Could any 80s contender have been the GOAT with perfect management and drug-free dedication?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    They shared an era with the best versions of Tyson and Holmes. They would inevitably need to beat at least one of them at their best, preferably both, to be considered the GOAT.

Even with the best management, discipline, and no drug/alcohol issues, I can't see any of the lost generation pulling that off. Gun to my head, maybe Witherspoon could pull off something amazing but I doubt it. He had so many close calls with guys like Thomas, Tubbs, etc so there's no guarantee he beats a prime Holmes. The fact he was KOd in 1 by Smith doesn't give me much confidence in his chances against Tyson. Thomas had the right combination of size, skill, and ability, but I would not be confident that he could win the majority of fights against all the 80's guys.

I'm not saying they would need to be undefeated, but they would need to beat the majority of the 80's guys convincingly (no dubious SDs or MDs) or at least win a rematch while also beating Tyson and Holmes. I don't think this an unfair criteria to set given how weak the era could be at times. If I wanted to be harsh I would demand that they also beat Holyfield and Bowe in the early 90's.

2. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Although it's interesting to wonder whether our hypothetical GOAT would benefit from the "Ali Effect" that automatically promoted every guy he fought into an invincible worldbeater from the Greatest Era Ever. So all those SDs and MDs might just make our hypothetical GOAT contender look better by christening his opponents as awesome, famous fighters who stood up to the GOAT.

Ali Holmes likes this.