Could prime Tyson handle Prime Foreman?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Chopinghook, Mar 15, 2017.

1. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    There's not a heavyweight in history that prime Tyson would not have at least a chance of beating and that includes prime Foreman. Your post is kinda heavy on the absolutes.

Sangria likes this.
  2. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

ABSOLUTELY

3. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    That Cus D'Amato quote is pure fiction, it never happened, fact and you cannot or will not be able to find a direct quote out os Cus's mouth........the only thing you will come up with is hear say.

BTW, I was present at Tyson sparring sessions and comeback Foreman...........the difference in speed and accuracy is mind boggling............and why do you think Ali called a prime Foreman the Mummy......because he was always slow and wide.

moneytheman12, Contro and Sangria like this.
  4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Ali labelled Foreman The Mummy pre fight as part of his mind games. After the fight he said he was surprised by his speed and ability to cut off the ring.

Tyson loses effectiveness if he can't come forward and if he can't fight backing up.

If he can't get Foreman moving back his only chance would be a quick stoppage imo.

I can't see a non advancing Tyson surviving until Foreman is tired so it's a shootout type of fight for mine.

Reinhardt likes this.
  5. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Foreman did have good hand speed, but they were launched way out of left field leaving him wide open for faster, shorter shots. He's there to be hit. Tyson's fluidity and technique would bring about Foreman's flaws.

One of the better heavyweight fantasy fights there is!

SluggerBrawler likes this.
  6. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    It's an open fight. I do think Tysons only chance is early.

Man_Machine likes this.
  7. JoffJoff

JoffJoff Regular Junkie Full Member

Jan 25, 2017
    What is the difference between a "fan" and a "fanboy"?
    As far as I can tell those who agree with the person throwing the pathetic "fanboy" slur are accepted as unbiased fans of the sport while those of a different opinion are derided as delirious, cheerleading bobbysoxers. :thinking:

Reading through this thread there are good arguments for both Foreman and Tyson, I remain unsure of how I see it going but I don't like the dismissive attitudes some people are taking to the views opposing their own. :nonono

8. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    one thing surely almost everyone must admit is Tyson will outland Foreman, faster hands better combination puncher more elusive. Lyle dropped foreman why cant tyson drop Foreman? Theres a real chance tyson could do it in one because foreman would probably try to swing his way out of it and against an elusive prime tyson that would be suicide. Foreman would have to pound tyson down for several rounds, while Tyson is swinging back. foreman even at his best wasnt a consistent 1 punch guy at the top level, his power was different. Given Tysons elusiveness Foreman would have to go to the body first to slow tyson down which would result in Foremans head being exposed while swings to the body. I have trouble seeing foreman win, especially because his type of power wasnt of the 1 punch type. A combination of young and old george I would favor to beat Tyson but neither version seperately

Sangria and SluggerBrawler like this.
  9. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    No.

IMO, Prime Tyson loses to the Foreman who destroyed Frazier (first time) and to the Liston who destroyed Patterson (either time).

10. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Tyson wasn't smaller than the prime Foreman.Their prime weight was about 220 lbs.The prime Foreman was
    longer but bigger ? No way.Frazier and Tyson were significantly different fighters.Tyson was much more explosive
    and faster than Frazier and their style wasn't total same.
    Plus Frazier was a very weak guy his "THE SUPERSTARS" weightlifting performance was pathetic he couldn't
    do better than an average Joe.
    Honorable mention: The prime Tyson hadn't eye problem at least.

Sangria likes this.
  11. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    All sports and athletics evolve. People just dont want to believe it that stronger muscles would be beneficial to also any combat sport or martial art,most have never really trained before and go by the old myth and false info thats was old school . The strongest /fastest guys ive met lifted weights. Frazier couldnt lift 160 over his head,by the time the 80's came around and that show was still on you had other athletes hoisting 300 pounds.

Had Frazier had Tyson's fast twitch,large muscle build into his 6'0 205 frame would have been about 210 /LEAN tissue and would be a better fighter bc of it .Fighters cheat themselves really when they don't train to get stronger muscles as possible bc the punches would be faster and stronger,not sure how ppl never saw this with so much info particualry now in modern era. I recall back in the late 80's ppl used to laugh at lifting weights for fighters how little did they actually know.

Foreman himself credits weight lifting to making his punches stronger in his come back,stating he too sneak into the weight room bc his coaches were against it.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  12. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Tyson hans to get close enough to outland foreman in the first place. His arms were shorter, he wasnt as tall, and he fought out a a bob and weave, crouchin style. Foreman didnt just let anyone get within punching range, especially short heavyweights.

Im not saying tyson never gets close, im saying it wont be easy. And hell need to get past nonstop looping hooks. Hell have to reset wverytome hes pushed back or nailed.

13. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Yes and at his prime he had better and faster footwork than anyone Foreman ever fought

14. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010

Precisely Lott hated King. Lott openly begged Tyson not to go back to King post prison.

It seems like Foreman and his cronies hard at work trying to spread rumours.

Obviously when Tyson and King called his bluff, he bottled it.

Theres two video evidences here for all to see.

1 - Tyson says hell fight Foreman before he dies of old age
    2- Foreman admitting he'd never fight Tyson if King was involved (which basically means never).

The footage is there for all to view.

Who cares about what some guy called Goodman supposedly heard and said.

Sangria likes this.
  15. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Asser talking out of his ass yet again, nowhere does Foreman say he'd never fight Tyson.

All he said was he was more scared of Don King and the dotted line than Tinkerbell Tyson......