Cuban boxers in 2017... how do you think the year will be for Cuban Boxing?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Champagne Popping, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Champagne Popping

Champagne Popping The TRUTH is the TRUTH banned Full Member

Dec 15, 2016
    I don't expect good things to be honest..

Rigondeaux, and Ortiz this is the make or break yeaar for both of them. They are both looking very old and chinny.. they are both their for the taking..I think they will both take losses...

Gamboa and Perez are very inactive..

Unfortunately for Sullivan Barrera who I heard looked good in his last fight.... he is about to be announced to face Artur Beterbiev.. that is a terrible match up for him.. he could get seriously hurt there.

What are your thoughts on the outlook for Cuban pro boxing in 2017 I'd like to know? :)

Todd498 likes this.
  2. Todd498

Todd498 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Louis Ortiz and Rigobdeaux will suffer their first loses. Especially since they'll most likely be forced to step up their competition

3. Enigmadanks

Enigmadanks Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 5, 2009
    The 3 top guys for me have been the same for the last 5 years- Rigo, Gamboa and Lara.

Yuriorkis should've never signed with 50 cent; that completely derailed a very promising career. He's a bit up there in age now and has been so inactive, it's a shame what's happened to him. He was easily the most exciting (and least technical) fighter out of the 3.

Lara and Rigo are essentially in the same boat. Both are terrific all around fighters, but they don't have a fanbase whatsoever. The only way they can finally get over the hump is if they secure a megafight with a top tier PPV draw and end up beating that opponent. I don't know who would be available like that at the lighter weights for Rigo to pair with, but in lara's case he can keep pursuing a rematch with Canelo or move up to MW and try to target the Canelo-Golovkin winner.

4. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
    Who do you guys reckon beating Rigondeaux from 126 and below?

5. Champagne Popping

Dec 15, 2016
    Oh yeah I forgot about Lara... lol he's an easy fighter to forget cause he's that boring and in a dead division.

I agree about Gamboa.. it's a shame man.. cause he's the only one that is exciting to watch. the lkes of lara and rigo are the reason promoters won't go anywhere near Cuban amateurs with a bargepole

6. Champagne Popping

Dec 15, 2016
    Anyone young hungry who can punch..

but saying that .. the mediocre Japanese guy nearly stopped him so with that Cuban glass chin anyone has a chance,

Todd498 likes this.
  7. Champagne Popping

Dec 15, 2016
    If Rigo ever develops the balls to move up to the Featherweight division full of killers, then it's good night Havana!

Todd498 likes this.
  8. theanatolian

May 2, 2015
    Rigo is a guy who fights down to level of his opposition, like the Saunders we saw against that Akavov guy. With Lomachenko being two weight classes above and Frampton openly admitting that he wanted no part of Rigo, I don't see anyone having the technique, athleticsm and ring IQ to take him down.

9. Todd498

Jun 13, 2011
    Look I think Rigo is a good boxer. I just don't think he is elite and his chin is a disaster waiting to happen.

10. theanatolian

May 2, 2015
    Fair enough. I just don't think you can accomplish his amateur and early pro successes without elite skills, much like Lomachenko. Part of the reason why Loma is the only guy whom I'd favour over Rigo.

11. Todd498

Jun 13, 2011
    That's a fair point. But I should say he was an elite amateur, not the best ever! But elite. But with his chin being kind of exposed already as a pro without the headgear on and the way he's looked so far against the quality of opposition he's faced... I don't believe he's an elite pro.

Loma was a better amateur and is a better pro imo.

12. Champagne Popping

Dec 15, 2016
    Goes without saying.
    Rigo had 12 losses as an amateur Lomachenko had just 1 that he avenged twice.
    Lomachenko has done far more in his 3 years as a pro than Rigo has done in nearly 8 years. There was talk a couple of years ago of Loma vs Rigo happening and it being a 50/50 fight , Lomachenko has flown past him since then.. left him for dust.

Todd498 likes this.