Could an angry Joseph "The New Zealand Mike Tyson" Parker be Wilder's kryptonite?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Furiouspillows, Nov 27, 2019.

1. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I think there is a possibility of Parker winning a few early rounds but I think he gets knocked out within 7 rounds

lloydturnip likes this.
  2. Boxingfan200

Boxingfan200 USYK #1 P4P banned Full Member

Feb 5, 2017
    it was a close fight.. it was 50/50

3. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006
    First off, Parker is no Mike Tyson. Not even close! Parker was timid against Joshua because he was afraid of his power. Wilder hits harder and Parker will be even more timid and afraid of that right hand. Wilder beats Parker!

lloydturnip likes this.
  4. Kiwi_in_America

Kiwi_in_America The Tuaminator Full Member

Oct 19, 2006
    I agree Parker shrank back in the AJ fight

I don't see that happening again....

5. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Parker win, technically better, has a granit chin, Wilder hasnt fought anyone with half hand speed of Parker and he is probably a bigger puncher than Wilder has fought.

It will never happen, Wilder will avoid him like the plague.

kiwi_boxer likes this.
  6. Kiwi_in_America

Oct 19, 2006
    Agreed Mitch

Sadly.....

lloydturnip likes this.
  7. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Maybe because Ortiz is a South paw with power and size and extremely well schooled? And what was the end result again ? Did he go 12 with a short order cook from sweden while getting busted up, wobbled and cut ? Or did he go like your hero Parker two thirds with the Ghost of another Samoan Alex L? Or what about the boxing god Usyk who went rounds and rounds while getting busted up with a total can of all cans in his Heavy debut /

Maybe Parker wins a meaningful fight first before he takes on the Big Dogs......he could not even get by Punchbah Whyte.

8. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Sorry parker is a decent fighter but not good enough .Not particularly quick or hard hitting and not hard to hit .Gets hit hard and sparked fairly early.Not pretty

9. edabomb

edabomb Active Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Parker is a great fighter on paper. The problem is once he gets in the ring he defends without countering, attacks in a very predictable and conventional method, and he doesn't want to go to war and risk getting hurt himself.

1 of these things would need to change if he wanted to challenge Wilder. The key change would be Kevin Barry, who is fine as a hype man but offers nothing as a trainer.

10. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Wilder = bum squad . A list of 49 tomato cans means very little.

Parker, who isn't my hero actually, was headbutted and fouled relentlessly by Druggyped Whyte, yet was still held back from KOing him in round 12 by the embarrassing referee. Imagine how it pans out in a fair fight.

11. Kiwi_in_America

Oct 19, 2006
    Grinder - very true about the Whyte fight.

12. smiffyinoz

smiffyinoz Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Parker is overrated.

lloydturnip likes this.
  13. fistsof steel

fistsof steel Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
  14. Lith

Lith Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Parker LITERALLY chased Joshua around the ring at points in that fight. He tried to fight a smart fight, you don't want to do anything stupid with AJ *but* afraid was not a thing.... his main problem was AJ using his reach to his advantage when able to (fair enough, was wise - and could argue your own point that he was scared) and then when Parker got close enough the ref split them up.

RE: Wilder, I have different moods about this - I said YEARS ago that I felt like Wilder may be the "ideal" top guy for Parker to fight because Parker is much better technically, faster, and most importantly has a chin. AJ is a much better boxer than Wilder and despite having the ref helping AJ out, Parker had success in that fight. AJ never put a dent in Parker, Parker's body work was starting to make AJ wince towards the end of the fight despite being hard to get the range in.

Parker sometimes takes the occasional shot, but he never takes more than one in a row - has a good enough chin that arguably even against Wilder he'll be still standing. Parker may not be as good as Ortiz, but he's faster and has a better tank, and a much better chin. I wouldn't call it a safe or easy fight but Parker could take Wilder to the later rounds, and knick enough to make it very interesting.

There is a lot about Parker which is like a tougher younger Ortiz, and if Ortiz was able to take a bit more punishment he may well have won the second, if not both fights.

SmackDaBum, TipNom and ThePainMan like this.
  15. ThePainMan

ThePainMan Member banned Full Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Wilder doesn't hit harder than Joshua. Wait I know what you will type. But Wilder knocked out Dominic Breazeale in 1 round and Joshua took 9. Okay and Joshua knocked out Eric Molina in 2 or 3 rounds while Wilder took 9. Andy Ruiz knocked out Molina in 1 round so his punch must be bigger than both Joshua or Wilder's right? That isn't how punching power works. Either way Wilder went 12 with a old Bermaine Stiverne in their first fight. Parker is better than Stiverne and is at least still in his prime. Parker has the skill to beat Wilder. Which isn't really saying much.

SmackDaBum and kiwi_boxer like this.