Curtis Cokes - boxing's most underrated WW champion?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Jel, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    When great welterweights are discussed, Curtis Cokes rarely gets a mention. Just wondering why that is.

He was world champion for over 2 and half years between 1966 and 1969, beat Luis Rodriguez by TKO to get his title shot and defended the title he won four times before meeting Jose Napoles.

He had a pleasing style and seemed to have good boxing fundamentals, he just had the misfortune of running into a greater fighter in Napoles.

Anyone feel he warrants a bit more attention?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  2. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Yep. He's really overshadowed by that loss to Napoles.

3. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    He's underrated, alright. Not sure if he's THE most underrated Welter, but you're on the money when you say he deserves more recognition than he gets.

By 1961, he'd proved he was at least in the same ballpark as Rodriguez by splitting those first two fights with him, and he'd beaten Gonzalez a few times over - yet both of them got title shots at 147 lb before him over the coming years. I guess you could argue that both Rodriguez and Gonzalez were a little more consistent than Cokes outside of those fights while they were all waiting for their shots. Cokes probably took his eye off the ball in dropping a couple of decisions here and there while he waited for his big break, which might have added to his disillusion which saw him temporarily retire 1964-65. Also, Griffith generally defended against excellent competition during his reigns at Welter, so it's hard to accuse him of avoiding Cokes...Nevertheless, Cokes is the only seriously quality Welter missing from Griffith's title record, and it would have been interesting to see how that one went down. I believe Gil Clancy, while obviously more closely linked with Griffith, also seconded Cokes a few times - perhaps this was part of the reason why a match between them never got made?

Let's not forget, Cokes beat both Rodriguez and Gonzalez again once he'd finally made it to title eliminators / shots, so safe to say that he could / would have been champion a little earlier if he'd had a bit more luck.

As you guys have said - that nature of his losses to Napoles, particularly the first one when he was defending champion, harm his standing a little. But they shouldn't. A 1969 Napoles was just about as close to perfection as the Welterweight division has ever seen, along with the two Sugar Rays in their absolute primes. But even I have to admit that it was only after seeing Napoles' absolute masterclass against Cokes that I made a real effort to delve properly in to Cokes' record and watch a bit more film of him. Before that, I'd just had him pegged as a good, solid Welter operator who would be a decent gatekeeper in any era. But as I now know, he was much better than that.

Known mostly for his losses, which is a shame. Cracking fighter.

ETM, ChrisJS, scartissue and 6 others like this.
  4. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Great Post.

Learning more about Cokes makes Napoles wins over him even more impressive IMO.

Jel and Clinton like this.
  5. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Great stuff, Chris.

I did the same as you - I overlooked him and thought of him as more of a belt holder between the likes of Griffith and Napoles, both all-time great welterweight champions.

roughdiamond and 88Chris05 like this.
  6. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Maybe the only man from Dallas I don’t hate. Definitely under appreciated today.

This content is protected

ETM, Jel and haNZAgod like this.
  7. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
  8. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Highlights

Thrilling fight with Kitten Hayward

TKO over Luddick

9. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I didn’t get to see Hayward in his prime, just a couple of times in the mid 70’s. One of my pop pops favorites though. I would have loved to see him in his prime years.

ETM and roughdiamond like this.
  10. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Cokes was superb. Modernists hate the phrase but he really was "old school". Simply watch the man fight. He was a superb technician and brilliant counter puncher. Even in exchanges he was hard to hit and how well did he time those counters? On top of this he had heaps of right hand power and was a very very dedicated trainer. He'd miss the odd punch on purpose to position a guys head where he wanted it and was excellent at feinting the jab. He knew boxing inside out and actually wrote a renowned book on it.

I remember in the early 80's he was doing a lot of work with high level amateurs. He trained Reggie Johnson for a huge chunk of his early career too.

Possibly most important is that he was training one of ESB's favorites in Ike Ibeabuchi!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    juppity, roughdiamond, Jel and 2 others like this.
  11. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Damn! Looks like a sweet boxer. Like his style. Cokes stands in the pocket slips and counters. he looks like a guy that would Master today's welterweight class and that's coming from someone that has a lot of respect for Spence and these other boxers today.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  12. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    I feel you on Dallas. That must be a Pennsylvania thing.

13. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Legend has it he was a hell of a puncher a bomber!

14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Totally agree. Cokes really knew how to box. He wrote a book on it. In interviews he has stated that most guys today just fight, they don't box and have PHD's in boxing. I agree. Look at him turning left then turning right avoiding punches, countering etc. The guy can flat out box.

ETM likes this.
  15. Tippy

Tippy Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Cokes was really fun to watch. Perfectly drilled boxing fundamentals, with some of the straightest and most accurate punching you'll see. He caught guys in anticipation of where they would be so well.

Highlight I made of him set to James Brown.

juppity and roughdiamond like this.