Daniel Dubois vs Kevin Lerena

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Chuck Norris, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Does Lerena switch stances during a fight? If not, it is strange that Dubois' trainer is working the mitts with him right handed, using left jabs, etc. I'm sure they know what they're doing and Dubois has probably seen a lot of southpaws in his amateur career, but I would have thought that the trainer would have Dubois see almost all right jabs and left hands before fighting a southpaw? A lot of right handed fighters are so used to parrying a jab with their right hand...but if they do that against a southpaw jab it leaves them open for the left. Dubois knows what to do, but habits are hard to break.

Serge likes this.
  2. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    I liked this Lerena guy at the press conference

I will bet $50 on him.

Very good odds on him and he has all the confidence that I need to see from a boxer, before the fight.

Hood. and Serge like this.
  3. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Jesus his jab sounds like a full blooded hook landing on those pads.

Frankie Blue Eyes and Serge like this.
  4. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Not sure to be honest. He's a southpaw but he might switch stances sometimes

Pat M likes this.
  5. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    He's ridiculously heavy handed. Lerena looks like a quality operator from the brief bits of footage I've seen and he's tough and has never been down and I think he would do very well against many other HWs and I think he will against Dubois too if he can take the power or avoid getting caught clean with something big for any length of time. But it's a big if because that natural size advantage for Dubois and that huge power of his can end the fight at any moment.

6. Hood.

Hood. Realist Full Member

Jul 6, 2022
    I also put money on Lerena at those odds. I think Dubois' power is a little overrated

7. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Dubois shot down the handshake and Lerena wasn't happy about it

This content is protected

8. ShovelHook

Jul 22, 2019
    I've seen Lerena before and I rate his ability, I personally think he was well on his way to becoming a legit champion at cruiserweight (not that IBO bull****). His move to heavyweight just as he was in line for a title shot at cruiser always perplexed me but I guess he's making much bigger bucks taking on the likes of Dubois compared to Opetaia or Makabu. Dubois should be able to put him away if his power is as fearsome as we reckon it is. Lerena does have a very good chin and good elusiveness when he tries it but he can be found and might well be hurt.

Serge likes this.
  9. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Yeah. It's not that I think Dubois is some ATG killer or anything. I rate him but it's just his power and his jab which impresses me. Skill for skill Lerena looks the superior fighter to me but Dubois is so much naturally bigger and his power is devastating for HW and he looks quicker and more fluid than before. I hope it lasts a while though because I'm interested in seeing how they deal with what each other brings to the table.

ShovelHook likes this.
  10. ShovelHook

Jul 22, 2019
    Yeah I'd be massively underwhelmed if it turned into a quick blowout. As you said the clash of styles is enticing and could catch fire. It's a far more interesting prospect than the main event anyway.

Serge likes this.
  11. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    It will be in Dubois' best interests for it to last a while give how they chose a smaller southpaw for a specific reason. But then again, if Lerena can hang around I expect him to have success if he can close the distance and get past the jab. Lerena's record doesn't suggest he's a big puncher but he looks like he packs a bit of a punch to me, especially with the added weight, and he looks dangerous with the combinations too.

ShovelHook and Pat M like this.
  12. Caliboxing

Caliboxing Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Dubois by tko4. That right hand will be the cryptonite-nite to the southpaw. This guy talked trash then extends his hand for a handshake, lol. Got left in the cold.

13. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Once again, for the umpteenth time, they tried to lock Serge up in an asylum for the criminally insane for merely speaking the truth again. I told you Lerena was no mug and that if Dubois didn't possess that murderous power I wouldn't fancy his chances here and without it he would've unquestionably lost tonight. Hell, if Lerena had just let his hands go in round 2 he very likely would've won.

AJ failed his step up to CW Level x 2

Fury was dropped and very nearly failed his step up to CW Level

Dubois was dropped x 3 and very nearly lost on his

Bakole was stopped on his by Michael Hunter

Diamond Boy Charr failed his CW Level test against Briedis

Valuev failed his CW Level test against Haye

Arreola failed his CW Level test against Adamek

Povetkin struggled badly when he made the step up to CW Level against Huck and Michael ''The Bounty'' Hunter

Chisora failed his CW Level tests against Haye and Usyk

Mike, Buster Douglas, Bowe (second fight when the Real Deal showed up) many other HWs failed their CW Level tests against Holyfield

Listen to what Prof. Kevin Johnson has to say here about CW Level

Timestamped

Perkin Warbeck, Oddone and CST80 like this.
  14. Komaster

Komaster Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Sep 20, 2010
    then it wouldnt be Dubois :lol:

Also i think Dubois was hit with a temple shot right? He did quite well to recover from what i saw. Maybe he's got glass ears like AJ . I'd never seen Lerena but he did have some good wins and am gutted I missed this as it was an intriguing match up.

Serge likes this.
  15. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    It's a pity Kevin Lerena chose to take a dive after mistakenly hurting Dubois today. He robbed me of my chance to gloat.:sisi1