Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by withoutwire, Jul 24, 2012.

1. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    The tests were done in 89 was tired last night. published I had a Bad experience with it, with a Fighter, and have been very careful ever since.

2. withoutwire

withoutwire Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Very interesting, will read up on this now. I remember reading before that it can boost brain power and intelligence as well. Here it is: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3145223.stm

I'm more or less on the limit for my division, but that's off-season, without cardio. My plan is gain maybe a kg of lean muscle in the next few months, then lose a kg of fat (well capable of this, know from experience) around the time my big fights come up.

A bad experience can be very off-putting. :good

3. Rolman

Rolman New Member Full Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Very intresting thread guys, I'm a newbie looking at my first match early 2013, I come from a bodybuilding background so creatine has always intrested me for boxing. A lot of food for thought here. Am trying to cut 15kgs (I haven't lifted for awhile!!) so I think the water retention would be a big problem for me. Thanks guys

4. Jdsm

Jdsm Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2010
    The water retention really is exaggerated, it's not a great deal.

5. Aplin

Aplin Nak Muay Full Member

Oct 6, 2008
    It is not.

You WILL retain water if you take Creatine Monohydrate. It will take about 7-14 days for your body to go back to normal.

As a fighter I experimented with this. I walk around about 75kg. I took creatine (diet EXACTLY the same) and my weight went up to 80kg in 6 weeks. I stopped taking creatine and was down to 76/76.5kg within about 10 days.

The alternative is Creatine Ethyl Ester. You will not retain the water due to the fact it isn't bonded with water, rather it is Monohydrate with ether attached (which the body better absorbs). However, there are studies that show the rate of strength and power increases is not quite as high as Monohydrate.

So, you have to weight it up: Monohydrate is likely to give you slightly better results (but you will look puffy whilst getting them) vs Ethyl Ester (which certainly boosts your creatine levels - but whether more or less than Monohydrate hasn't been conclusively proven).

6. withoutwire

Jun 30, 2010
    It seems to vary a lot from person to person. I didn't gain a pound on mono. Stayed exact same weight.

7. Aplin

Aplin Nak Muay Full Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I think you're right there :)

8. wayneflint

wayneflint Active Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2010
    If your worried about the first 10 seconds of every round then creatine may have some tiny benefits to boxing but after the initial 10 seconds its basically useless, more water to carry at the expense of other energy systems throughout the fight, increased body temperature, a better idea would be to eat balanced meals of carb protien etc to refill glycogen storage and to do some intervals and long distance running evry so often, dont worry about somthing that is always present in the body and that the body has no interest in stockpiling, dont need no quotes or studys withoutwire just learn your basic anat phys. This is your research not ours

9. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    This.

As a boxer you'd feel very little difference if any in terms of performance when taking creatine.

10. withoutwire

Jun 30, 2010
    lol

11. wayneflint

wayneflint Active Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Your welcome, and im happy to answer any other dumbass boxing related questions you might have, just dont laugh at your own ignorance and stupidity when people reply to your question with answers you dont understand, thats your fault. Not ours

12. withoutwire

Jun 30, 2010
  13. withoutwire

Jun 30, 2010
    I saw some very good benefits.

14. Jdsm

Jdsm Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Where did I say that you will not retain water? I just said that it is largely blown out of proportion. I have never known anybody to retain 11lbs of water after taking creatine tbh; it certainly doesn't make you look 'puffy', as the majority of the retention is going to be intra-cellular.

Francaux & Poortmans (1999) found 3.74lbs weight gain over 9 weeks (including a loading phase) and Kutz & Grunter (2003) saw around 1kg over 6 weeks I believe it was. Never saw such retention in the literature or anecdotally, although I do accept that retention will vary; it seems dose-dependant; Rawson et al last year saw no retention with intake of 2.5g I think it was.

I don't think there's any harm in seeing how you respond both performance-wise and in regards to weight fluctuations. If you see no scale-weight change but notice performance benefits in the gym - you may aswell take it, it's cheap and safe enough.

15. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    It's not just the first 10 seconds, due to the higher stores of creatine ATP is put back together faster, creatine helps with repeat sprints, repeat maximal efforts so therefore repeat bursts of punches. Creatine doesn't help with endurance performance probably because the ATP-PC system isn't used much and carrying around a bit of extra water will slow you down over a marathon. But boxing, amateur boxing anyway is only 9 minutes. It's more like repeat sprints rather than a marathon.
    Studies have shown it has no negative effects on body temperature and there's research that shows it helps prevent against concussions effects:

Dr. Kreider: "From a neurological perspective, there are good reasons athletes, especially those in contact sports, should be taking creatine. Data was presented this summer showing that kids with traumatic brain injury have better outcomes and survival rates when put on a course of creatine than kids who don't get creatine. It's amazing how much neuroprotection occurs when these kids get creatine.

Same with concussions. People who have higher creatine concentrations in the brain show a neuroprotective effect. In contact sports like football, it makes sense that they should be taking creatine.

You could actually make the case that not allowing football players to take creatine would put them at higher risk than if they did. Creatine would help with concussions, temperature regulation, and recovery."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17119520

http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20001102/creatine-may-limit-brain-damage