Could FOTC Ali, Beat Joe Louis?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Apr 2, 2022.

1. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    FOTC Ali did seem inexplicably either unable or incapable of keeping his right hand up. It becomes ridiculous to watch by the midpoint of the fight. He would have saved himself from a lot of heavy blows had he done that. Louis didn't quite have the hook of Frazier, but it was still powerful...when throw in combinations it could bother Ali. A lot.

2. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Was almost as if he wanted to get hit.
    If Ali had the chinof, say Patterson, he isn't getting through that fight!

3. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Agreed. And I wouldn't send the Joe Louis of the Baer or 2nd Schmeling fights in to try to beat FOTC Ali. I think the Joe Louis of 1940-1942 would have a much better chance of doing the deed. In fact, my Granddaughter believes that version of Joe Louis could beat 1965-1967 Ali. When she and I discuss it at length she almost makes a believer out of me. Joe was my #1 before I saw Muhammad.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    cross_trainer likes this.
  4. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Solely in terms of who beats whom, how has your opinion about the best heavyweight ever evolved over time?

Was there a point where you considered Dempsey to be the guy before Louis? Did anybody after Ali hold the position, and if so, for how long?

djanders likes this.
  5. djanders

Feb 21, 2009
    When I was a young lad, I thought Jack Dempsey was the best of all time, having adopted my Dad's view of the situation. (Bye the way, my Grandfather favored Jack Johnson.) By the time I was 18, Joe Louis was the man for me in the #1 slot. Then, as Muhammad Ali's career progressed, I moved Ali into the #1 spot... and he's held that spot, in my mind, ever since.

What's humorous to me is when people think most older boxing people always favor the best fighters of our youths. That would be Joe Louis for me. Then, my 47 year old Granddaughter argues for Joe Louis against her 97 year old Grandfather (me), who argues for Muhammad Ali! Lol. By the previously mentioned definition, she should be arguing for Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield and I should be arguing for Joe Louis.

6. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I'm curious. Was there ever a point where you thought that a more recent fighter might be better head to head than Ali? Pre-Douglas Tyson, perhaps? Lennox? Wlad? Holmes, even? Or has Ali remained firmly on his perch throughout?

JohnThomas1 and djanders like this.
  7. djanders

Feb 21, 2009
    After I put Ali on that perch, he's held tight to it so far.

Fergy and cross_trainer like this.
  8. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    He'll probably be there long after we've all gone too!

djanders likes this.