Darcy versus SRR

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by holysmoker, Jan 22, 2011.

1. gregluland

gregluland Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Total BS

2. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Ding, Ding, Ding....

Looks like this one's gone past the championship rounds.

Is it a fight to the finish?

3. Chuck1052

Chuck1052 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2013
    At the time that Les Darcy was active, a main event was usually scheduled for twenty rounds in Australia. Darcy's most formidable American opponents generally fought in bouts scheduled for ten rounds or less back home. I found it amusing when reading about four-round fighters from California going to Australia to fight in twenty-round bouts during the early 1920s. That is quite a handicap!

- Chuck Johnston

4. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    Hahahaha No I am still here, I just got bored with Klomptons silliness, I don't know who Bobby Sinn was but he was typical of any Aussie who knows a bit about Darcy, anyway I ain't him. I think Klumpy eventually realised I wasn't Sinn later on.

5. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    G'Day Boiler, a poster on another forum brought this thread up as one of the most entertaining ever so I decided to revisit the thread again because over the years I had softened towards Klompy but reading some of the stuff he wrote here I can understand why most of the Aussies here and myself were so outraged, not once did he provide links so I spent many many many hours looking up to see if there was any substance to his assertions but alas not much, he was right in a way but his interpretations of all these reports and stories was totally biased. What amazes me is that none of anything in 28 pages was about a fight between SRR and Darcy, that fight is a hard one to imagine, I am not sure how that would have gone as Darcy never had rge chance to even hit his prime yet he was seemingly invincible. The stuff about Fulton was a sideshow and the stuff about Jeff Smith also, Klompton asserted that Smith knocked Darcy out in fight one and he was robbed of a TKO is unfair and untrue, the reports clearly state that his mate Dave Smith threw in the towel without prompting from Darcy who fought on after the incident and indeed was going strong so after the round is over with Darcy fighting hard, how is that a TKO ?........ When Darcy later fought Dave Smith twice, he beat Dave up pretty bad it seems, maybe he remembered Dave wrecking his chances and gave him extra punishment, I am not saying this is what Darcy felt but I am not happy that Dave threw in the towel in his fit of anger.................. I would say that Darcy vs SRR would be a far tougher fight than many here would imagine, having said that, SRR is my GOAT if I was forced to choose one but there are some fighters who had gobsmackingly awesome records like Packey McFarland and even more gobsmacking was the record and career of Young Griffo.. who had 168 fights I think before he ever lost a fight and there are serious doubts he lost that fight. Griffo is maybe the greatest enigma of all, even more so than Darcy.

6. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Zzzzz. Boring. You aussies got your asses kicked in this thread years ago. No reason to revisit it now. Ive said my piece. Anyone wishing to p**** out the truth can go read the accounts for themselves and research all of these Darcy related incidents, I have, you clearly havent. Not being bated into some pointless discussion. But since you asked, yes I have films of Jeff Smith and no you will never see them:

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/klompton/vlcsnap-2015-08-15-23h47m24s100_zpsu7hky7ek.png
    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/klompton/vlcsnap-2015-08-15-23h46m34s79_zpsdczplbpl.png

The closest you will ever get to see Smith moving is here at 14 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkkMfTQz6WQ

Then again I have a lot of films that would be of interest to clown like you from the land down under but this is as close as you'll ever get to those:

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/klompton/vlcsnap-2015-08-15-23h56m19s240_zpso4mot6o8.png
    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/klompton/vlcsnap-2015-08-15-23h56m47s60_zps8k94g8pa.png
    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/klompton/vlcsnap-2015-08-15-23h56m56s158_zps8qgnpdt7.png
    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/klompton/vlcsnap-2015-08-16-00h03m46s132_zpsqkwvgg7y.png
    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/klompton/vlcsnap-2015-08-15-23h57m45s111_zpsxpe2fzzh.png
    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/klompton/vlcsnap-2015-08-15-23h57m57s22_zpsflpci1tg.png
    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/klompton/vlcsnap-2015-08-15-23h58m23s0_zpsltjtib91.png

Youre welcome clown.

7. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    Only in your little world bubble you beat us, look Steven, I am not here to trash talk, I will not play your game. I want to say well done getting your book out and that video is excellent, so well done there but you still didn't beat me on this thread, you always sidestepped my questions to you with the same old thing, I disagree with your interpretation of these events, all you gave was hearsay. I didn't bring the Fulton thing up, a bloke who is now deceased did (Sinn) so lets not denigrate him now that he can't fight back. You said at times you liked Darcy yet other times you said terrible things about him.... slacker you inferred which is just part of the smear campaign that Baker and McIntosh started, oh yeah and Billy the prime minister too wanted to destroy this young man who left Australia to make money, yes despite all you claimed he came from a background of despairing poverty like most great fighters. ........................................... ........................................................................................... ............................... Darcy did achieve much as a boxer and more than Harry had at that time and Harry was OLDER than Les but younger in terms of experience. I admire Greb more than you admire Darcy (you clearly don't), and I never said a bad word about Harry or rated him low like you do with Darcy. Now you claim I never did any research on Darcy, that is far from true, I have read more than most have on him and done hundreds of hours of research and I can show you a thread where I stored more newspaper reports on his career than you would believe.. ............................................................. ......................................................................................... .............................. You are now a published author and should try to get along with people better than you were doing 3 years ago, respect goes both ways Mr Compton, in fact on another forum I started a Harry Greb by Steven Compton thread a week ago, in it I put your interview up and your teaser video there as well so it seems I have given you more respect than you have given me. I have not bought your book, maybe I will but the way you sneer and refuse to budge even when given clear proof that you may not be correct bothers me and others. I see that two or three guys put up a link where Mick King clearly says he was there at the Fulton spar and said that Fulton refused to go on after the second round and that Fulton couldn't get near him. Mick King was respected by most as far as I can see, he was a victim of Darcy and not a top notch boxer compared to Smith or Chip or McGoorty but he was a good fighter nonetheless, better I am sure than you are/were. You dismissed this report as King simply being a Darcy convert and that he and others made up the story.... besides you said here, "show me one single quote from anyone who was actually there", proof was delivered yet you then changed tack and attacked the good name of King. Anyway unless something new can be added to this thread let it go, you do have the right of course to reply to this but no more trash talk and name calling. I am no slouch at boxing history, many many posters have said as much before now. .................. Good luck on book sales Steven, Harry Greb deserves to be better known that is beyond dispute.

8. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    Don't call me a clown ok, I do not sink low like that so why make yourself look petty ?????

9. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    That is very sad news that Bobby Sinn aka Flamengo on this forum has passed away. He was one of my favourite posters, despite a short temper that made Klompton and McVey look like passivists.

I remember the Sinn-Klompton Feud which i got fairly heavyily involved in and which spewed across a couple of different forums and continued even though many of the posters including klompton himself actually got banned from the forum for unrelated posting. I know i got involved after one of Klomptons quips, something about an aussie pub brawl.

At the time, Klompton was pretty much untouchable on the forums. One of my favourite posters, i must admit, with a wealth of knowledge taht only the likes of Matt Donnellon, Clay Moyle and other similar authors of books could even go close to competing with but he mixed this with a temper and attitude that McVey and Mendoza would have been proud of. I can remember Old Fogey was one of the few who attempted to take him on and he ended up with a "beating" that has never been seen in internet history at the time. In fact, i dont think that old Fogey has ever been seen since, which is actually a real shame, because he was always a good poster.

Anyway, when Sinn ripped into Klompton over this topic, I think this might have even be Sinn's debut post, as he returned from an outing as a poster called Flamengo it was something out of the ordinary. Sinn, for his part has a far better knowledge of the Australian game, at a local level than Klompton or any other fighter could ever have. Probably not as much as a historian in the sense of many who have written books and nowadays surf the internet daily, but a far better knowledge than what can be garnered from reading newspapers and searching the internet. This is the biggest weakness in the knowledge of guys like KLompton and even appollack and others, if those posters do have a weakness. Klompton in particualar loves to dispose of boxing myths and for the most part can competently do so, but he also does have a bad habit of declaring fact just a little too early, which is exactly what happened on the Fulton Darcy sparring story, imo.

Anyway, back to the story, i know i went into this fued thinking that Les Darcy like most who died young and are said to be untouchable, was highly overated and not as good as he was cracked up to be. But after the pub quip i just figured why not teach Klompton a bit about an aussie pub brawl and came in in such a manner ie one in all in.

AFter going through this fued and looking into Darcy's career, i must say that i came away with a much better appreciation of his career. He was every bit as good as what he was a made out and it is one of the great shames that he never fought much in the usa.

Though the course of this feud, i learned that:
    Even Klompton admitted that Darcy would ahve started favourite over Harry Greb in the early years he fought there.
    That Jack Dempsey claimed that he was trying to get a fight with Darcy. This was around the time of the Fireman Jim Flynn loss. I think Darcy would have started favourite (in hindsight) if this fight had come off.
    Darcy sparred and beat the No 1 contender Fred Fulton, probably by stoppage.
    His fights in Australia saw him win a World championship and achieve what virtually nobody had, at the same age. Not ketchell or many of the others greats who died young.

All in all, i think that was a good win for team Darcy. The Fulton spar though was what i found the most interesting part of the discussion. Certainly it was confirmed beyond doubt that this spar occurred. What occurred though is obviously still debateable even though there is enough first hand direct evidence and eyewitness testimony to legally prove beyond reasonable doubt.

It is worth noting that Nobody, not KLompton or anyone else was able to prove it didnt happen, or that the witnesses were lying. Many did cast doubt. I think it was Slakka or Senya who found a report on a spar between the two at Goshen which came the closest. Klompton also has some brilliant info on, i think it was, one of the people whose managers was said to be there who was supposed to be in the midwest, at the time, although this proof failed when that managers fighter was found to turn up in New York a couple of days after the alleged Fulton Darcy spar. Similar things happened with the attempts to discredit Jack Dempsey's claims that his connection witnessed the spar. From memory at least one Fulton resident made claims of witnessing it, and of course there is Mick King.

All in all, things finished with Darcy's myth holding up, although obviously some people will have different views and in reality noone knows the truth. I call that a win to team Darcy.

Anyway, back to the tradition of the great aussie pub brawl, i see Greg, who came into the feud later has extended a bit of an olive branch (of sorts) by offering to tone it down and keep it civil. I feel, this is not a bad idea, and wait with baited interest to see a civil and interesting discussion continue in appropriate way.

In fact, i look forward to reading Klompton's next book, which i understdand will be called

Les Darcy: Lived faster, Died younger.

10. AlFrancis

AlFrancis Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Bobby Sinn aka Flamengo is alive and well.

11. Boilermaker

Oct 6, 2004
    Excellent. Very good to hear.

Thanks

12. BeerGut

BeerGut Member Full Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Yep, I've seen him posting elsewhere today.

13. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    It was a long time ago but someone told me Bobby passed away, he disappeared during the middle of this thread, I hope I am wrong but.

14. gregluland

Apr 20, 2011
    That is good news and I am happy to apologise for getting my wires crossed, it was a long time back, sorry guys.

15. AlFrancis

AlFrancis Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2008
    I've just been talking to him. He said reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated :lol: