Convert to southpaw stance?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Boxer62, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Boxer62

Boxer62 New Member Full Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I learnd the orthodox stance in boxing and iam really good at it (leading the fight with the jab, good defense etc.) but my problem is that my right hand is to weak! I know that i can improve my punching power for my right hand but i never can reach this really strong knockout power that i got in my left hand. Now i want to convert to southpaw stance to put my strong hand back. The southpaw stance feels very awkward for me and i dont come foreward with my feet. What should i do to feel myself really safe and comfortable in the southpaw boxing stance as i do in the orthodox stance and is this impossible for me to get better in a stance that feels weard BY BEGINNING (sry for my english iam from germany)

2. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004

I believe the southpaw stance is when the right hand is the forward hand and the left hand is the rear hand. You can switch stances but you're going to have to work a while to do it effectively.

3. Boxer62

Oct 23, 2017

I dont want to switch stances in the ring i want to learn southpaw and do it all the time in the ring without to switch to orthodox

4. Northadox

Northadox Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    You'll just have to switch and stick at it. I'm assuming you go to a boxing gym, try go southpaw and shadow box and see what mistakes you're making (Probably a lot, as everything is opposite)

It'll take a while to get use to it as there will be things you do naturally in Orthodox that you'll have to think of at first such as footwork and transferring weight

Stick at it, ask others/coaches or record yourself shadowboxing, then try bags and pads then eventually sparring once you're comfy

Boxer62 likes this.
  5. Butch Coolidge

Jul 20, 2004
    I'm not sure about this but it might depend on how good your left hook is. If you have a killer left hook you might be better off staying orthodox. Mike Tyson is actually a natural left hander and he does have a killer left hook but D'Amato may have started him out as orthodox. Probably if the jab is the strongest part of your game then going southpaw might be a good idea. I couldn't switch to southpaw because I didn't want to give up my left hook since everything was built around my hook.

6. Boxer62

Oct 23, 2017
    My left hook is very hard much harder than my jab but i think the strong hand should be behind the weak hand because in boxing your lead hand will more used than your strong hand so it will get stronger. Even if you pratice your weaker right hand in orthodox stance your left hand will be much stronger for example andre ward ist left handed orthodox fighter who trains his weak hand and if he trys the ko he starts to fight southpaw because he dont got the ko power in his right hand

7. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Why not just learn to throw a right hand?

8. Butch Coolidge

Jul 20, 2004
    sometimes Micky Ward would go southpaw when fighting inside so he could wind up the left hook more. Like Freddy Roach says go with what the fighter is comfortable with. Personally I never was comfortable with a right hook coming from a southpaw position but I had spent so much time developing the left hook throwing anything else seemed awkward and unnatural.