Could Fury have beaten prime Wladimir?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MarkusFlorez99, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Hopefully not. But what if he does?

Then what?

AJ would be the GOAT?

2. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    The mental side of the sport is extremely important. It plays a huge part in the outcome of a fight. But there’s no evidence that Wlad would have fought Tyson more aggressively in a rematch.

He told everybody that he was going to knock out David Haye.

dinovelvet likes this.
  3. Geo1122

Geo1122 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Even if he had a similar approach, he’d have had greater reflexes, speed, power, and energy, along with everything else that comes with being a much younger athlete.

It’s only because Wlad was so dominant that we forget that he was well past his best years.

4. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    How did Tyson run from a rematch?

Are you serious?

He wouldn’t even have had a chance of beating any version of Wlad who was with Manny?

Why’s that?

Even a prime version of Wlad was extremely cautious.

Even a prime version of Wlad never saw any fighter with the size, style, speed and supreme confidence of Fury.

Tyson psyched out Wlad during the build up to their fight.

In the ring, Wlad couldn’t let his hands go against Tyson.

A few years later, he almost knocked out Joshua.

Wlad didn’t fight cautiously against Tyson due to a severe physical decline.

Wlad fought cautiously because he’d never seen a fighter like Tyson before.

The reason he couldn’t let his hands go was due to a psychological issue, not a physical one.

There’s nothing to suggest that a prime version of Wlad would have fought Tyson in a different manner.

dinovelvet and Jackman65 like this.
  5. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    Fury could potentially beat anyone. Prime Ali, prime Vlad, prime Lennox, etc. I’m not saying he would but with his freakish size and freakish ring IQ, super-human punch resistance anything is possible. Of course, he could also lose to a no name because he hasn’t been the most consistent or focused fighter. He also has battled mental and substance issues over the years so he’s a bit of a wildcard. Fury in top form, is a true world class fighter. Unfortunately that’s not the guy who had shown up in every fight.

Loudon likes this.
  6. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    He was past his best. Of course he was. But he knocked Pulev out and almost knocked Joshua out.

Even in his prime, there’s evidence to suggest that he’d have approached the fight in the exact same manner.

Fighting a guy like Tyson was a huge shock to his system, after fighting the guys who he was used to fighting.

Being extremely cautious against Tyson had nothing to do with a physical decline.

It was a psychological one.

7. Geo1122

Geo1122 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Being past your prime doesn’t mean that you’re finished, as I pointed out, and as you’ve pointed out above, referencing the Joshua and Pulev fight. But let’s not be naive. Of course your physical decline is going to have an effect on how you engage in the ring. Reflexes alone will affect that. Speed is another. Testosterone levels (which will have been much higher as a younger man) will be another.

I understand your opinion, but honestly I think you’re reaching. Pac had the same approach at 39 as he did at 30. However, his physical disadvantages at 39 meant everything. He doesn’t find the openings that he once did. If he does find them he can’t capitalise on them like he once did etc etc.

What we know for a fact is that at 39 years of age a person has physically (and mentally to a degree) declined. For an athlete that decline is huge, as you’re competing against prime athletes.

It’s an easy and cheap route to take, saying that the victory was purely a psychological battle, as it completely negates logical argument.

Bokaj likes this.
  8. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Yes. The things Wlad requires to beat Fury are the things that go fastest with age. Reflexes, movement, speed, timing.

Bokaj and BCS8 like this.
  9. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    I’m not reaching at all. And I respect everything you have said. But Wlad let his hands go only in the very last moment of the fight. That is a psychological block. That’s nothing to do with a physical decline. That is a psychological issue. Because instead of having a shorter, less skilled fighter in front of him like he’d been used to for a decade, he suddenly had a huge guy, with great skills, speed, timing and confidence stood in front of him. A guy who his mentor respected. A guy who made him do uncharacteristic things in the build up.

If he could physically let his hands go in the 12th round, then he could physically have let them go in the other rounds.

If he could physically let his hands go and fight aggressively 2 years later against AJ, then he could physically have done it against Tyson.

Yet he couldn’t. And he was facing a fighter who’d been dropped by a B level CW and who had far less power than what he did.

He fought with a powerful AJ, but not against a lighter punching Tyson Fury.

The difference was the opponent.

The biggest issue for Wlad wasn’t a physical decline where he was shot and gun shy.

The biggest issues for Wlad, was Tyson’s size, style and confidence.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  10. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    No. The first fight was a stinker and Wlad was chomping for a rematch. I think prime Wlad doesn’t sleepwalk the entire fight and gets Fury at some point. It is a difficult matchup but wlad wins it

BCS8 likes this.
  11. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Different scenario. Wlad knew he lost because he didn't let his hands go. If i remember correctly he was training with one of mike tysons trainers in preparation for the Klitschko/Fury 2 fight.

