Could prime Hagler have lasted the distance v Carnera?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Sep 23, 2022.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Not if primo decided to maul him with everything he had. Hagler would have no answer to that kind of force coming at him with guns blazing

2. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    No he couldn't. I say that with the firm knowledge that Hagler is my favorite boxer ever. There's no way

Pugguy likes this.
  3. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Andre the giant v Primo?

Pugguy likes this.
  4. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Could be a goer. Buster Douglas as guest referee.

Hard to pick a winner without knowing the preset choreography and preordained victor.

Both good guys, hard to cast a villain.

Maybe they should be a tag team versus two other fellow giants.

Lurch and Herman Munster perhaps or Chewbacca and Jaws from 007?

The possibilities are endless.

mark ant likes this.
  5. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    If Carnera is in shape and is actually trying to knock his opponent out with everything he has, then I doubt any middle weight is lasting 15.

6. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Hogan was the same size as Primo ;)
    This content is protected

Pugguy likes this.
  7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Roy Jones? James Toney?

8. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    They both fought at HW. If they just fought to survive, sure they might last 15.

9. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Oh geez, hilarious. :lol: Thanks for that.

The commentator said “The 7’5” Andre The Giant”. LOL. Andre was more like 6 to 7 inches less (at best) = 6’10” to 6’11”.

The Hulkster was about 6’5” to 6’6” (yep, like Primo) but apparently he stands about 6’3” these days - perhaps due to back issues, worn discs, spinal compression etc. but that’s still a fair loss of height.

Clint Eastwood was about 6’3” peak (never 6’4” as popularly claimed) - but at age 90+, he’s fallen below the 6 foot mark - but his posture is also heavily compromised.

10. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    All due respect but Andre was definitely over 7 feet tall. His passport from France, which I think was from when he first left the country when he was 20, had him at 7-2 … and he was probably still growing at this time.

I’d say that’s a pretty accurate height.

Here he is with Bobby Chacon, who we know was 5-5 1/2:

mark ant likes this.
  11. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I think Primo stops him, in part from wearing him down and out just leaning on him anytime they’re close.

It also takes a ton of energy to stay away from someone with that kind of size and reach advantage. Hagler could take a step back from a middleweight and know he’s out of range … he does that against someone Primo’s size and he’s still in range and probably more in range for power punches (the snap at full extension is where the most power is, what we always called ‘tail-end punches’).

And there’s not as much ring room with which to maneuver so the amount of energy it takes to stay out of corners and out of range takes a toll. And we have to presume Hagler is going to try to land some punches and actually fight rather than just run and duck and hide (otherwise isn’t this entire mental exercise even more worthless if we’re asking if he could duck outside the ropes and take a knee every time the guy got close and not actually try to fight him?).

At some point, Hagler is just slap worn out and then he starts getting hit with solid shots by a far larger man until they take their toll.

Not to mention, Marvin probably comes out to box orthodox the first four rounds and gives Primo a big early lead.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  12. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Well that’s a fair opinion, no qualms - there is, after all, a lot of contention re his true height.

However, I don’t now that the passport counts for much - was it sourced from an actual measurement or volunteered? I dunno.

I’ve judged Andre against other giants in the same height ball park (reasonably height verified) and people of known height otherwise - at least to me, he never scratched up above 7 feet.

Of course at a certain age we also get into Andre also allegedly having lost notable height.

Wilt Chamberlain was a very well verified/cross referenced 7’1” - there is a still photo of both he and Andre on the set of Conan The Barbarian and Wilt is clearly the taller of the two.

Here’s Andre with an Australian television host, Don Lane, back in 1978.

The host was an accurate 6’4” - I thinks it’s easier to judge Andre against other people who were in the tall zone themselves - judging him against short guys invites greater margins of error imo.

Saintpat likes this.
  13. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    WTF? Ruiz would have battered Carnera and Peter and Holy hit harder and faster than Carnera.

14. mark ant

May 4, 2017

Pugguy likes this.
  15. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Hogan was 6`5