Cruiserweight and Heavyweight thread.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by houmzz, Aug 21, 2014.

1. BeantownAll

BeantownAll Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2018
    I think Fury is just broadcasting signals to Usyk's promotion team that he has other big fights available to him.

kostya by ko and Pepsi Dioxide like this.
  2. Pepsi Dioxide

Pepsi Dioxide Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2020
    Will be interesting to see if any video pops up on this one

3. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    Three heavyweight fights took place on last night's "Broadway Boxing" card organized by Lou Di Bella promotions. All three went the scheduled distance, though none of the fights were close.

Belgian prospect Michael Pirotton improved to 7-0, 3 KOs, defeating Canada’s Sukhchann Sahota (2-1, 1 KO) by unanimous decision. Scores were 60-54, 60-54, and 59-55 for Pirotton. I don't know much about either fighter except to suggest that Pirotton must have some sort of tie-in with Lou Di Bella to have ventured so far from home.

Fernely Feliz Jr. improved to 4-0 (3 KOs) by dominating the overweight and overmatched Cameron Graham (2-2, 2 KOs) - with scores of 40-35 x3. Feliz Jr knocked down his corpulent opponent late in the 4th and final round, but Graham survived to see the final bell. Graham had already been stopped once - by an MMA fighter-turned boxer, no less - so it's not a compelling result for Feliz Jr.

Stephan Shaw (18-0, 13 KOs) used aging gatekeeper Rydell Booker (26-7-1) as a punching bag for 8 rounds, earning him a sweep of the cards (80-72 x3). But Shaw couldn't finish Booker and the latter didn't even appear to be hurt until near the end of the 7th round where Shaw busted open Rydell's nose. This tends to give credence to the opinion that Shaw lacks some power and that this could be a factor eventually, as his opposition improves.

I have read on the "nyfights" site that Di Bella intends to match Shaw with Italian prospect Guideo Vianello next and that that bout should take place early in 2023. This is not great news for Shaw, as Vianello poses at least some risk and isn't a well-recognized name outside of European boxing circles. And that recognition isn't all positive, as many began to doubt Vianello's potential after his lackluster (and perhaps lucky?) draw against Kingsley Ibbeh a couple years ago. Even if Shaw wins - it won't move the needle much in his favor.

kostya by ko and Pepsi Dioxide like this.
  4. fencik45

fencik45 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    Fury is just as likely to fight Charr or Takam next as he is to take a top opponent.

5. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Or Chisora for a fourth time, so he can be in the first ever heavyweight quadrilogy.

fencik45, vast and Pepsi Dioxide like this.
  6. kostya by ko

kostya by ko Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Cuban Danier Pero is apparently making his pro debut on December 2. How far can he go as a pro?

BeantownAll and Mendoza like this.
  7. kostya by ko

Feb 18, 2005
    Ps. I watched his Olympics fights and some others. Would like to have seen him against Jalolov or Huni if he had gone to Tokyo.

Mendoza likes this.
  8. fencik45

fencik45 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    Sad but true.

catchwtboxing likes this.
  9. Perkin Warbeck

Perkin Warbeck Boxing aficionado banned Full Member

Nov 4, 2017
  10. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    Interesting. Zhang is a big risk (for at least the front half of that fight) - but it seems this could be hugely lucrative, gate-wise, and fastrack him to another title shot.

11. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    And just as likely to run away and join the circus!

catchwtboxing and fencik45 like this.
  12. kostya by ko

Feb 18, 2005
    Just a follow up re Danier Pero's pending pro debut ... at somewhere called Outlaw Saloon in Cheyenne.

23 years old - 6.5 + long reach I think.

Amateur record below:

https://boxrec.com/en/box-am/863085

Has wins over Vykhryst, Larduet and Torrez Jr.

13. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Look for him in my q1 2023 top 15 heavy weight prospects. He should rate.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    Pepsi Dioxide and kostya by ko like this.
  14. BeantownAll

Mar 5, 2018
    Fabio Wardley moved to 15-0 by notching his 14th stoppage victory over Nathan Gorman (now 19-2) on the undercard of the Whyte v. Franklin bout.

Gorman outboxed Wardley with relative ease in the first round. He then gave a warning that his reputation as a featherfirst may not be fully-justified by hurting Wardley at the start of the 2nd round, possibly breaking Wardley's nose as he did so. Wardley, however, responded by landing huge right hands on Gorman that sent him tumbling to the canvas not once, but twice before the 2nd round ended. Wardley then ended the contest in the 3rd round when Groman was knocked down. While Gorman beat the count - his corner through in the towel immediately afterwards.

IMO - the replay of the third knockdown did not clearly indicate that Wardley's right hand struck Gorman. Seemed a bit fishy, but others might disagree.

15. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I did not watch the fight, so no dog in this fight, but a lot of people are talking about it all over the internet, and someone mentioned that Gorman kept looking back to his corner.

I don't know.

Pepsi Dioxide and BeantownAll like this.