Current World Heavyweight Champion claimants

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Boilermaker, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005

I felt Wlad gain the vacant heavyweight title before VK made his comeback.

It was not a great fight, but it did clean out the divsion, at the time the WBA was going though there entire mess.

2. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    For the record, here is the current lineal champions of all bodies(taken from a thread off the classic section and updated from Lennox lewis retirement.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5057871

I think that Malik Scott, Friday Ahunya and Chincangu may have possibly defended and lost their lineal titles, but if they did, the results are not on boxrec yet.

3. bodhi

bodhi Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Ah, didnĀ“t see this was an old thread brought up again. Ignore this posting!

4. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    Latest updates,
    Joseph Chincangu won tko 1 addewale abbey. He retains the Zimbabwe and Zambian championship. It is interesting, that Chincangu has already been outclassed and beaten by Wlad.

There are three upcoming lineal title fights:

Thomas Adamek v Estrada for the French title
    Wlad Klitchsko v Eddie Chambers will be a unification fight which will place us one step closer to having a single unified champion.
    Haye v Ruiz will be for all of Haye's lineal belts.

By my count there are currently 8 lineal champions, since the retirement of Lewis, and pretty soon there will only be 7. It looks to me like we should get an awful lot closer in the next year or so. Incidentally, if Chambers were able to beat Wlad, it would put us a hell of a lot closer, since a Chambers Vitali fight would probably be inevitable.

At the moment, we still have the following picture:

Vitali
    WBC, Australian, IBA, Brazillian and OPBF.
    Wlad
    Wba,IBF, WBO, IBO, IBU, NABF, NABA, EBU, Commonwealth, British, WBF, WBU, WBFoundation, EU, South American, Russian, Hungarian, Argentinian, Croation, Fijian, German titles Panamanian and Canadian titles.
    Haye: USBA, Mexican, IBC and World Cruiserweight
    Friday Ahunya (NZ title), Malik Scott (Nigerian) and Joseph Chincangu(Zimbabwe and Zambia), Eddie Chambers (Mid West and Mid Atlantic), Oleg Platov (Pabo and South African),

5. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    Wow, I bet not many people realised that the upcoming Tua vs Ahunya fight is for the New Zealand lineal championship! IF Tua wins, he will join Wladimer Klitchsko as the only Person to hold their own nations lineal title.

6. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    Some interesting developments.

Wlad has further solidified and unified his claims. He now has added the Midwest and Mid Atlantic titles to his bow. I count that as 25 lineal titles.

Vitali stays in 2nd place with his 5 lineal titles.

Haye has successfully defended his 4 lineal titles by stopping Ruiz, with rumours that he may look to unify with the new French Champion Thomas Adamek, who won the title from Jason Estrada in dominant fashion.

It was good to see David Tua take his own national title from Friday Ahunya. Along with Wlad, he is the only person to actually hold their own country's lineal title.

Oleg Platov will defend his title against the up and coming Kubrat Pulev who is currently undefeated. might be a world title blockbuster.

Sadly, it looks like the Nigerian champion Malik Scott will continue to sit on his title. It has now been nearly 18 months since his last fight. I wonder if he will ever unify it.

There are now just 8 fighters who have a claim to any lineal title that was in existence when Lennox Lewis retired from the sport. Plus, it seems that this list will be reduced by at least one or two in the upcoming 6 months or so. We are slowly but surely getting closer to an undisputed champion.

Wlad:
    Wba,IBF, WBO, IBO, IBU, NABF, NABA, EBU, Commonwealth, British, WBF, WBU, WBFoundation, EU, South American, Russian, Hungarian, Argentinian, Croation, Fijian, German, Mid West and Mid Atlantic titles, Panamanian and Canadian titles.

Vitali: WBC, Australian, IBA, Brazillian and OPBF.
    Oleg Platov: Pabo and South African,
    Joseph chincangu: Zimbabwe and Zambia
    Adamek: French
    David Tua: NZ
    Malik Scott: Nigeria

7. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    Wlad:
    Wba,IBF, WBO, IBO, IBU, NABF, NABA, EBU, Commonwealth, British, WBF, WBU, WBFoundation, EU, South American, Russian, Hungarian, Argentinian, Croation, Fijian, German, Mid West and Mid Atlantic titles, Panamanian and Canadian titles.

Vitali: WBC, Australian, IBA, Brazillian and OPBF.
    Oleg Platov: Pabo and South African,
    Joseph chincangu: Zimbabwe and Zambia
    Adamek: French
    David Tua: NZ
    Malik Scott: Nigeria

David Tua has just held on to the NZ lineal title, by the skin of his teeth!

There are no other changes whatsoever to the titles, with Wlad, Vitali, Haye Platov and Adamek all successfully defending. Malik Scott and Joseph Chincangu continue to sit on their title.

There are still 8 title claimants, but it seems that some further unification bouts might be on the horizon in the next 6 months or so.

8. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Sullivan, Corbett, Fitzsimmons, Jeffries (retired, but came back and faced Johnson), Johnson, Willard, Dempsey, Tunney (retired and never came back).

Tunney is still the HW Champ! Holyfield is still the CW Champ! M. Spinks is still the LHW Champ! lol

9. Axe

Axe Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Adamek the French champion? I am confused...

10. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    On that logic Michael Spinks was never Light Heavyweight Champion...

11. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    Two unifications will happen soon, and both are the most publicised fights. Haye vs Klichsko and Adamek vs Klitchsko. (unless there are draws) This will move our 8 champions down to 6 and arguably 4, since Malik Scott and Chincangu seem retired. And Oleg Platov hasnt fought in ages, so perhaps it is 3.

12. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    Adamek,

lennox Lewis retired in 21 June 2003. On 20 December 2003 Steve Herelius Kod Thierry Guezouli to win the French Title (which was vacant). He then made an amazing 10 Successful defences, before losing in 2007 to Albert Sosnowski on 8 June 2007. After 3 Defences, Albert Sosnowski lost his title to Zuri Lawrence. Zuri lost his first chance to Jason Estrada on 2 September 2009. Estrada, of course, Lost his first defence of the title to Thomas Adamek. who is going on to defend his title 4 times, and is now attempting to unify.

Of course, i can see why it can be confusing, because it is arguable that the Official French champion at the time of Lennox' retirement was actually Cyril Ceror , in which case, the lineage is actually traced to the exciting youngster Vyacheslav Glazkov. This is I suppose another interpretation, and perhaps a valid one, I went with the first official defences of the recognised titles after Lennox retired. Perhaps we should keep an eye on Glaxkov.

13. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Wow great work! This must have taken some time!

14. frankenfrank

frankenfrank Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Vitali is the man !
    After he retires it may be Wladimir.

15. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004