Dave Allen retires

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Trafford, Nov 15, 2020.

1. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Dave Allen would be a terrible plumber, he'd be late, spend half of the time on his phone and have a tea break every hour.

N17 and Safin like this.
  2. Sap1en

Sap1en Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2020

He quit against Kuzmin, just sat on his stool, didn't want to dig in and fight but he still got paid after a few rounds.
    2 Weeks notice bicep tear.

He quit Chisora, did the old David Price lean back on the ropes, deep breaths, looking upwards, knowing full well he would either be stopped or his corner would throw in the towel and got paid again.
    2 Weeks notice, corner decision.

Kash Ali, Ali was DQ's but Price was starting to struggle in that.
    Price Dominated that fight and Ali was about to be put into a coma.

Sokolowski, a 6 round decision, not exiting whatsoever.
    Decent 6 round fight with the aim of going the rounds.

Hammer, gassed out on usual Price style, bent over, gasping for air, leaning on the ropes, wobbling around on Jelly legs because he has hamster lungs and got paid again.
    Coldwell's genius at work with additional weight.

Tom Little? Exciting? Really?
    Decent enough fight for what it was?

Dave Allen, Allen is a man who never really throws any punches, he was awalking punchbag and Price hit him repeatedly for 10 rounds before it ended, 10 rounds of one fighter punching the other, not exciting.
    Boxing masterclass at it's level

All those are in his last 10'p fights? How many "last chance saloons" do we have to watch? Or be forced to watch? And be forced to pay for?

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, if you mean it's exciting that Price may, just may KO somebody if he lands then OK, or if you mean a fighter gassing out and folding is exciting?

Because I'm not seeing it. The man was being called the heir apparent to the Klitschkos,we found out rather quickly when old man Thompson beat him up twice that wasn't the case.

Everybody has to let it go, AUDLEY HARRISON had more of a successful career than Price.
    Debatable and many would disagree.

You are entitled to your opinion of course and losses are losses but it doesn't take away that he has had very memorable moments in his career and many entertaining fights so far, which is the point I was making.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  3. Sap1en

Dec 1, 2020
    In fairness to him he came in at late notice and saved the PPV.

Safin likes this.
  4. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013

That list of excuses is outrageous LOL, incredible work, I'm actually impressed.

I don't understand why you are mentioning how much notice he had?

It's a CHOICE, he wasn't FORCED to take this fights, nobody insisted he did, he wanted money and stepped in to get paid.

He rented himself out like a body seller, that can't be used as an excuse for his pee poor performances and embarrassing attitude.

Also, when he took those fights he never mentioned his lack of notice BEFORE the fight, he only mentioned it AFTER the fight, normally when he was splattered or quit like a female dog.

No, it's not DEBATABLE if Audley was more successful, we can only judge them on what they won, Audley won British, Commonwealth and European titles, Price didn't win all those.

Audley also fought for a world title, Price was tipped to take over from the K brothers, yet didn't fight for a world title, not even an eliminator.

So Harrison was more successful in terms of achievements. I don't see how you can make a case Price was, that's a ridiculous claim to be honest.

The fact is Price was hyped up, blown up, given the big build up when he turned pro and his best win/performance is probably beating Dave Allen.. a walking punchbag.

Price never had it, he hasn't got it, and the sooner he announces his retirement the better for British boxing, he is an embarrassment, he keeps turning up, saying the same old crap and getting paid to either get knocked out or quit.

He should be ridiculed far more than Audley Harrison is/was, Hearn sees him like a charity case, gives him paydays because Hearn says he is a nice guy and he really likes him... not because he is talented and will do anything of note in boxing.

5. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Dave, the boiler's gone off can you recommend anyone?

No problem fella, I'll come round and sort it!

But you said you'd called it a day?

That was the old Dave. I'm a new plumber now. I live and breathe plumbing 24/7. I can't wait to get back on the job.

**** off Dave and give me the number of a real plumber.

6. hobby rider

hobby rider Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Haha yeah I meant price, Dave Allen’s head is probably too big to fit under the sink.

EJC83, Holler and Safin like this.
  7. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    They probably do in their own country.

17 and a silver medal, losing to one of the ATG amateurs, is a huge achievement. It merited the hype at the time regardless of how things turned out. This was also before the days of being blessed with stacks of medalists.

Holler likes this.
  8. Sap1en

Dec 1, 2020
    You are entitled to your opinion I think the context of the fights, eras and performances matter. I think his performance against Dave Allen was great but his best win may be against Sam Sexton or maybe McDermott? Depends on how you want to look at it.

