Dan Rafael has been let go by ESPN

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Perkin Warbeck, Apr 13, 2020.

1. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Wouldn’t say I liked him personally but not nice to see anyone lose their job.

2. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Hes had one too many downright atrocious scorecards for me to not be somewhat glad hes out. Scores that bad are only one of two things imo, corruption or ineptitude... and regardless of which imo a scorer that bad shouldnt be at tge forefront of espna boxing division.

Just imo

northpaw, boxfap, vast and 7 others like this.
  3. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    This, this I agree with.

4. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    I like Dan. He's my favorite boxing journalist. He's always reporting facts instead of hearsay or speculation. He is always breaking stories other people didn't know. He's pretty objective and informative. A real no frills kind of reporter who wasn't always injecting himself into the story. He's reliable and much better than ESPN's other contributors.

vast likes this.
  5. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Sure, but look who they've kept. Stephen A. Smith? Remember how bad their p4p lists always are. I think they had Deontay Wilder at the top of them for years and they just put Tyson Fury in. It's embarrassing how bad ESPN's coverage of boxing has been. Dan was easily the best of them. (Just checked Steve Kim is the best of them and Nigel Collins is the worst.)

6. Bigdog2002

Bigdog2002 Active Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Dazn will pick him up to add another dimension to their media!

POTUS likes this.
  7. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Dan was "in the know" because of his connections.

He was terrible at providing analysis or insight.

IntentionalButt, velagod and POTUS like this.
  8. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    And he turned into quite the arrogant "lets talk sports for 15 seconds out of the minute" host.

Used to love Scott but the moment they branded SC around him, he became symbolic of the problem. We don't care about your personality, Scott, sorry.

NoNeck and tinman like this.
  9. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    This content is protected

Not sure what Portly Dan was watching but I too saw an ugly sloppy fight in which Smith spent the entire duration of it pursuing a petrified Hart who was running like a cheetah all night and then transformed into an octopus everytime Smith managed to track his ass down and get himself into punching range.

Holler likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    At first I thought man that really sucks. This guy lost his job, I feel bad for him. But then I realized to myself those were the wrong feelings to have. He's a thin skinned fatass who rode the gravy train for years on end.

There are a few people on this forum who cover the sport more thoroughly, passionately and accurately than Dan does and they do it for free. But because they don't have the formal education, journalism experience and most importantly the business connections they are sitting here on this site posting and not making a dime.

So doesn't bother me at all.

POTUS likes this.
  11. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Both posters make fair points, except that Kim is a gidrul.

Dan's dismissal doesn't move me much either way. He could be annoying, talked a bit too much merda/smack at times, undignified for a guy in his position, but he didn't really bother me a great deal. Seemed to me he did what he was supposed to do for the most part. The journalistic end of this industry is generally full of buffoons, and he isn't the worst, putting aside the undeniable irony of a man who's spent his life in a state of morbid obesity offering critical comment on the planet's most taxing athletic pursuit.

12. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    That would require a forklift...

POTUS likes this.
  13. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    This content is protected

14. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    I've been disengaged from boxing during Covid but wanted to comment on this now that I'm catching up. Apologies for the mini-necro.

He was, for a time, the best *reporter* in boxing. He was a mediocre analyst but delivered scoops, which is why ESPN paid him. But he lost his edge over the past year; you could see it coming. He wasn't breaking much news anymore and doesn't bring much else to the table -- and my impression was he had a comfortable six-figure salary -- so ESPN chose not to renew.

I got laid off once and it was devastating, so my sympathies to him on that. Especially right now. He has been reduced to retweeting ******* articles. I fear he has found his level. At any rate, he took it like a pro on social media. I don't wish him any ill will and understand that many others have it much worse.

Holler and vast like this.
  15. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    I think he pissed off Arum one too many times.
    He didnt fit in at ESPN anymore, no pun intended, as they were going more glitzy.
    He really did build ESPN up as a boxing resource, virtually on his own.

Holler and Lesion of Doom like this.