Dave Allen retires

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Trafford, Nov 15, 2020.

1. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    I was going to say. Presumably he owns his properties in Doncaster and is that even a city where there is a large number of renters? I would have thought property is so cheap there that it would be quite easy for most people to become homeowners. If Dave owns some properties in London then that’s another story. Who knows?

First thing that came to my mind was that there could be a medical issue there that he doesn’t want to disclose publicly.

2. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    I don't think most boxers understand the expenses and constant headaches of being a landlord too. They can be somewhat reduced by using some sort of agency to manage your property but that eats in to any potential monthly profit. All in all owning 2 flats does not set you up for life I'm pretty sure. How many times did Allen even get a good payday, Price?

3. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    Yep. Mould problems, damage caused by tenants, washing machine ****ed etc etc, you need to be ready to fund repairs ad hoc. Not easy and as you said, requires a steady flow of income as a safety net. But I bet he will get loads of gigs on Sky or something. Don’t think he would have retired without having some sort of venture on the horizon. He was signed to MTK so could probably get on the payroll there doing something.

NasalSpray likes this.
  4. Oneirokritis

Oneirokritis The Scourge of Stupid Idiots. Full Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Give it a few weeks.

5. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    He’ll obviously be back. He’s done this many times before and sadly it feels like the boy who cried wolf.

Odd timing anyway, wonder what’s triggered it?

6. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    To me the timing suggests it’s probably not a decision he will reverse since he was going to get a fight in December. Allen has been an attention seeker in the past but the timing here suggests it’s probably a genuine retirement.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  7. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I'm surprised he's gone out so dignified, I would have expected a big sob story, a video with some melancholic music playing in the background and quotes and comments from Barker, Hearn etc playing over it, a huge send off for a guy that never won or challenged for any title of any sort other than the Lad Bible Heavyweight Banter Belt. I expect that's to come.

I'm sorry, I was done with Allen a long time ago, that Darch fight was an absolute joke.

PatCash likes this.
  8. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Shot fighter. Smart move imo. Can see him carving out a role in boxing media somewhere, very fan friendly persona.

9. PatCash

PatCash Member Full Member

Aug 9, 2019
    Surely failed a medical or something, he's gone from sparring with Usyk, once again being in the 'best shape of his life' and a fight with Hammer, now with a walkover opponent to fight in two weeks time and he's decided to retire. Must be something going on behind closed doors if all these outlets he's associated with are reporting it, seems like its a proper retirement this time but I question the reasoning.

im sparticus and CutThroatFade like this.
  10. djfonti

djfonti Active Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Fair play to him. He can go from being a bang average fighter stealing a living because he's 'wacky' to being a buy to let landlord coining it in from low income families.

jimmyonebomb and CutThroatFade like this.
  11. Felix Sanchez

Felix Sanchez Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    I suspect this is frustration with fights falling through after putting in the training. Imagine it is quite demoralising and he is not the best upstairs.

12. hammertime

hammertime Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Your right he even has an imaginary wife and kids

13. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I would love to believe that Dave Allen was actually retired

But he is too unstable and bad with money to not be tempted back.

14. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Finished?

Big Dave Price broke the heart of the Doncaster Willcox Toyah

15. PatCash

PatCash Member Full Member

Aug 9, 2019
    He's said on instagram that Usyk gave him concussion in sparring probably knows he's shot to bits now

jimmyonebomb and Patter983 like this.