Honestly I'm surprised anybody can dislike him as he has continued to get back in the ring. It's very rare that a fighter will talk about short notice prior to the fight himself I believe.

Audley did win those belts you are right but similarly Price was also WBA continental champion and beat a man who beat former world champion Lucas Brown in the previous fight.

Either way I'm happy to agree to disagree but I still think a lot of British Boxing fans would agree he is entertaining. Showed a lot of heart in the fight vs Povetkin also which was another fairly short notice fight.

9. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    I do love your Price rants

N17 likes this.
  10. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Browne was not a world champion. He held the WBA (regular) belt, the same belt Charr held onto for about 4 years without having a single bout. Don't be duped by the title, it's a second string belt and isn't required to become undisputed champion for that reason. Does anybody consider Trevor Bryan a world champion?

That version of Browne was also awful and the stoppage was definitely suspicious to my eye. And especially considering that it was property investor expert Dave Allen. Look at his last 'performance'...

11. N17

Feb 16, 2013
    I'll say again, nobody forced him to take those fights, he was happy to take the money and do the pressers saying he was fit, healthy and ready to go.

Price can't turn around after it all goes wrong AGAIN and complain about short notice.

If Price was that good or just good then he would have been signed with a good promoter, and then been the "home fighter" and not the "opponent" on short notice.

Again, speaks volumes Price wasn't/isn't signed with anybody, works on a deal by deal basis on short notice because nobody really wants the commitment of having to get him fights.. and then watch him either gas out, quit or get knocked out.

Hearn says himself that he likes Price and he's a nice guy, and wants to get him paydays, well boxing is a sport not a charity and if I'm paying for it I don't want to just be padding some fighters pension who doesn't deserve it.

You're just proving my point, a man that was tipped to be "the heir of the Klitschkos" and we are deciding if his best win is ... DAVE ALLEN, SAM SEXTON OR JOHN MCDERMOTT.

As for the WBA continental title, can't you just say "Dave Allen" instead of "the man who beat former world champion Lucas Browne".. it was Dave Allen. That's his best win in my opinion, Dave "The Walking Punchbag" Allen.

Still, Audley achieved more in boxing as an amateur and a pro and he is an object of ridicule, he earnt more money than Price too, so Price should really get worse stick and makes me wonder why he doesn't.

As for Povetkin, that was the biggest Russian Attack on the central nervous system since Salisbury, Price was iced. Sure he had a go but that's the MINIMUM you'd expect from any fighter, have a go, we complain when fighters don't, Price did and I should praise him?

That's to me is like my Spurs losing 8-0 and praising them for running around a bit.

As for disliking him, it's not personal with him, I'm sure is a nice person but as a fighter he is stealing a living and he shouldn't be anywhere near PPV cards (not his fault).

Yeah cool, we can agree to disagree, it's nothing personal, just opinions.

Sap1en likes this.
  12. N17

Feb 16, 2013

:risas3:

Anybody would think we were engaged once and he left me at the altar.. even I know I sound bitter and twisted but I can't stop myself, it's like I have tourettes :lol:

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  13. N17

Feb 16, 2013
    :lol:

In my mind, Dave Allen as a plumber.. he'd just turn up and stand there, you leave him to it and come back 2-3 hours later and he would still be standing in the same spot.

Then just before 5pm he would have a little mess around with the spanner, then just stop and say..

"I didn't do any training before I became a plumber, but I'm going to go away and take it seriously now, I've let myself down, let My Boss Eddie down, it won't happen again, this is my last chance "

Then He would be back a month later and do and say the exact same thing :lol:

14. N17

Feb 16, 2013
    Dave Allen on IFL again, why?

Why does Kugan even want to talk to him?
    What does he really have to offer on the subject of boxing?
    How many more times is he going to talk about that Usyk spar?

I'm sick of this crap, get Froch on, I don't actually like Froch but I respect him, he has been there and done it on several occasions. I'd much rather listen to the Cobra than Dave Allen.

Why in Britain do the majority seem to love losers and quitters? It speak volumes about us as people, a country and maybe explains why we are in a terrible state as a country.

We love losers, quitters and victims and abuse, condemn and want to kill the successful.

15. Sap1en

Dec 1, 2020
    It's still a world title despite it's drop in profile. I consider Povetkin to be a former world champion, same with David Haye.