Current World Heavyweight Champion claimants

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Boilermaker, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004

2. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    Wlad:
    Wba,IBF, WBO, IBO, IBU, NABF, NABA, EBU, Commonwealth, British, WBF, WBU, WBFoundation, EU, South American, Russian, Hungarian, Argentinian, Croation, Fijian, German, Mid West and Mid Atlantic titles, Panamanian Canadian titles, USBA, Mexican, IBC and World Cruiserweight

Vitali: WBC, Australian, IBA, Brazillian and OPBF, French.

Oleg Platov: Pabo and South African,
    Joseph chincangu: Zimbabwe and Zambia
    Danny Green: NZ
    Malik Scott: Nigeria

Some interesting changes recently.

Danny Green has taken the official New Zealand heavyweight Lineal title off of Shane Cameron. Also interesting that the Nigerian champion has become active again. He might be a chance for a unification fight With Wlad or Vitali! Oleg Platov is still actively defending his titles. Even Joseph Chincangu is active again.

Realistically, Wlad has asserted enough of a dominance under the lineal concept to be considered lineal, but it will be interesting to see if all roads do actually lead to the one (or even two paths) or if the brothers will retire first. I tend to think that Chincangu the Klitchskos will win the crown of all but the New Zealand, Zimbabwe and Zambian titles, before they retire.

3. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Green: Frankly, that's just an astonishing take on his effort. I don't even know how you took that away from the fight. I saw him trying extremely hard. Just failing. I think a lot of viewers have difficulty distinguishing between failure and apathy.

Yellow: Yes, four months. Quite exactly some, you might say.

4. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    Wlad:
    Wba,IBF, WBO, IBO, IBU, NABF, NABA, EBU, Commonwealth, British, WBF, WBU, WBFoundation, EU, South American, Russian, Hungarian, Argentinian, Croation, Fijian, German, Mid West and Mid Atlantic titles, Panamanian Canadian titles, USBA, Mexican, IBC and World Cruiserweight

Derek Chisora: Nigeria

Huge News, we have a new Nigerian lineal Heavyweight champion as Malik Scott is KOd!

Interestingly, The Klitchsko's, between them now hold all bar two of the titles taht were in existence when Lennox Lewis retired and took away our unified world champion. And one fighter, Danny Green, is not a heavyweight and has probably retired.

5. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    6 months in and things are pretty similar.

Oleg Platov is sitting on his lineal championships, as is Danny Green. Vitali seems to have remained where he is also.

Derek Chisora is the most active of the lineal champions. He is preparing for his 4th lineal title defence against Tyson Fury. Joseph Chincangu is lining up another defence of his titles, 2 years after he last fought.

One would expect that the Nigerian Title has a decent chance of being uinified with the others, considering the current title picture. Alex Leapai might really throw the cat amongst the pidgeons. A Green Leapai fight wouldnt be totally beyond the realms of possibility from a money making point of view and a fight against the winner of the Scheduled Chisora Fury fight would actually make sense for Leapai if he won, as would Vitali Leapai.

AS discussed before, Wlad and Vitali are realistically the only two guys with sensible lineal claims, with Wlad really having easily the best claim. Between them they obviously hold the vast majority of titles. The only title holders left are either inactive (and probably retired never to fight again) in the case of Platov and Green. Or have already been knocked out by a klitchsko.

Wlad:

Derek Chisora: Nigeria

6. boxershorts99

boxershorts99 Integrity Enforcement Full Member

Mar 13, 2014
    IMO men, we are in a time where the heavyweight division is nothing short of being a joke . We could probably have an outstanding era of heavyweight boxers but whomever those men are , the NFL seemed more appealing to them .

7. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    With Vitali's retirement (good luck with the new career, you are going to need it), for the first time since Lewis' retirement we are on the verge of a generally recognized World Heavyweight Champion.

Wlad's claim is that strong now that a fight against the next highest generally recognized contender although desirable, is not need for Wlad or his opponent to claim title in Wlad's next fight.

8. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004

There are no changes to this list, but it is worth pointing out that outside of Wlad, only Chincangu and Chisora are currently active fighters. Platov has a knee injury and i understand will likely retire. It would be a surprise to see Vitali or Green return. Plus, Chincangu, who must be close to retirement himself, has already lost to Wlad and been outclassed. It really doesnt get much more proven for Wlad.

9. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    Well Tyson Fury has become the new Nigerian Champion. Interestingly, he and Wlad are the only two active champions remaining since the retirement of Lennox Lewis. If these two are eventually matched, it could be the greatest unification fight we have seen.

Wlad:

Last fight: September 2012

Tyson Fury: Nigeria
    Oleg Platov: Pabo and South African, - Last fight November 2012
    Joseph chincangu: Zimbabwe and Zambia - Last fight October 2012.
    Danny Green: NZ - Last Fight November 2012

10. Jear

Jear Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Danny Green doesnt have the NZ Belt. He fought Cameron at Cruiserweight. Minto beat Cameron at Heavy and then lost to Parker

11. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    Jear, with this thread, i started with the official Champion, on the day that Lennox Lewis (the last recognised lineal champion) had his last fight as recognised by each different country and/or organisation listed (or at least whoever boxrec listed as their champion at the time). I then simply traced the lineage to where it was (no political stripping for any reason allowed). Under these rules Danny Green ended up with the NZ Belt. I cant remember if Tua held the title when Lewis retired, or if he won it from others (i think he did). But without looking up the NZ title in recent years went from Tua to Barett to Cameron to Green. There can be no argument about this, even though obviously he is not and never has been the NZ Champion.

12. Jear

Jear Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 27, 2004
    I see what you are saying and think this is a great thread, I do question how lineage of a belt can travel when the fight in question is sanctioned in a different weight class? Surely you wouldnt suggest Ali won Fosters LHW title when they fought? Why should going down in weight be held to a different ruleset to climbing in weight?
    Cameron had to weigh in at Cruiserweight. It was not a catchweight fight.

13. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    Actually, i see the point that you were making. I think the New Zealand Lineal championship has been officially Split! Meaning that there is now a New Zealand All Comers (or all weights) and a new Zealand Heavyweights lineal title.

Some action coming up on this thread in the coming months, Wlad, Tyson Fury and Danny Green are all expected to fight soon.

14. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I am a big believer that the Lineal Title is largely horse****.

15. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    bump. Where in the hell is this thread?

and who moved it?