Cormier Lesnar farce should not be for title.

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by andrewa1, Apr 4, 2019.

1. andrewa1

andrewa1 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Cormier had the great achievement of beating Miocic and is one of the pfp UFC atgs, sure. That doesn't mean he should get the two easiest title defenses in the history of the division. Especially when the division has finally heated up, with probably the most legit talent it's ever had.

Ngannou, Miocic, Dos Santos are all very deserving of a title shot, and frankly I'd make each one a slight favorite against Cormier. It's absolute bull**** that Cormier is allowed to hold the division hostage like this right now. If he wants to have the fight and ride off into the sunset on an easy win on a huge purse, I don't have a problem with that, just strip him of the title and make it a normal fight, and have ngannou and dos Santos fight for the vacant belt with Miocic getting the winner immediately.

2. The Funny Man 7

The Funny Man 7 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 1, 2005
    I agree 100% about the Lesnar fight and that it is a farce. I don't quite see eye to eye about the Lewis defense being a softball defense. Even though Lewis is flawed as hell, he'd legitimately earned his shot, going 9-1 in his last ten. It wasn't just the win over Volkov either; he also beat Roy Nelson and kayoed Marcin Tybura as well as admittedly shopworn versions of Travis Browne and Gabriel Gonzaga. Yeah, the circumstances conspired against Lewis giving his best performances, but I think DC beating Lewis was a legit accomplishment, especially given how easily he sliced his way through to the win.

But yea, the Brock fight is bogus. Stipe has really shot himself in the foot by sitting out and bitching for a rematch. Aldo & Rockhold could have warned him that you can't posture for a title shot rematch coming off a 1st round loss.

Imagine if Stipe had tried to get right back into action by fighting someone like Olexis Olynik or Curtis Blaydes last year. Then he could have fought either JDS or Lewis in March. Now he would have a clear mandate for a title shot, framing DC as a lame duck champion. Now we have to wait for Francis vs. JDS for a clear #1 contender to emerge.

TLDR: Stipe is wasting precious time on a doomed strategy.

3. andrewa1

andrewa1 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I basically agree. But Lewis, while he earned his shot on resume, just wasn't ever really a threat to Cormier stylistically or otherwise. It was clear to everyone and it's why he took the fight on short notice, he basically admitted as much. The fight in isolation was still legit, but I have a huge problem with it when his next fight is a complete farce and walkover like Lesnar. There are three guys who've earned a title shot who I think could beat Cormier, and another who hasn't earned it but would still probably win, in Cain. It's B's he got to have 2 defences against no hopers, even if one of them deserved it one resume, when there are 3 or 4 other fighters around who could very possibly beat him

I sympathize with Miocic. He had the greatest run in UFC HW history and was consistently underrated and underappreciated. When he lost, he thought he deserved an immediate rematch. It's debatable, but he deserved a quicker rematch a hell of a lot more than others who got it like Cain, who were liked by the UFC. But yeah, the UFC just wasn't going to be reasonable to him and now even fans like me think JDS and Ngannou are as deserving of a title shot.

4. Mr Icaman

Mr Icaman 32-0 WBC Champ, Ring + Lineal HW Champ Full Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Agree Lesnar has done nothing to even earn a shot other than being a circus act the UFC can get a few extra PPV buys with and thats what this fight is all about..

I'm fine with having circus act fights but imagine if the WBC said Mayweather McGregor was for the Welterweight Championship of the World how the public would have reacted..

Have the fight don't involve the Belt..

andrewa1 likes this.
  5. shanemfr

shanemfr Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Shows the absolute shyte double standards of the UFC circus, the lower weights guys get their interim titles etc stripped if they don't fight every 2nd week and lose a shot at the real belt...yet the juice monster that hasn't had a legit win since dinosaurs roamed the earth steps in when he is feeling up to it and gets a shot. pretty much majority of the top 10 would obliterate Lesnaroid...it pisses all over the value of a belt again by this company
    May as well rename UFC to the Ultimate Farce Championship.

Francis75 likes this.
  6. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Money, money, money ...

7. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Steroid Junkie Full Member

May 8, 2014
    Lewis is a mediocre club fighter but was the legit n.1 contender with the run of fluke Hail Mary KOs he was on. I disagree that this current era is brimming with talent, this is the worst state the UFC HW division has been in since the Timmah-Arlovski era.

8. anders100

anders100 Active Member Full Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Really?

Cormier is one of the greatest p4p all time, Cain is/was a monster and Ngannou ko'ed him. JDS doesn't seem over the hill, Curtis Blaydes have proved he is better than the old guys. I'll say the champ and 1-4 in the division are great talents - Cain might still have something left, Ngannou just caught him clean.

9. anders100

anders100 Active Member Full Member

Mar 16, 2016
    But i agree it is in a bad state right now with a champ unwilling to fight the top-contenders in hope of a money fight with Lesnar, and the UFC is a money *****, so they don't care about rankings or anything and happily lets Cormier wait until Lesnar are ready it seems. Miocic doesn't want to fight unless it is Cormier for the title or a money fight like Jones - that's bull**** again. Just fight ffs, been fit to fight for a long time - fight then and prove you are the number one challenger.

In general the UFC is shitshow right now IMO. Champs challenging in other divisions, champs holding out the division being suspended or unwilling to fight - Khabib and Cormier. Holloway is now fighting for the interim belt in 155 as the 145 champ, Dillashaw went down to 125 to challenge for the belt as the 135 champ. Cejudo is challenging for the vacated 135 belt as the 125 champ. Cormier challenged for the HW belt as the 205 champ. Conor challenged for the 155 belt as the 145 champ and even had to fights at 170 inbetween.

UFC is a buisness and they don't give a **** about anything other than making money. Sadly. Back to the point. Talent wise i think the HW division are in a decent state right now - but the situation are crap.

10. Francis75

Francis75 FAB 4 Full Member

Oct 1, 2007
    It really is shocking how a crap mma fighter like Derrick Lewis has so many ufc wins. Wasn't he like 9 wins in 10 ufc fights before his title shot ? And then you have chinny dinosaurs WAY past their prime in Overeem/Arlovski who are permanently in the top 10 of the division. The only good young blood at heavyweight seems to be Blaydes and Nganno, the rest of them are bums.