Cyclone and Josh Taylor

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by DavidJames, Aug 23, 2017.

1. DavidJames

DavidJames Active Member Full Member

Mar 15, 2016
    What does everyone think will happen following Frampton leaving? Will Taylor be there new star and they will focus on Scotland or will he leave too?

2. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    If Cyclone can somehow turn their finances around they will need to build around Taylor. I know Billy has a good relationship with the McGuigabs so they could no doubt get Brophy Easton Simmons and co on bills to support Josh.

3. Matt Petley

Matt Petley Active Member Full Member

May 19, 2017
    if Taylor has any brain cells he will leave, they have a stable of like 3 fighters and frampton was previously the main man keeping the business alive but we've seen that doesn't work, Cylone can only put on 1 or 2 shows a year with a stable so bleak and with the money problems they seem to have. Taylor should sign with whoever frampton signs with and they can fight on the same bills.

Jackfazz, Odins beard and DON1 like this.
  4. DavidJames

Mar 15, 2016
    Hope they do and get channel 5 up here regularly. I am sure Billy only manages easton and the rest are MTK? But they put simmons on the last one up here.
    Dont see matchroom here soon so hopefully they do come up

5. DavidJames

Mar 15, 2016
    or maybe he becomes the new star so gets even better chances? but if what ppl say about the ££ situation is true I would imagine he might go to matchroom or follow Frampton

6. Matt Petley

May 19, 2017
    it clearly doesn't work having 1 fighter as the main man, first of all if he loses he may not make as much money in future fights and will effect the business. Also If he is the main fighter his money will be basically paying the mcguigan's wages the way frampton did and that clearly doesn't work. You look at matchroom and they have dozens of fighters that contribute to matchroom and the staff wages etc, with a stable of like 3 or 4 little known fighters like cyclone, there is no way they can make it work.

7. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    I agree it's awkward to say the least about one started bit ideal. Problem is on channel 5 type model it's not suitable for 90% or works champions as not enough money in it. It would be ideal right now for Taylor Brophy etc leading the way, people fighting at British/Euro type levels.

8. Matt Petley

May 19, 2017
    yes it would be ideal for people like taylor but without any big names cyclone promotions cant keep going without losing money, he should maybe sign with david haye's ringstar or try and get on itv with eubank.

9. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    Yes that's the issue. I think if you got the guys I mentioned in all on same bill in good fights you could get 5-6000 fans at a event regular but ideally would need the same again elsewhere too. Best would have been for them to revert to just being managers but with position MTK now have and with the damage of dropping people of their promotional agreement would do to the McGuigans I think while they would have been able to sign up loads of fighters to management deals previously, I now think they would struggle.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  10. DON1

DON1 ICEMAN Full Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Taylor needs to leave. Keep McGuigan as his manager but he needs another promoter.

11. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Go with frampton or go to matchroom

12. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    My God is Josh Taylor a massive talent.

He needs to get with the biggest promoters and trainers. He will be a world champion one day

thistle likes this.
  13. billy nelson

billy nelson the fighting scots gym Full Member

Jan 9, 2009
    hehas one of the best coaches in the UK and is on terrestrial tv ch5, there viewing figures are massive for there shows so he's getting exposure

14. DavidJames

Mar 15, 2016
    not sure many will agree about shanes coaching credentials Billy - been handed top quality fighters due to his dad / their company and has not developed any fighters himself

but so far so good with taylor so I dont agree he needs to be changing trainer but it would seem he would be better with matchroom or someone else to get him the really big fights

15. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Eddie could sort Taylor some decent fights and big paydays with that style of his, I wouldlnt be wasting time

Boxings a hard and short road, I'd be getting with the best I could ASAP

DavidJames likes this.