Could any other former lightweight champion go 15 rounds with a prime Marvin Hagler?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BoxingDialogue, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Duran wouldn't go the distance with Hagler in a hypothetical matchup.

Gatekeeper, Bujia and mrkoolkevin like this.
  2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Duran wouldn't go the distance in real life if Hagler had just gone on the offensive

3. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
  4. BoxingDialogue

BoxingDialogue Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2019
    Hagler has said that Duran was the most skillful boxer he ever faced.

Reinhardt, ETM, The Morlocks and 2 others like this.
  5. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Interesting idea... I keep thinking of how I see the Leonard/Hagler fight had Marvin been in his prime (I see Leonard getting stopped). So yeah, in Marvelous' prime it's quite possible.

6. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Go 15? Sure if they fought a Hagler who was rather passive like Marvin was with Duran. Why not? Just about 2 years before the Hagler fight, Duran lost what I thought was a onesided decision to Wilfred Benitez at a weight below the Hagler fight.

7. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Yep. Even Roman Gonzalez and that tsunami known as Fighting Harada could beat fighters with skill and aura, even when physically outclassed.

Tin_Ribs likes this.
  8. Roughhouse

Roughhouse Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Agreed, and it surely makes you wonder why he put the cuffs on himself. Is it possible he agreed to carry Duran the distance as part of getting the fight? Always thought Marvin made a backdoor agreement to fight Rightie for three rounds as part of getting SRL in the ring.

9. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    I watched this bout live. Hagler was intimidated by Duran like no other opponent and this was a factor as to why the bout became as close at it was. Duran kept landing his right hand with Marvin in his Southpaw stance then would smother his offense making it an ugly looking fight. Hagler finally turned up the heat the last few rounds as Duran appeared exhausted. Could another former light weight champion do as well? I doubt it.

10. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Who knows. Maybe Benitez could have beaten Hagler and not just gone the distance had he fought him since he easily beat Duran over 15 rounds about 2 years before Duran fought Hagler and a weight class below.

The Morlocks likes this.
  11. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Doubt Benitez would. Hagler would not be intimidated against Benitez. He had no significant power to hurt or even keep Marvin at bay.

Eventually Hagler catches him and it’s lights out.

12. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Pernel-the first sign of early altim is repeating yrself.
    Pernel= the first sign of advanced sinility is saying the same thing twice.
    Pernel the 3rd sign of gonorrhea is blisters on the fingers.

13. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Me and everyone I have watched the Benitez fight with felt Duran won that fight 9 rds to 5 with 1 even. You boxing revisionists are something else. I hope Wilfred goes home soon. The saddest case ever.

14. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Benitez vs. Duran was signficant Duran fans are very very hypocritical. When he lost to Hearns and Benitez he was fat and overweight and past his weight-yet the Leonard fight was not too far before Benitez, yet when he goes 15 with Hagler at the higher weight or beats Barkley 5 years at the same higher weight (160) after Hearns beats him at 154,, that proves his greatness. So if he showed greatness above the weight that Hearns beat him and and 5 years later or 7 months before-near the same time then Hearns beat a guy who was great. Duran fans cannot have it both ways. Actually they do have it both ways and they get mad when I mention this. It is a discrepancy in regards to facts. Which I think is valid.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  15. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Benitez won that fight easily and outclassed Duran. Talk about revisionism. And then Duran getting knocked out by Tommy in 2 rounds, and Benitez going 15 with Thomas in the same era they all fought each other.