Could Max Baer have taken the same amount of punches from M.Tyson as he did from Louis?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Nov 9, 2018.

1. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Yeah, I guess he broke Ruddocks ribs from the outside.....the first knock down against Spinks also came from the outside and last but not least when he catapulted Marvis Frazier into the orbit he also lunged in from a mile away....pure non sense that Mike cant fight on the inside..........inside ,outside or mid range Mike excelled in all three

As far as Baer is concerned, he is tailor made for Tyson......stiff wide winging tough guy whose only form of defense is his chin, Baer would never be in the fight and he has never ever seen 220 pounds of pure skilled lighting fast aggression come at him absolute determent to take his head off.

2. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I totally agree janitor regarding Joe could get em out early ,this is in no doubt. But Tyson in practically every fight came out like a man possessed. Very rarely did he feel his way in to a fight .He'd have Max hurt a lot faster ,,just my opinion ,than Louis. I also don't see Tyson going the distance with Farr or Godoy .I'd also be surprised to see Louis koin Berbick in 2 or Tubbs the same .He'd get there but take a little longer

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  3. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Smith didn't win a damn round. Firstly Lewis getting two gift decisions against Holyfield and now the Crusher neutralizing Tyson's power and beating him to the punch on the inside. You make it sound like he was somewhat competitive. The guy stunk the joint out.

4. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    By Jacko most certainly. Tyson was ordinary on the inside truth be told but mid range was his thing and he was a killer there. Tyson's trouble on the inside was that he mostly wait to separate and restart. He could be tied up a bit too easy by big men e.g. Lewis and he could be bullied a little in there by someone good enough e.g. Holyfield.

Pedro_El_Chef and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  5. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Oh and he'd smash Baer. Baer would not know what hit him. As for not being scared of Tyson there's plenty of literature out there as to how he was before the Louis fight.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  6. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Tasmanian devil>>>>>all other devils

7. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    A young Tyson would have slain Baer. Buddy or Max.

8. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I like Tyson as much as the next guy, but his infighting skills were horrible. Plenty of fighters such as Chuvalo, Quarry, Holyfield, etc. have all said that Tyson's major weakness are his poor infighting skills. After the Tillis fight Chuvalo said Tyson's poor infighting skills would be his undoing and that he needed to work on his inside positioning.

If Tyson had even somewhat decent infighting skills he would've stopped Tillis, who was on a major downslide when he fought Tyson and he wouldn't have gotten completely neutralized by James Douglas, who even at his best would've been just another opponent for Louis to walk over.

Pedro_El_Chef and swagdelfadeel like this.
  9. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    While it's certainly reasonable to bring up Tillis and Douglas, I think you're overstating the case quite a bit. If you'd dialed it back about 50% I would have "liked" this comment.

10. Jackomano

Nov 22, 2014
    It's very debatable that Smith didn't win a round. Smith even knocked Tyson down, but the ref didn't award Smith the knockdown. Also, Tyson's punch volume in the later rounds dropped due to his poor stamina. Tyson also got away with a lot of fouls and was rarely warned by the ref. Also, as the rounds progressed Tyson was walking into a lot of shots because unlike Frazier, who can get his left hook off even when in close Tyson needs the right amount of space to punch effectively.

Holyfield himself said neutralizing Tyson's and Tua's power was easy, since despite their power they were predictable fighters and were easy to beat on the inside.

Lewis in both Holyfield fights was missing a lot of punches. Holyfield was easily landing the cleaner punches more consistently. Holyfield at that time was merely a shell of what he was in his prime and the promoters knew he didn't have much left, so it made perfect sense to keep Lennox good with a draw even though Lennox clearly lost and award Lennox a decision in the rematch.

11. Jackomano

Nov 22, 2014
    It isn't just my opinion that Tyson is lacking on the inside, but many pros more experienced than Tyson himself have said as much.

George Chuvalo on Tyson
    And Tyson. He’s a tough kid. He walks right in. He’s that kind of a guy. He’s got lots of balls too. I like Tyson. I’d like to meet Tyson and show him a couple of things. I could help Mike.

His problem is he doesn’t know how to fight on the inside. If you take a look at his fight with Buster Mathis, Jr., he exposed that. There’s a chink in the armor. He’s too straight up on the inside. If he ever pulled his right leg back, his whole upper body would be at a forty five degree angle. He’s have his head on the other guy’s chest. He’d be safe. The other guy would have no room for any leverage and Mike would have all the leverage. His stance works against him on the inside. He’s easy to push back and he can’t fight when he’s going backwards. But Mike is a helluva an athlete. He’s very quick, got great reflexes and punches like a bazooka.

Holyfield discussing the limitations of Tua and Tyson
    This content is protected

12. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    The last thing that Louis learned, was to tighten up his punches, and improve his inside game.

It took him a couple of years after the Baer fight, to incorporate that into his skill set.

Perhaps that should have been the last part of Tyson's apprenticeship, but he didn't retain focus long enough to complete it!

13. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    No way would he have taken Tyson`s body shots though.
    This content is protected
    Tyson`s punches were far harder than Joe`s on this vid, he was a wicked body puncher and Baer never had to face that in his career.

14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Smith and Tillis were better at spoiling than Baer.

15. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Tyson`s defense was awesome on the way in.