Contemporary views on the Louis that faced Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Seamus, Apr 3, 2021.

1. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I think this speaks to the state of the division more than anything.

2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    There were a lot of good fighters around then.jersey Joe Walcott, Ezzard Charles, Jimmy Bivins, Roland Lastarza, Rex Layne, Clarence Henry, Joey Maxim, Lee Savold, cesar Brion...coming up you had Valdes, Baker and Archie Moore. Nothing poor about that division.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Perhaps, but even in a weak era you expect the top fighters to manage some sort of resistance.

4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I mean contemporary views are welcome here. If someone wants to gather contemporary views saying how excellent Louis looks, they're more than welcome to do so, it would be great. But even if someone is making meatballs, I don't think you can complain about it if they are doing it by gathering newspaper reports from the era. I mean that's essentially what this place is.

swagdelfadeel and Man_Machine like this.
  5. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Excerpt from The Indianapolis Star
    Friday 26 Oct 1951
    (P. 39)

This content is protected

6. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Profound

7. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    Excerpt from Lancaster New Era
    Wednesday 31 Oct 1951
    (P. 17)

by Harry Grayson

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  8. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    For me it is as simple as this:

These are the ONLY types of threads I've seen him reply to in my 3-4 years on this forum. I have even pointed this out to him and all I've gotten is crickets.

If it doesn't involve Liston, foreman, Williams, Rocky, Peds, or old school boxers vs modern giants he has not ever (to my Knowledge) ever responded to that thread. Yet he accuses others of having an obsession or baiting. Projecting much?

That tells me everything.

Balder and BlackCloud like this.
  9. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    "Followers Feel Brown Bomber Will Score KO-
    An extremely impressive showing in his last sparring session yesterday-featuring a display of the old-time "Brown Bomber" power...Right now, wagering men are inclined to agree with Louis to the extent of making him a 6.5 to 5 choice for the bout that may gain him a 1952 title shot. The form showed by the 37-year-old ex-champion in his final ring drill should keep the odds from falling much lower. High-light of the workout was a ripping left hook to the chin that floored spar mate Holly Smith of Bermuda, a booming knockdown like the kind always seen in the training camp of the "old Louis." And the Louis right was also shown to be in fine working order. Since he lost to Ezzard Charles in Sept 1950, Joe has depended more and more upon his right..and that was landing just as effectively as his left yesterday."

"We are wondering what will happen when Marciano is belted, and when he has to, Louis can still do a pretty good job at that....
    You are tempted to pick against Louis this trip, but like a lot of other people you years ago learned never to do that, even if the ancient bloke was in his 68th year.
    ...[Marciano] hasn't done enough to merit a selection over even an antiquated version of Joe Louis."

"Louis still has a mean left jab, he's flamed with the desire to show the Big Apple he's right...and the ring wise battler with thinning pate is still a cutie in the heat of the battle."

"Gotham scribes seem to think Rocky Marciano will be beaten by Joe Louis later this month. The fight experts around that way seem to figure Louis too crafty for the Brockton boy."

"Joe Louis is still a good fighter, going fairly strong at the age of 37."

"Joe, hitting with his old snap and speed and shooting combinations with devastating effect, has just the style to stop Marciano."

10. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Modern Margrets are in full panic mode rn

Balder and choklab like this.
  11. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    I have been working my way through threads starting from January 2010 and it really is quite concerning.
    Year after year.
    Something must have originally triggered it as its certainly not normal.

At one point he was fixated with " The Spinks Experiment "

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  12. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Wonderful work.

13. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Are you sure?

14. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    Albuquerque Journal
    Friday 26 Oct 1951
    (P. 22)

15. Boxing GOAT

Boxing GOAT Active Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Who was disputing that Louis was washed up and didn't even have a puncher's chance? I don't know one boxing fan who thinks it was a good win for Rocky, even Marciano himself knew that.