Could Gerry Cooney’s Comeback Have Been Successful?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Charles White, May 9, 2022.

1. CANNONBALL

CANNONBALL Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2007

2. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Cooney was looking for shortcuts to the money .. he took the Foreman fight because he thought George was easy pickings and over rated himself .. he was not up to making the dedicated effort needed to have a shot ..

Pat M likes this.
  3. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    He was doomed after Holmes. Should have taken the money and run.

Flash24 and Man_Machine like this.
  4. Charles White

Charles White Chucker Full Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Anybody know what his purse was for the Foreman fight?

5. Charles White

Sep 13, 2008
    CANNONBALL, do you see no scenario where Cooney takes Morrison out early?

cross_trainer likes this.
  6. CANNONBALL

Mar 18, 2007
    of course its possible, after all Bentt managed it but i dont see it. Cooney may have got lucky 1-2 times outta 10 but if i had to put money on it it would be on Tommy. Younger, faster, at that point more explosive too. And the first legitimate world class puncher that Cooney has faced on the list of opponents i picked for him.
    Great thread this

cross_trainer and Charles White like this.
  7. CANNONBALL

Mar 18, 2007

8. Charles White

Sep 13, 2008
    CANNONBALL, thank you sir! Wow, 2 million to jump off the couch for one fight, that’s a great payday! I don’t blame Cooney for taking the fight haha.

CANNONBALL likes this.
  9. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    First define successful.

The best that he could hope for, was a big pay day in a losing effort.

Don't forget that poor old George Foreman was meant to be the safe option for him.

Perhaps he did the right thing, by just taking the big money fight, while it was on the table.

Could he have done better by knocking over a bunch of tomato cans, and creating a media circus?

Very hard to say.

10. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    I'm pretty sure Cooney regretted taking the fight. I recall him saying somewhere that he felt like he nearly died from that KO.

11. CANNONBALL

Mar 18, 2007
    i was in Fuengirola on holiday when i first heard this fight was happening - i was 15 at the time. Surprisingly, more than a few people actually thought Cooney had a chance v Foreman, whose comeback had been derided by the majority of the boxing press at the time even tho GF had scored a decent win against Bert Cooper a couple of fights previously. Cooper, at that time was still a credible opponent and had some good wins/performances left in him but was totally outgunned and outsized.
    I didnt think Cooney had much of a shot of beating Foreman, who entered the fight looking much more serious than he had during any of his previous comeback fights. The fact GF beat Cooney didnt really surprise me but the way he did it - great accuracy and power for a truly chilling highlight reel KO

12. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I'd given up on Cooney long before that but yes, very chilling walking left hook. Incredibly, he nearly landed flush with that on Holy, but the latter, though really stunned, stayed up!

cross_trainer likes this.
  13. Charles White

Sep 13, 2008
    I guess I mean, could he motivate himself enough to work his way through the ranks and beat some legitimate guys along the way, ultimately culminating in a shot at the title?

If so, which guys could he beat along the way and how, and how would he do if he were to get a title shot?

If he beats some legitimate guys at that age and after coming back from the addiction issues and the long layoff, eventually earning a shot at the title, win or lose, I would consider that a successful comeback.

janitor likes this.
  14. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    get him in there with Bert Cooper that's a fun fight

Charles White likes this.
  15. Charles White

Sep 13, 2008
    That would be a great shootout while it lasted!

Philly161 likes this.