Conor McGregor steps in to keep Irish gym from closing

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by FrankinDallas, Dec 15, 2020.

1. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Philip Mulpeter posted bad news Friday on Instagram. The gym he owns, SBG Portarlington in County Laois, Ireland, would have to close its doors due to financial concerns brought upon by COVID-19 lockdowns in the country.

"We've had three lockdowns now, and I think after each lockdown it's hard to get the same numbers back in," Mulpeter told ESPN. "People lose the routine and just our numbers were dropping. Every time there was a new lockdown, we got deeper and deeper into debt. ... Our landlord wasn't giving us any break on the rent or anything like that. We had to decide to shut the doors for good."

Then, in stepped
    This content is protected

The UFC superstar saw the social media post and called Mulpeter, a longtime friend and former training partner at SBG Ireland. McGregor told Mulpeter not to close SBG Portarlington -- he would send money to help save the gym. On Sunday, Mulpeter posted the news on Instagram that SBG Portarlington would be staying open indefinitely because of McGregor's support.

Mulpeter wouldn't disclose exactly how much McGregor donated, but said "we don't have to worry for the next year or two."

"I was like nearly crying there," Mulpeter said of the call with McGregor. "I didn't know what to say to him, to be honest. I'm forever grateful to him. He basically saved our little community. Words can't express what he's done for us. I know that he gets bad press. People don't report on it, but he does this stuff all the time. Conor is not looking for gratitude, he's not looking for the media to spread this around."

2. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 8, 2020
  3. Suspect.chin

Suspect.chin Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Diamond geezer

4. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Quality. McGregor a real one for this.

aaaaa and Suspect.chin like this.
  5. neverheardofher

neverheardofher Active Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Guilty of throwing around digs at McGregor where deserved but he's sorted out his own here big time. Good to see.