Conor Benn's last fight.... impressions?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by lencoreastside, Jun 26, 2019.

1. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Exciting win against the Finn.
    Negatives: undersized as usual. Far too hittable.
    Positives: exciting entertainment, he really wants it, power, good shot selection, killer instinct.

Overall very similar to his old man. May not make it big but Conor will be in exciting fights that's for sure....

Gatekeeper likes this.
  2. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    I enjpy watching his fights and following his career.

He gets alot of stick on this forum about how he will never be world class blah blah blah. He is a young exciting fighter and he is fun to watch.

3. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Relatively impressed. His opponent was a decent C-grade fighter, arguably a gatekeeper to European level at least. Benn was hit very early on but at least his chin held out. He grinded his opponent down and landed a very powerful left hook which basically won him the fight. You have to give him props for stopping that guy early and I've been one of his biggest critics.

Like Cheeseman though he's going to get exposed badly when he steps up against a really competent boxer. If he had a little more power then his style would be effective but he doesn't really have that elite power at the weight. I still think he should try to move down a division if possible.

4. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Not trying to sound negative but I thought he was awful up until that random left hand landed and rocked Koivula which changed the fight completely. He's way too small at WW and seemed to be getting rocked every time Koivula landed but got away with it as Koivula is featherfisted. Still, good on him for finding a way to win. Why does he not go for an English title or something next?

ryanm8655 likes this.
  5. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Yeah, it was a game of two very short halves. Too easy to hit and if the guy had power he would’ve been KO’d...

But he did look better offensively and it was a step up for him.

Sephiroth Rising 7 likes this.
  6. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Yeah I agree..... he tripled the right hand nicely for the finish. He certainly isn't talentless.

7. themaster999

themaster999 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2015
    I liked his hairstyle

The rest was meh.

Sphillips likes this.
  8. DON1

DON1 ICEMAN Full Member

Apr 6, 2006
    He is bloody terrible man.

9. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    He clearly doesn't take any sort of criticism well either. He needs to toughen up in that area.

With the TV commentary at Sky Sports seemingly making the most of Benn’s previous frailties in the first round, ‘The Destroyer’ was asked if that annoyed him.

“Of course they did,” Benn said. “It was mainly my dad (Nigel Benn). My dad called me up straight after the fight and said, ‘oh the commentators are talking rubbish’. So I thought I’d watch it back and then you have some of the commentators saying he can’t box, he needs to stay on the back foot and all that.

“What do they expect when someone comes out swinging, what do they expect? You don’t go swimming, you don’t get wet.

“Let them say what they want to say, I knocked him out in the second round. I’m not 15-0, undefeated, 10 knockouts if I couldn’t box. I think the commentators were talking rubbish!”

https://www.*****.net/2019/06/27/exclusive-conor-benn-commentary/

Accurate likes this.
  10. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    You have to give Conor Benn some credit, and based on his previous performances it was a great win. It was a career best win in fact. The best opponent he has faced by far and he iced him in 2.

He was eating too many right hands in the fight, and his knees were buckled about 4 times, but he had the heart to continue to be offensive.

I think he has some talent and some serious heart (like his old man). I know he isnt much above British level, but give the man some respect and credit for such a great win. You cant just start boxing late and become world class, he is doing superb for someone who started it so late. Everyone in the know, knows he isnt going to be anymore than a British champion who earns a good coin.

Aydamn, stittyb and Momus like this.
  11. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    English title? He is ranked number 8 in the world by the WBA and is the WBA European champion.

12. smithshaun

smithshaun Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Let's give the lad a break he has an unbelievable task of ever getting close to his dad who was without doubt on of the most exciting UK fighters ever! He has had no amateur experience and is being moved along to quick imo having your first ever fight at the 02 was just ridiculous an shows the pressure being put on the lad

Aydamn likes this.
  13. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    He's fought nobody with any power, I suspect when he does he's in serious trouble but he'll probably have another two years, 5 fights, before he's put in with someone capable of putting him to sleep.

He's exciting to watch, I'll definitely give him that, I quite enjoy watching his fights too, they're usually a combination of exciting and amusing, he gives it everything and you can't doubt his heart, he just doesn't have any defence and his wildness won't transfer well at a higher level.

14. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Exciting to watch

15. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Hes fun to watch but I don't rate him at all. They will try and build him and Kelly into a grudge PPV slot this time next year i reckon. Expect some heated Twitter exchanges and IFL interviews soon.