Cruiserweight and Heavyweight thread.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by houmzz, Aug 21, 2014.

1. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Wouldn't mind seeing a trilogy fight with Durodola. Probably wouldn't be good for eithers long term health though lol.

2. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Why not Arias v Wallin? Wouldn't be a difficult fight to make and both are struggling to find meaningful fights. Has the making of a stinker if it did get made but they both need to get moving with their careers.

3. BeantownAll

BeantownAll Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2018
    I don't see anything in it for Wallin (who troubled Tyson Fury and came within a whisker of fighting Dillain Whyte for big money) and I don't think Arias is all that high on DiBella's priority list.

4. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    No idea. Last I heard about Ajagba he was in Australia helping Joe Goodall prepare for Justis Huni.

5. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    Daniel DuBois defeated Trevor Bryan by KO at 1:58 of the 4th round of their fight for the "WBA Regular" title.

Bryan was never really in the fight and was badly staggered at the end of the 3rd round.

DuBois called out Dillian Whyte after the fight.

6. Manu Vatuvei

Manu Vatuvei Active Member Full Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Kudryashov was apparently 254lbs and didn’t even look particularly out of shape…goes to show the amount he must’ve been cutting to make cruiser

7. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    On a somewhat brighter note, the tail-end of the Bryan v. DuBois card featured two suprisingly-good contests following the Main Event.

At Cruiserweight, Johnnie Langston prevailed with a SD victory over Isaiah Thompson. I felt that Langston won most of the rounds, but the scores were all over the place. Rounds 8 and 10 were excellent. Thompson rocked Langston in Rd 8 only for Johnnie to score a knockdown later in the round. The final round was really outstanding from start to finish and was Thompson's best round of the fight. Langston moves to 12-3-0 with the victory while Thompson drops to 6-2-1. I would definitely recommend viewing footage of the fight if/when it becomes available.

The card closed out with a Heavyweight bout between preivous Trevor Bryan opponent Jonathan Guidry and prospect Decarree Scott This proved to be a very entertaining brawl between the two combatants who were obviously not in the very best of shape. Scott seemed to take the first four rounds with Guidry coming on stronger as the fight progressed. Scott ultimately seemed to gas as Rd 6 continued and Jonathan Guidry scored a nice KO to end things in Rd 7. I'm sure footage of at least the finish will be available before very long. Not the very best display of boxing skill...but just a wonderfully-entertaining scrap between two hungry opponents. Guidry moves to 18-1-2 with the win, while Scott drops to 7-1-0. What exactly Scott will do from here is unknown, though I hope he will try to rebuild from the loss and get himself into better shape, as he is quite a lot of fun to watch. Guidry has emerged from a career of club-level anonymity to become a useful journeyman spoiler.

Pepsi Dioxide and Inglis_1 like this.
  8. Inglis_1

Aug 4, 2018
    Maybe not for Wallin, but he's in the avoided category these days and Arias is still looking for a step up fight (he had a mini step up fight against Cassius Chaney). Either something like that or Arias should aim to fight at Bridgerweight as he's a small HW anyway.

9. Inglis_1

Aug 4, 2018
    Kem Ljungquist moves to 13-0 after a 2nd round KO victory over Paata Aduashvili.

10. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    Wallin is definitely a very skilled boxer who is more than capable of making an opponent look bad. He boxed Breazeale's ears off and probably would have stopped him if he had been any sort of puncher. Uneducated plodders have no real chance against him, whatever power they may be carrying. So - yes - definitely a fighter who is avoided!

Bridgerweight is a category that fighters will probably stay away from - unless their promoter places them there. And if they are going through the trouble of doing that - it's because they probably will, in fact, give them fithst that let them earn a living.

But - having reflected on it a little bit - I'm not sure that's a great career move for Arias because the handful of fighters currently in the divsion (Balski, Rozanski, Rivas, Babic) - are very serious punchers. Arias provides a nice "stylistic contrast" to those guys, but he really only scores on the inside (see his very recent fight against Green for evidence of that) - and I think he will get flattened against those guys when he does that. We'll see.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  11. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    Not much time to post today, but I wanted to suggest people keep an eye on Najee Lopez as a possible future serious Cruiserweight prospect.

He's a 22 year-old from Georgia who now boxes out of Atlana. He is boxing under the Puerto Rican flag (as an amateur he went back and forth between USA and PR) and is now 4-0 (4 KOs). He's a very rangey 6' 2" with some pop and a very nice looking job. I've always tended to regard the "Puerto Rican School" as favoring a high guard - but Lopez tends to keep his hands quite low.

Here is his most recent fight. He needs considerable development work, but he seems a promising young talent. His opponent was no spring chicken (40 year-old) - but had some decent survival skills, a very nice chin, and clearly came for a fight.

This content is protected

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    NullaLexInk likes this.
  12. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    Well here's footage from the last few seconds of the Guidry vs. Scott fight when Dacarree "Mack Truck" Scott finally runs ot of gas leading to his stoppage at the hands of Jonathan "The King" (Henry VIII?) Guidry. Like I said above - it was action-packed brawl!

This content is protected

Perkin Warbeck likes this.
  13. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    A few quick notes for the HW division.

Frank Sanchez has become yet another fighter to part ways with Eddie Reynoso. He is now working with Joe Goosen and wants a fight with Deontay Wilder.

Charles Martin is still continuing to work with Manny Robles and wants another big fight.

Jeremiah Milton was back in action over the weekend in Missouri and took a 6 round UD victory over opponent Carnell Porter Giles. Milton moves to 5-0 while Giles drops to 2-1. I don't know much about Carnell Porter Giles other than that I dimly recall him being active in the US amateur ranks a few years back and that he is 6' 2".

Perkin Warbeck and Pepsi Dioxide like this.
  14. fencik45

fencik45 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    How is Wallin avoided> Whyte ditched the fight to fight Fury for the title. Name one other fighter who is avoiding bum ass Wallin.

Koli55 likes this.
  15. Perkin Warbeck

Perkin Warbeck Boxing aficionado banned Full Member

Nov 4, 2017