Could Evander Holyfield make it 49-0 in the 50s?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by GOAT Primo Carnera, Sep 26, 2020.

Could Evander Holyfield make it 49-0 in the 50s?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Moore was 38. His mother had Almost zero to do with his life I wouldn’t expect her to know his birthday. Holyfield like Marciano fought the best at the time. Not his fault Douglas wasn’t in condition but it’s true that it degrades the win.

choklab likes this.
  2. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Layne was a better contender then anyone in the 80s. Challenge you to find someone with a better five wins.

choklab likes this.
  3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Moore's birthdate will always be a subject of conjecture.If anyone knew Moore's birthday I'd expect it to be his Mother and that goes for everybody! He had a motive for pretending he was younger ,she had none!

4. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    His manager saw his birth certificate and confirmed he was 38 for Marciano (needed it for the Australian trip to get his passport). Moore liked the press of people not knowing how old he was. Was all a gimmick.

choklab likes this.
  5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Nobody knows not Wikipedia,Brittanica,CBZ or Box rec most provide two alternative dates1913 &1916.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  6. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    It’s not BS it’s the managers words. It’s in Biography of a first son I believe will look it up later.

choklab likes this.
  7. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    In Holyfields era retired fighters from the 1970s made it to the top ten. It was a good era but don’t pretend Layne would not have beaten faded guys like Pinklon Thomas as Holyfield had. Evander got into the top ten of the heavyweight division beating James Tillis and Pinklon Thomas. They had both seen better days.

Carlos Deleon. Was he as good of a fighter as Lastarza?

8. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    It's fair enough to agree to disagree mate, no hard feelings and have a nice day

Bokaj likes this.
  9. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    This is of course purely hypothetical, but I would favour the version of Foreman Holy beat to beat any version of Rocky. And also the versions of Bowe and Tyson he beat.

The versions of Dokes, Holmes and even Stewart and Cooper would be interesting. In all other cases a guy of Rocky's size shouldn't stand a chance against these guys, but Rocky was special. Not only strong and fit and all that, but a tricky customer as well. Tough to time and hit clean and an underrated counter puncher.

10. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    That's how I feel about the "top heavyweights" of the 80 in general, including Page, Coetzee, Tubbs. They all either lost to people they shouldn't have lost to, got unfathomably lazy, etc. Even guys with a Tyson-level punch like Weaver looked like he was bizarrely sleepwalking through whole portions of fights (who knows what demotivated him during the Dokes fight, though I still feel he won it he should have put WAY more effort in than he did).

choklab likes this.
  11. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    This itself is an intriguing idea. Perhaps because a) George seemed to have a chin of granite at that time and b) he jabbed way more (and that's saying a hell of a lot).

I don't know, I keep thinking of Qawi catching him with those overhand rights in their fight...Rocky was certainly more than a cut above imo.

choklab likes this.
  12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Want to quantify all the ranked fighters Lastarza ducked?
    Name the wins.

13. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Qawi and Rocky were stylistically quite different and that fight was also pretty early in Foreman's comeback if I remember correctly. I think he hit his comeback peak around the time he fought Holy. I just feel Foreman was a very bad match-up for Rocky.

14. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I will not rest until Holyfield goes 49-0 and proves that Marciano ain’t nuthin

You hear me?

choklab likes this.
  15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Thomas was ranked for 4 consecutive years.
    82 no8
    83 no4
    85 no1
    86 no3
    87 no5
    You don't know what you're talking about.

80's ranked contenders who beat Lastarza and Layne.
    Weaver
    Cooney
    Spinks
    Dokes
    Coetzee
    Berbick
    Page
    Thomas
    Witherspoon
    Tate
    Bruno
    Smith