cyclone promotions (actual promoting)

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by boxingcrazy, Dec 3, 2017.

1. boxingcrazy

boxingcrazy Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 3, 2010
    now before i start this is not a thread to knock cyclone promotions, they are doing a great job with josh taylor and the east coast of scotland. they are bringing more shows to edinburgh and having lee mcgregor and jason easton on the cards here then i can see them doing very well here.

but last night they must have blown lots of money, at no point was the hall full and imo they were looking for josh to face the winner of yigit vs hughes fight. with yigit looking to move down that fight won't happen so it looks like the whole show was a waste of time for them as a promotional company. very little tickets looked to be sold and no end product for their fighters (except chantelle cameron who picked up ibo title)

what was the main problem for the show? why didn't they sell tickets? card was actually decent so does it come down to how they promote their shows/fighters? It kind of reminded me of when mick hennessy had degale/john murrray etc in leisure centres.

i hope the show last night didn't hurt them too much financially because its good having boxing on c5 and spike. but what is everyones thoughts? do they need to promote more or concentrate on shows in places like edinburgh/glasgow where they seem to be selling them out?

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  2. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    I don't think they lost a ton of money last night- it was a small venue which sadly cleared out after the Cameron fight.

Yigit/Hughes was an odd choice full stop- a Swedish fighter with no real British fan base fighting a guy with admittedly a fantastic backstory but little chance of causing an upset. Yigit moving down capped off a bad main event but the undercard and the Cameron fight was decent enough.

Not the greatest card but Channel 5 wouldn't have expected massive numbers anyway- the network has backed boxing for many years now and have expanded their coverage so they aren't going anywhere.

I'd like to see Cyclone running shows in Ireland as well as Scotland going forward with perhaps the odd York Hall show in there.

lencoreastside and BEATDOWNZ like this.
  3. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    The place emptied after the smyle fight most of the punters must have been there for that..felt a bit sorry for Cameron because she's actually quite good to watch. What was the capacity in that venue?looked tiny. Not to fussed about Taylor v yigit now to be fair it's a step down in quality from Vazquez be interesting to see who they line up next..I think Figueroa would be a great shout if he's still at 140 think Taylor would smoke him in a entertaining fight!

4. Sphillips

Sphillips Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2017
    It was a small hall bill with a main event that didn't sell tickets.
    I'll bet most seats were sold last night it's just as always a lot left after their man fought.

5. DavidJames

DavidJames Active Member Full Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Sure they got good TV money and they wont have lost

They dont seem the type to want to lose money! FW has worked through hard times to get back to a big tv platform but I dont see the Mcguigans investing in the same way - so sure the event worked out ok financially for them.

When is Taylor out again?

6. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Cyclome should of put the best supported fight on last here. It didnt look good that the place was empty for the last 2 fights

7. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Certainly looked empty on TV by the main event. Shame really, as on paper that was an alright matchup. Yigit came out to some GOAT entrance music

8. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    The TV money isn't massive- it's why we rarely see world title fights on terrestrial TV. Sky pay on average four times as much in rights fees hence why they have more headroom.

I doubt Cyclone paid much for the venue- they may have actually broken even on the gate at least.

The production was good I thought with the screen over the entrance looking great.

I think Cyclone are doing fine running six to eight cards a year with full undercards being shown on TV. Any more may stretch them.

9. boxingcrazy

boxingcrazy Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 3, 2010
    I just think they were 100% sure they would get either Yigit or Hughes vs Taylor for the European next and they were willing take the chance but with stories (just rumours I know) that they have lost money the last couple of years i think it is silly to be banking on a situation that might not happen.