Could Leonard have ambushed Monzon in his last fight ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    If Monzon s last fight had being against sugar Ray instead of Valdez ,could Leonard have got himself the victory ?
    Or is even a close to retiring Carlos above Ray ?

2. Russell

Russell VIP Member banned Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    No, I don't think Leonard could have done it over 15 against Monzon, last fight or not.

3. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    You can never rule Ray out, such was his ability, but I'd make him a clear underdog even against the post -shooting, arthritis-ridden 77 version of Carlos. Monzon might ship some early rounds feeling out the retreating, flurrying version of Leonard, no doubt having issues with his speed, but he'd settle into his groove sooner or later and slowly take over I think, probably having Ray holding on in the championship rounds. He didn't have the sometimes dubious ring generalship of Hagler or the questionable decision making and wouldn't let Ray get under his skin with his antics or showboating. Good fight though, probably pretty competitive in the early to mid going especially.

The Morlocks likes this.
  4. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Ray gets pummeled no matter what version of Monzon shows up.

Ray cant win from the outside, cant get inside, and cant out general Monzon.

Ray can make it interesting early with his athleticism, but Monzon starts to hammer on him soon after the 2nd round. Ray will have to box and go into survival mode, but he is not going to win this fight by boxing, as he is outmatched in every category except speed.

Ray keeps it close, but he will likely get KOed late as he realizes the fight is lost unless he himself gets a KO on Monzon. He will try for it near the end, and go out on his shield.

Monzon wins via Knockout.

hdog, Reinhardt, escudo and 2 others like this.
  5. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Yes and love it! AND I think Valdez of 77 sparks Ray too.

red cobra likes this.
  6. Combatesdeboxeo_

Combatesdeboxeo_ Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 19, 2016
    No.monzon beats leonard every single time.

red cobra and The Morlocks like this.
  7. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    i have to go with the majority - Monzon has significantly more than Hagler in his last fight

altho Sugar does better than Napoles

Dundee has the brains and Leonard the executioner but still not enough and loses a decision

timmers612 likes this.
  8. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Why couldn't Ray outpoint Monzon? He proved he could handle and get through the Hearns jab. His movement confused Hagler and got that win .... All you here is about is how Marvin was passed it .. No one mentions that Ray was coming off a 3 year lay-off, no tune -ups, that's incredibly hard to do considering he was moving up to middle for the first time, title fight, and facing Marvin... I'm taking SRL, better boxer, heart of a Lion

red cobra and Flash24 like this.
  9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
  10. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    and twice on Sunday

11. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    No, Leonard wouldn't have beaten Monzon, last fight or otherwise. Monzon was a ringwise, savvy, coldly purposeful ring general, ...far more than Hagler ever was. Monzon wouldn't have gotten confused, would have dealt with SRL's mind games far more effectively than Hagler did, and would have been the boos man in those late championship rounds 13, 14 and 15....and I have always maintained, throughout the years...and I haven't changed my views, that Monzon would have weathered Ray's best stuff, would have subtly and efficiently sapped Leonard's strength, punished him...at times maybe even have bored him to death by controlling the pace of the fight and eventually shutting down Ray's offense with his considerable strength and physical advantages and would stop Leonard in the 14th or 15th. No way in hell he would have beaten Monzon.

Fergy, hdog, The Morlocks and 2 others like this.
  12. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    I agree...Valdez catches and kills Leonard even quicker than Monzon would have.

The Morlocks and robert ungurean like this.
  13. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    He wouldn't have confused Monzon...that **** wouldn't have happened.

14. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Leonard would try to get some made concessions against Monzon like he did with Hagler , Don Lalonde and
    Hearns fight. Leonard started this contagious trend where modern fighters who jump up in weight and expect the
    fighter in higher division to fight at catch weight. Doesn't matter concessions or not Monzon on pts.

Fergy likes this.
  15. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    SRL could not have beaten MMH over 15 he was spent after 11

Clinton likes this.