fight. Though then again he probably just went to wish macca well, but still, if your fighter is about to win a world title, you'd stay till the end surely?

M'Baye has not exactly been the most marketable world champion, while im sure he could make a mint off of a reformed rogue welshman with an army of vociferous fans.

14. Shev

Shev Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    It was the fact that the jab wasn't even being remotely used by M'Baye that troubled me, even at the end M'Baye seemed hesitant to engage or anything. Would you put it past Warren to fix a fight, I wouldn't anyway.

15. Sundance

Sundance Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Was no fix. The guy was just not up to it. Credit to Rees, he doesn't have a big punch, but he clearly out worked the guy and deserved the win.