He was going to take a hell of a lot more risks

BCS8 likes this.
  12. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    A different scenario but it showed his mindset.

He was going to punish Haye but then fought tentatively.

You have to ask why a boxer of his experience took 11 rounds of doing the exact same thing over and over before realising that he needed to change his tactics.

That should have been evident by the half way stage.

Wlad couldn’t change his tactics because they’d been ingrained in him.

I guess we’ll never know what would have happened in the rematch.

It’s a shame that it didn’t happen.

13. lordlosh

lordlosh Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 4, 2014
    There is plenty to suggest that a prime version of Wlad would KO Fury inside 5 rounds. Just a sole reason that prime Wlad means that he will be with his mentor - Manny Steward. A coach can make you or break you.
    I doubt that anyone care for the antics Fury said. This is completely b.s. They were saying same stuff for Connor Mcgregor but that myth was busted. Soon Fury myth will be busted, and he will become the next bum for most of you "fans" that are with the strong of the day.

Klitschko was severely declined. First his stamina obviously was not the same. You have hands i guess, you can check how many punches he throw average when he was at his prime with Steward, and how his number start decreasing last few years. In Fury fight, he probably was at 50%.

Klitschko with Banks and due to advanced age couldn`t even land properly on Jennings. His right hand and his strong stiff jab was gone even in the Pulev fight.
    The last time we really saw a prime Klitschko was in the Wach fight.
    And just because he almost KO Joshua doesn`t mean anything. And he was in better shape and way most motivated in the Joshua fight, and he still couldn`t pull the triger.
    Klitschko was a caution fighter, but he knows how to box and when he decide to go for the KO he was going for it.
    But in his last few fights, he just couldn`t pull the trigger, and this is just due to age. This is the pure sign and can be seen in many heavily declined fighters.
    Tho the guy was that good, he was heavily competitive even at his advance age.

And don`t make Fury some kind of a god. He didn`t school anyone, he was just throwing a few punches more, and landing just a bit more punches. He won by 3 rounds ... With Klitschko just throw 231 punches.
    With just speaks for what i have already state, he doesn`t have the stamina anylonger. And one of his assets was the heavy output he use, and controlling the fight with his jab.
    Just a quick comparison in the Wach fight, Klitschko throwed 700 punches in that fight.
    It was quite obvious he lost almost all of explosiveness, his feet speed, his hand speed was not the same, his stamina was shot(thats why he hugged so much lately) and with this stats going on decline, it will effect everything.

As far as how i know Klitschko at his prime would have win, its quite obvious. He was stronger, have way more power, way more speed, he was very quick on his feet, and has great timing and ring IQ. He also operate at way higher pace, and his punch output was twice as Fury best one.
    And the guy has one of the highest KO %, so saying he was super caution in all of his fights its just a stretch.

As far as the rematch goes, are you for real? Its well documented Fury run scared for it, not once, but twice.
    And we are not talking about some Loma - Lopez rematch maybe ducking, we are talking about signed contract.
    The guy was so scared he throw his titles away and go into oblivion.
    Should we even forget he was a PED user at that time, and even his W against Klitschko should have been changed in No contest.
    And as far as Joshua goes, just watch how Joshua will destroy Fury, and then i will laugh even harder at you.
    You probably was one of the guys(it was like 90% of the forum) that was suggestion Joshua is doing his lifetime mistake rematching straight away Ruiz and he have no chance against him.
    This is just another proof that two fights may be nothing alike. Everyone have bad nights.
    And after the fight people on here didn`t even give credit to Joshua for improvement he made and the schooling he gave to Ruiz.

Btw just a quick question for you. How would 40 years old Fury will do against a young motivated Klitschko ???
    You are comparing a young prime fighter, against a 40 years old, and saying that a prime Klitschko wouldn`t do the job, nice joke .

BCS8 likes this.
  14. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    I'm serious.

Loudon likes this.
  15. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Because David Haye is a powerful counterpuncher. And Wlad lost the first match being gunshy so him coming with a different gameplan to win makes sense. Different Scenario.

Like ive been saying, Fury on the back foot doesn't have any notable power for Wlad to actually be worried about. Fury at the time flicked his jabs and could barely turn his shots over Thats why Wlad got more agressive in round 12. And him saying he saw Furys weakness in round 12 makes me believe he was going to go into the rematch with that mentality to let his hands go like he did in round 12