Cormier v Miocic II

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by andrewa1, May 16, 2019.

Who wins?

1. Miocic

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Cormier

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. andrewa1

andrewa1 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Who do you like? Yes, it was a first round stoppage, but I think Cormier got a bit lucky in a fight he had been losing with an eyepoke, sloppy game plan from Miocic, and one great shot. I like Miocic to even it up.

Birmingham and Manassas like this.
  2. Manassas

Manassas “Rumble young man rumble!” Full Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Either one can ice you with one shot.

Between DC’s advancing age and Miocic’s inactivity... for me it’s 50/50.
    Was glad to hear the fight’s happening, we needed a rerun on that one.

3. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Are eye pokes allowed in this one?

4. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Eyepokes are common in mma. Many guys won after a poke to the eye.

DC reads the game well and predicted Stipes attack. Whether he can use his IQ to win again is unkown. Good fight.

5. andrewa1

andrewa1 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Yeah, at least it's not Cormier Lesnar. Kinda wish it was cormier Ngannou though, that one would be real interesting.

The Funny Man 7 likes this.
  6. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    I’ve seen a ref take points from 1 eye poke. I think after 2 it’s time to take a point. Especially when it’s done on purpose. If it’s done on purpose and it effects the fighter like masvidal vs Larkin you can deduct after 1.
    Cormier vs stipe they didn’t even acknowledge like 3 eyepokes. Right before the ko he was poked aswell.

Birmingham likes this.
  7. The Funny Man 7

The Funny Man 7 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Tough fight to call. Stipe normally has tight striking and good strategy but in the first fight with Cormier he fought with Jermain Taylor-esque fight IQ (that is to say, really bad fight IQ). He has a lot of room to improve while Cormier has been showing subtle signs of aging with accumulating injuries.

That said, being kayoed in the first round is a hell of a psychological deficit to bounce back from, especially given that he hasn't fought since that kayo loss. That's a major obstacle, even for a guy as tough and as stoic as Stipe.

I've posted in several threads already, but I'll repeat it again. Stipe has shot himself in the foot by sitting out since the Cormier loss. To me, a rubber match with JDS would have been the smart move, especially after JDS' stock soared with his wins over Ivanov and Tuivasa (maybe soared is overstating it, but 2 good wins). It would have settled the series with JDS which was locked at 1-1, and it would have been great from a risk-reward perspective. If Stipe would have fought Lewis when JDS fought lewis, that would have been another good rebound win as well.

8. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    but illegal and should be ruled a NC if its effected the fighter

9. shanemfr

shanemfr Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 29, 2004
    DC bags him again..Stipe's cardio and chin are way over rated, he gassed himself against Ngamou who laid down and did eff all. DC is better all round, there was nothing lucky in the first fight, he started finding his range and was tagging Stipe before belting him.

10. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Tbf DC nailed him inside a round so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see DC prevail again.