Conor Mcgregor 4 years ago became double champ, has there been a mightier fall from grace?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by iloverachel, Nov 13, 2020.

1. iloverachel

iloverachel Member banned Full Member

Jun 12, 2020
    [url]Dana White gives update on Conor Mcgregor vs Dustin Porier 2[/url]

-UFC 205: Alvarez vs. McGregor was a mixed martial arts event promoted by the Ultimate Fighting Championship held on November 12, 2016, at Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York.
    -In what was described by UFC president Dana White as the "biggest fight card" in the company's history, Conor McGregor became the first fighter in the promotion's history to hold titles in two divisions simultaneously.

Conor knocked out Jose Aldo (fastest victory in world title fight), then went up and destroyed Alvarez. Lots of people were calling him the GOAT or one of the greatest. He was loved and respected.

Fast forward to now, numerous sexual assault allegations, sucker punching elderly men, allegedly cheating on his wife, throwing dollies at buses, getting whooped back to back (Floyd, Khabib).

Is it too late for redemption? Yes Conor is richer, but he isn't held in such high regard any more. Not only do people dislike him for his personality, but they also discredit his victories. Just look at any of his social media pages and every 2nd comment is a Khabib choking Conor photo or someone calling him a chicken tapper.

Is there a mightier fall from grace? BJ Penn and Ronda come to mind

2. boranbkk

boranbkk "ไม่ได้โม้นะ" Full Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Meh next fight the love will be there. Ronda was bigger for me.

Suspect.chin likes this.
  3. Francis75

Francis75 FAB 4 Full Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Problem is the guy never fights since he teared it up at 145 lbs. Really imo he's still somewhat unproven above fighting midgets at 145. I would like to see him fight 5 or 6 times over the next 2 yrs at 155 against top 10 lightweights to see what he can do. Do we really know his level above 145 ? I don't think so as he hasn't done anywhere near enough to give a genuine opinion on his level.

4. ArseBandit

ArseBandit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    He got beat by one of the best ever? Hardly a fall from grace.

Guy has made $$$.

Suspect.chin and Star333 like this.
  5. iloverachel

Jun 12, 2020
    Normally I would agree, losing to one of the greatest undefeated champions is no shame. But it was the fact that Conor talked endless amounts of trash, called his father a coward, predicted a 1st round mauling of a "glass jaw rat", threw stuff at his bus, threatened to stomp him unconscious, was rude to him at the weigh ins, and also it was the biggest fight in UFC history (2.4 million PPV buys)

All the trash talk and disrespect on a personal level made the defeat humiliating. Robert Whittaker got whooped by Izzy, but no one made fun of him, they still supported him because he is always humble and classy.

Also its not just the loss, its the losses outside the cage, making headlines for all the wrong reasons, sucker punching senior citizens, sexual assault, court cases for the dolly incident.

He should have been more respectful to his opponents, and people wouldn't be posting Chicken and tapping jokes all the time to him. If you talk trash, back it up or your fans (and haters) will show no mercy. I saw a photo of Conor posting a photo of him with his family for halloween and angry Muslim Khabib fans hijacked it and even dissed his son which I believe is taking it too far. But those guys don't play around with religion so yeah

6. ArseBandit

ArseBandit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I don't dsagree, it was humiliating, but then I don't think Connor was ever rated by most as highly as Khabib. Khabib is just pure class.

The guy is stll a pretty damn good fighter even if he is a massive bellend.

Tbf though, I always thought he was a massive bellend, so for me he hasn't fallen from grace in terms of who he is. Guy's always been a ****.

iloverachel likes this.
  7. iloverachel

Jun 12, 2020
    Agreed. Great fighter, but his personality ruined the public's opinion of him.

But his over the top trash talk did lead to him being the biggest draw in MMA
    A lot of people called him the GOAT after he destroyed Aldo and Alvarez and became 2 weight champion. Now most call him overrated, since his losses to Nate Diaz (11 days notice) and Khabib.

Khabib is pure class I agree. Even in one of his fights he told his opponent you have to give up as he was pounding him. Only time Khabib didn't act with pure class was with Conor but I don't blame Khabib

8. ATG22

ATG22 Active Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2014
    I never understood why people take his trash talk so seriously. He’s a clever guy. He does it to sell. And he’s genuinely quick-witted. He’s humble in defeat (accepts it and doesn’t make excuses, looking to avenge his losses) and gracious to the foes he defeats.

The theatrics are just that, theatrics. He doesn’t hump them or flip them off after, he treats them with respect. Which means all the lead up is just fluff to sell. And sell he does. Nobody in MMA comes close to him.

He knows the trash talk is extremely polarizing. He gets some people to jump on his bandwagon, and he gets other people invested (emotionally and financially) to see him lose. He laughs all the way to the bank each time.

Suspect.chin likes this.
  9. iloverachel

Jun 12, 2020
    His trash talk was funny earlier in his career. But he literally called Khabib's father a quivering coward, called his manager a terrorist, offered him alcohol knowing Muslims don't drink etc.

On top of that, he hurled a metal dolly at a bus and injured three fighters (innocent weight drained fighters), Michael Chisea's face was bloodies, Rose became traumatized, the employees have to clean up the mess)

The trash talk with Khabib didn't seem so humorous and light-hearted. There were actually real threats, such as saying if he would have got off the bus Khabib would be dead, threatened to stomp him as he is unconscious. Theres fun trash like Ben Askren being cocky, then theres being blatantly rude and disrespectful. Thats just my two cents but yeah after fights he usually acts respectful to his opponents