Consensus opinion on Louis vs Dempsey circa 1945-50?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Sting like a bean, May 18, 2018.

1. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Heh heh, by pure coincidence (?) I just watched that two days ago. I wonder if google's "suggestions" algorithms integrate data from across multiple sites?... They very well might.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  2. Sting like a bean

Apr 9, 2017
    I don't suppose you recall the context in which Schmeling said that? I won't ask you to track it down yourself but anything that might narrow down a search would be appreciated.
    (The Scheming *******s who designed autocorrect don't see fit to recognize Schmeling's name. :pancarta: )

3. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    They probably do, though I'd actually seen if a while ago when I was looking for stuff on Braddock

4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Harry Salsinger of the Detroit News wrote after the Max Baer fight:

Nothing like this has ever happened before. No heavyweight champion in history was ever considered anything more than a good prospect after 18 months of professional boxing. Louis should continue flattening the heavyweights of the world and by the time he retires he undoubtedly will be nominated the greatest fighter of all time by acclamation.

5. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Louis was a lot more skilled, had faster hands, and a lot more ring intelligence...he was also far more proven against much better competition

Dempsey has a punchers chance of course but that’s it

6. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Damn....I hope I'm as sharp as Ray Arcel when (IF!) I ever hit 91 years of age!

ETM likes this.
  7. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Two-Ton Tony Galento reached Louis' jaw with his bi-plane speed left hook.

ETM likes this.
  8. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    When you have 25 title defenses, you tend to get caught a time or two. At least Louis got up in 3 seconds.

Bar room brawler Luis Firpo, whom makes galento look like Ali, reached dempsey twice with his bi-plane speed right hand. Knocked him out of the ring. Dempsey would have been out but was saved by a typewriter lifting him back into the ring

Louis cleaned out the best of his time for over a decade while Dempsey beat leftovers during his title reign, and bypassed the two overwhelming best contenders of his era

edward morbius likes this.
  9. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Bi-plane speed punches^. You are right. Just confirms that big punchers can put each other down when the fists start flying. As Dempsey once said about the Sharkey K.O., "What was I supposed to do, send him a telegram?"
    (Dempsey moving into the high-tech age).

10. Sting like a bean

Apr 9, 2017
    I'm not sure Louis had faster hands. Both had excellent hand speed.

11. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    It's never been satisfactorily explained to me how that type writer lifted him back in the ring.What would you rather land on a flat table or an old iron Corona?