Could Joe Louis beat Mike Tyson?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Showstopper97, Apr 7, 2022.

Do You Think Louis can Beat Tyson?

1. Yes

74 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. Don't Know

10 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Only if we are assuming a priori that Tom Cribb can invoke divine assistance, which is an atypical assumption to make in the context of combat sport historiography.

2. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    It isn't cause modern boxers are usually much more skilled.

ascended likes this.
  3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    What heavyweight or cruiserweight who is active today, would you consider to be more skilled than Joe Louis?

You literally couldn't have picked a worse example to try to make that argument.

4. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Wlad was good, but he was no Tom Cribb

cross_trainer likes this.
  5. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    By modern I meant the past 30-40 years, 80s onwards. And to answer your question: Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Byrd, Wlad, Usyk.
    Plus, it's not just about skill, that has never been enough to win. The SHWs of late have shown us that size matters a great deal.
    And the HW division in the only division where the skill level has dropped in the last decade or two, in the other divisions it has plateaud since the 90s and stayed at roughly a similar level, give or take a few.

ascended likes this.
  6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    You have not answered the question.

What heavyweight who is active today, is more skilled than Joe Louis?

The only fighter you have named who is active is Usky, so I will go with that example.

Usky might be argued to be Louis's peer technically, albeit their styles are so different that the comparison is difficult.

However he is not significantly bigger than Louis, and he is not in Louis's zip code as a puncher.

If Usky could hit like Louis, Joshua would probably have left the ring in a body bag.

In may ways he is proof that somebody like Louis could prosper today.

As for the giants of the division, how far would their skill have got them if they had been the size of Usky or Louis?

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  7. kjillomene2029

kjillomene2029 New Member banned Full Member

Mar 10, 2023
    Louis punched harder along with greater accuracy and precision. His defense was just as good (if not better) he didn't get hit very often and he was much more durable, he was better at 37 than Tyson was at 30. Louis had superior ring intelligence and positioning and was not one-dimensional like Tyson. Louis kayoes him inside 10 rounds. All due respect, I don't think you know what/who you're talking about.

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  8. Melankomas

Melankomas Prime Jeffries would demolish a grizzly in 2 Full Member

Dec 18, 2022
    Louis was not more durable than Tyson. I don't remember seeing Louis take as many clean punches as Mike did in the first 9 rounds of that Douglas fight. Yes, he was stopped eventually, but Douglas dished out quite the beating.

9. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Have a look at the full Schmeling fight. Max just flogs him with right hands all night before he finally succumbs. I remember someone claiming the count of right hands was 72.

Buster is a lot bigger than Schmeling but Max was considered a decent right hand hitter and came in at #55 on Rings Greatest puncher list.

I'm not saying or arguing which was the greater feat but i think the Schmeling fight is pretty noteworthy at the very least. Douglas did flog the absolute bejesus out of Tyson, admittedly.

10. kjillomene2029

Mar 10, 2023
    He got a head-whipping from Max Schmeling and lasted into the 12th round. He said in his autobiography that he didn't remember anything after the fist knockdown in the 4th round so he fought Schmeling for 8 rounds while being blacked-out. Btw, not getting hit clean is a good thing.

11. Melankomas

Dec 18, 2022
    But we're arguing durability, Louis took punches much less well than Tyson did. Schmeling was a terrific right hand puncher, and Louis proved his durability by eating it throughout their fight. But Mike ate punches from bigger men than Schmeling, and much harder puncher in Razor Ruddock. The Lewis fight was a beating on a comparable level to the Schmeling fight.

12. kjillomene2029

Mar 10, 2023
    Schmeling was a better puncher than Buster Douglas.
    Louis literally walked through Max Baer's punches and Baer is one of the great one-hitter-quitters in HW history... The only times he got knocked down by a punch was when he got caught by surprise or got clipped in an exchange (Braddock, Galento, Buddy Baer, Walcott) the only times he got knocked out was when he was succumbed to a beating. I don't think size matters as much as you think it does, once you get over 190+ pounds I really don't think its much of a factor (in my opinion) Rocky Marciano had one of the greatest right hands in boxing history and he was only 187lbs. Ruddock being heavier than Schmeling doesn't automatically make him a bigger puncher and Max Schmeling actually had a higher knockout percentage than he did. Louis lasted longer than Tyson did fighting at a high-level, he was the 3rd ranked Heavyweight in the world when he got destroyed and passed the torch to Marciano. Tyson got beat by Kevin McBride and Danny Williams...

13. Marvelous_Iron

Marvelous_Iron Active Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2022
    Cus didn't think Tyson could beat Louis

14. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Better question is could Joe Louis beat Bone crusher Smith

15. Melankomas

Dec 18, 2022
    Broken handed Max Baer, also no doubt is Ruddock a hard puncher than Schmeling regardless of weight or knockout percentage (which Ruddock has higher, but I don't value KO percentage very much)

Also, what does the fact that he got clipped in an exchange matter? He still got clipped. He wasn't clipped in an exchange when he was rocked by the 168 pound Billy Conn