corrie sanders vs jack dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ticar, Jun 9, 2013.

1. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Name one trainer that calls Sanders the greatest hwt ever to live. Name one that calls him a great fighter. Don't bother you won't find one. He was a fighter of very limited ability.

I can list a dozen all time trainers, boxing historians and other great all time champions who say Dempsey was the greatest hwt ever to live. Watch him fight some time. One of the most highly skilled hwts who ever lived. Inside game second to none.

2. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Guys, this is a match up like all others that should be decided on styles ... Cory was an under achiever but still a very big (6'4") , strong, fast starting, fast and murderous punching boxer / puncher ... All I could go on is what I've seen and that is Dempsey being hit hard and early by Carpentier, Brennen, Firpo and putting aside Sharkey and Tunney when he was semi-shot ... I'f Dempsey is tagged early, it is over ... Sanders would knock him into the third row ... if Dempsey avoids it for a few rounds Sanders may tire but I clearly like Sanders ..

See how Sanders had zero problem teeing off on the much smaller Czyz ..

***********.youtube.com/watch?v=8N2tyToGAWA

3. ticar

ticar Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Dec 7, 2008
    :good

4. he grant

Jul 15, 2008

Fair enough but who said it and when ? Tell me one top trainer from today that says he would have been dominate against today's super heavyweights ... there is none .. in addition , if you say Sanders was clearly limited you know nothing abput the fighter ... Sanders was a disappointment because he was very talented but not dedicated ...

5. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Sanders? Dempsey...in his youth, had to fight much bigger men in hobo camps just to stay alive...prime Dempsey kicks his ass...

6. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    What sort of statement is this ? You know who he fought in the hobo camps ? Maybe you can tell us how many and of those were world class super heavyweights ? I've been away for a while but am surprised how badly this site is sucking wind on quality of posters ... wow. It's always been high school but now it's grade school ...

7. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    janitor

You think Sanders got lucky against Wlad? Thats a load of ****.

How can you justify Wlad was still developing when he was a world champ with 40 fights and 7 years pro experience. On top of a decorated amateur background?
    Fighters pretty much regress in development at that stage.

Sanders beat Wlad because Wlad just isn't that great.

Ross Purity of all people proved that.

Before you make an excuse for that loss, Lewis was as at the exact same point in his career (24.0) when he lost to McCall and nobody makes excuses for him.

8. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    :good

9. sugarkills

sugarkills Active Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Jack Dempsey KO Corrie Sanders RD1

10. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    OK, there are a couple of points you need to bear in mind.

I will grant you that it is an awful era that Wlad is dominating, but is there really nobody better than Sanders or Purity?

Yes Sanders pretty much needed some luck to beat anybody at world level.

Personally I would allow some level of excuse for Lewis’s loss to McCall

11. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    Brewster, Povektin.... Lots of guys are better than Purity. He has 20 loses.

Sanders was told by Lewis how to beat Wlad and he obviously took notice because the gameplan went off without a hitch.
    He knew what he was doing, stayed calm and saw it through.

Wlad came up too short in the talent pool and wasn't able to deal with the southpaw stance. He's a limited straight ahead puncher and it showed.

I dont see any case for Sanders just getting lucky.

12. janitor

Feb 15, 2006

13. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    The quality of his current oppoents is far worse than what it was back then so the conclusion cant be drawn up he has improved. He just got matched against his sparring partners and over the hill cruiser weights.

Manny just disguised his flaws. There are still there. Sanders would still pummell todays Wlad. No rematch tells you everything you need to know.

14. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Do you realy think that Corrie Sanders was better than Sultan Ibragimov, Ruslan Chagaev, David Haye, or even somebody like Tony Tomphson?

I think that the main reason why Brester got a rematch while Sanders didn't, is because Saanders went into the tank.

15. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    What do the Haye and Sultan fights prove? There was nothing in them. Both times neither men were willing to engage.
    Theres nothing to draw from those fights.

Brewster was retired from injuries when when Wlad called for a rematch. If anybody was in the tank , it was him.

The conclusion here is Wlad is not adaptable and folds under pressure from average fighters.

Right now he's on the verge of ducking a pressure fighter.