Curious as to how Joe Louis would survive the opening rounds vs a prime Mike Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Jan 19, 2019.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Tyson was an enourmously fast starter and would be very dangerous and Louis wasn't much of a mover. He stalked his opponents. What stratagies could Louis use to make it out of the storm of the first few rounds?

Sangria likes this.
  2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    His power and handspeed would make Tyson a little more careful I would think, these are two of te greatest combo punchers of all time, nobody is just rushing in.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Even for a finisher like Tyson, a first round knockout is a relatively unusual event.

Louis's strategy would almost certainly be to use Tyson's forward momentum against him, and brain him coming in.

4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Maybe he wouldn't?

5. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Louis has his own share of first round ko's as well.

6. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Indeed - and so, another question might be, would Tyson want to attempt a blitzkrieg approach on Louis, from the opening bell?

Reinhardt likes this.
  7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005

That is indeed the one million dollar question. Tyson does only know one way so i reckon it's a shoot out.

8. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    tyson would not try to blitz louis, too much respect.

9. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Could go either way.

The two most dangerous heavies ever locking horns. Blitzkrieg stuff!

10. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Louis would land crisp lefts and rights to Tyson if he tried to blitz in. Too much handspeed and accuracy, Tyson would be more cautious after

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  11. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Could be and I would tend to lean in that direction. Although, Tyson could be measured and systematic in his application of pressure. For example, against Tillis, with whom he seemed content to out-box, over a 10-round distance.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  12. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I reckon Tyson comes out of his corner like a bullet. Chances are Joe's getting hurt fast and early. If Braddock could drop him in the first surely Tyson got a lot more chance. After that it's up to the boxing Gods ..

TBI, Jel, Sangria and 3 others like this.
  13. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    He would go on the offensive on the tail end of Tyson’s flurries. Absorb and attack.

Fergy likes this.
  14. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    I´m searching for Video on YT with Tysons sitting in a TV show. The commentator asked him whether he would win against a couple of fighters of the past he would show on a picture.
    So he´s holding up Ali, and Tyson replies he wouldn´t beat him. He also showed a picture of George Foreman in his prime 70s and Tyson thinks: "That would be close."
    The third picture I remember was one of Joe Louis, shown by the commentator. Tyson immediately answers without any doubt: "I would win." (audience cheering)

TBI, Sangria, escudo and 2 others like this.
  15. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    To me Louis was still the best combination puncher ever at HW and as we all know had KO power in either hand so I cant envision Tyson going for an early KO. Too risky.

Reinhardt and Man_Machine like this.