Cotto's plan B

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Alo2006, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Bob Arum said if Margorita lose to Williams, Cotto will persue Cintron or Clottey. I got this from ESPN boxing page.

2. acb

acb De Camaguey... Gavilan Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I honestly think Cintron is a very difficult fight for Cotto, he is a big welter with heavy hands.

Clottey is also a difficult fight, he is allways underated and a wild card.

Margo is a difficult fight also, but I think Cotto stops him.

3. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    I'd like to see a Cintron fight - Could he do what Torres couldn't and stop Cotto? Maybe, but maybe not.

Clottey would be a tough fight for Cotto

4. mightyd40

mightyd40 Spartan Full Member

Mar 21, 2007
    why not just fight williams instead?? i would rather see that anyway. def not cintron if he did choose to go after the other 2, i wouldnt mind seeing cotto/clottey

5. Antwuan Maxx

Antwuan Maxx Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 23, 2006
    The article also mentioned Mosley as a possible (yet unlikely..even though the Top Rank/Golden Boy beef is almost over) opponent, and Williams too, depending on how he looks if does pull off the upset. Cotto vs. Mosley/Margarito would be on HBO PPV, and Cotto-Clottey or Cotto-Cintron would be on regular HBO.

Personally, if it's not Cotto-Margarito or Mosley, I'd love to see Cotto-Clottey. That fight will be a war and a guaranteed FOTY candidate.

6. KhanB

KhanB Active Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2006
    To me Clottey is the kind of fighter people just naturally avoid. He's too tough and he doesnt have a fan base who can generate interest into him fighting the big names. Margarito and Cintron could also be tough for him bcuz theyre so big. Judah was a small welterweight and i dont think Hatton would be a legit welterweight either. IMO Cotto is right in the middle at WW.

7. BigReg

BigReg Broad Street Bully Full Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I agree with Khan. Cotto should stay away from Clottey. Clottey is solid defensively, has nice power(you don't need great power to stun Cotto), he can take a punch and is much bigger than Cotto(the guy came into his fight against Corrales weighing 170 lbs) I'm not saying Cotto would definately lose, but he's stayed undefeated by overpowering his opponents. Torres and Judah could have beat Cotto (especially Torres)if they could have stood up to Cotto's punches. Margarito couldn't put a dent in Clottey, and he hits pretty hard. Oh yeah, Clottey might be the only WW who is rougher and dirtier than Cotto.

8. MSTR

MSTR More Speed Than Roy!!!!! Full Member

Feb 19, 2005
    I don't know why he wouldn't try to fight Paul Williams. If Paul beats Marg then he will be pretty big news. Cotto style wise would destroy Williams also, as he can't handle fighters getting right in on his chest with his long arms.

9. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Boris Christoff Full Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Paul Williams or Margarito/Cintron are his easiest fights. Mosely is a challenge, the rest he'd brutally destroy, including the underrated Collazo.

10. o_money

o_money Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 8, 2006
    why not williams....scared?

11. El Bombasto

El Bombasto Ask yo momma Full Member

May 23, 2006
    all good choices

12. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006

I agree, I posted earlier that I believe Clottey would beat Cotto, and I'm sticking to it :yep

13. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Boris Christoff Full Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Clottey fights in spurts, is not very mobile and his power is not what it seems, afterall, he only has 19 KO's and has failed to stop several fighters with shitty or average chins.

He struggled greatly with Gutierrez, who struggled some with a complete can in his last outing.

Cotto TKO 5, Clottey can be hurt to the body and his body is always open to hit.