Conor Nigel Benn vs. Samuel Andrés Vargas Ariza & Shannon Courtenay vs. Ebanie Bridges RBR.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by CST80, Apr 10, 2021.

1. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Think Benn looked good last night in the way CEJ used to look good with fighters who just stood in front of him. Flashy, accurate combinations, decent power. I would like to see him perform against a boxer who moves him around more, and makes it more difficult for him to set his feet. Did what he had to though, and did it well...

kojak, mark ant and N17 like this.
  2. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I should first congratulate Benn, a very good win and exciting performance.

I had to dip out of here last night.. I just couldn't do it.

But the reason I had to dip out is because the hype is going to be off the charts now and I still don't think it's justified.. and if I say so then I'm a hater or bitter, so I either have to sit here and listen to people start going way over the top and accept it or just log out, so I decided to have a little break and let it settle.

Anyway, Beating Formella and Vargas is fine, good step ups but he needs a genuine test now, a real fight, not non punchers or ghosts of fighters brought over here to get beaten up.

We don't want Khan or Brook, it should be Avanesyan next.. I don't think they'll do it though.

But the thing that really irritated last night when Benn won last night the first thing he was screaming was "Pay Per View Baby, Pay Per View"

When a young fighter is screaming PPV after a win then we have hit serious problems as a sport, if beating Vargas makes you a PPV fighter then boxing is screwed.

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Right. I didn't see that bit, that's crazy.
    And some people here are still arguing that "pay per view" isn't bad for the sport ? :lol:

Young boxers don't even care about winning legit championships now to get to 'the big time' and become wealthy through being popular and legitimate champions and achievers, maybe even true all-time greats or national sporting heroes.

They just want enough hype and promotional backing to be "pay per view" stars, regardless of who they fight. Then the cash rolls in, and never stops rolling in, as long as thee promoters keep the hype going and convince ill-informed people this is premium-quality boxing.

sasto, BitPlayerVesti and N17 like this.
  4. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    right now Avanesyan is far more dangerous then shell of brook and khan.

CST80 and N17 like this.
  5. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    After he get methodical beat up from Vergil he is boxing corpse journeyman, nothing more.
    LOL, and looks that he is below top 100 even in boxrec.

CST80 likes this.
  6. N17

Feb 16, 2013

Hearn has done all of this, Hearn doesn't give a toss about the long term future of boxing in my opinion. he nearly killed PPV with Haye Vs Harrison, he said so himself, PPV on Sky was binned for a while after that ridiculousness.

The greatest example of a fighter that Hearn conned the public with is Whyte, Hearn has made Dillian Whyte a PPV fighter, Whyte have never fought for or won a European title, World title yet is on PPV now.

Sort of the same with Chisora, the man has lost 10 times, lost his last fight, yet is now in another PPV against Parker, Parker who struggled with Junior Fa, according to Hearn to only way to pay Chisora now is PPV money.

And Hearn this week said Conor Benn is the next PPV star, this isn't about boxing any longer, it's about numbers, Hearn is a numbers man, if they do a PPV and it sells then the fighters on that PPV are now PPV fighters.. that's the logic.

It will backfire at some point, there will be a tipping point, when casual fans realise they are being sold second rate talent for premium prices.

The only way this all stops is when people stop buying it, and it will happen, I am just not sure when. But Hearn is solely responsible for what's going on.

Sky also will suffer at some stage, the moment they lose Premier League football (and they will) its game over for Sky Sports because no boxing fan is subscribing for what we saw last night.

7. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Ofc, too predictable, he will beat shot Khan and Brook and fans will yell how cool he is.
    Next corpses in the ring.

N17 likes this.
  8. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    Parker is not that bad, he fought vs ref and A.J and judges. Didn't looked bad.
    Not a world beater but really more ppv worth than old Pulev, post covid and old legless shadow form Povetkin's ghost or post covid Glowacki corpse.

N17 likes this.
  9. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    I'd rather see Benn fight Next than Amir Khan.
    I think Khan is finishing

N17 likes this.
  10. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Benn only has a 50% KO ratio.

11. N17

Feb 16, 2013
    Yeah, I like Parker, he hasn't turned out to be what I thought he was going to but he is OK and a very nice man also, I don't begrudge fighters getting paid, I'd rather fighters get paid than promoters and platforms.

I think there are ways around all this, there are things that can be done to ease the pain of boxing fans..

For example, why am I paying the same money for AJ Vs Somebody as Chisora Vs Parker?

I would be open to the idea of a tier system, almost like they do for tickets at football matches for example..

Band A, £20, Band B £15, Band C £10

There could be certain criteria, a meaningful title, the card, the rankings, and even demand could all be taken in to account but it would be far fairer and be more justified when it came to certain fighters.

I can't pretend AJ Vs Ruiz III is the same value as Chisora Vs Parker.. it just isn't.

12. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I'd like to see him fight Ahmed El Mousaoui, Thulani Mbenge, Custio Clayton or Maurice Hooker next. None of them are an easy out, and they would truly test him. Not some waste of time, like Khan's frail shell would be.

13. The G-Man

The G-Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2020
    You know what s funny-I dont know when and if it will backfire.
    Check twitter-people are shilling everything Hearn says.
    People are just ignorant and well...not very bright.

N17 and mark ant like this.
  14. Max Thunder

Max Thunder Proud member of the Cult of Vikings Full Member

Apr 25, 2017
    The legend has it when David bested Goliath at the Valley of Elah he also shouted the immortal words "Pay Per View, *****!".

CST80, kojak, lepinthehood and 2 others like this.
  15. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    His boss essentially told him a win tonight equals a pay rise moving forward

Ie PPV

Dont blame Benn at all here, he has been lead to believe its the promised land

And unfortunately it kinda is

kojak and N17 like this.